XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been in a great mood. Got a lot done, too. And now have ribs going in the oven. Why ? How's things for you ?

People that have a strike fantasy are not okay. You should never want a strike or want to need to strike. People like that are worth all the bad words and dirty names you can come up with. Clueless ass hats that have never been apart of it and think they know anything about what they are talking about. Dumb is dangerous. I am trying to clear that up for you. There are a lot of people that read this forum and that have put years into the union and have been places and seen things. You are sounding foolish, when you glorify strike as any sort of a good thing.

Me too! Everything is about as good as it could be. I'll be better next year when I'm on the beach on some Caribbean Island...Retired! Just finished my ribs. Refer to Post 6366 and 6379 where I agree with you that no one wants a strike. Despite that agreement, you continue to infer that I am in favor of a strike. So, last word on the topic. I am NOT in favor of a strike.

Me too! Everything is about as good as it could be. I'll be better next year when I'm on the beach on some Caribbean Island...Retired! Just finished my ribs. Refer to Post 6366 and 6379 where I agree with you that no one wants a strike. Despite that agreement, you continue to infer that I am in favor of a strike. So, last word on the topic. I am NOT in favor of a strike.
Who is fantasizing about a strike ?

See post #6388. My point is having a union won't change the real problem at XPO. It might alter some things locally. But really, that isn't the solution that is needed.

The solution that is needed is to put executives and middle management in place that understand the business from a practical point of view and NOT from a computer program. The best supervisors I've ever had worked their way up through the system. If one has never been in a truck or on a forklift, then get in one to see firsthand what we have to deal with on a daily basis. Had that happened and those people understood the value of an experienced driver we might not be discussing this topic right now.

However, having a union does mitigate many issues.

You ask how is YRC a lie ? Because they sold the rank and file up the river twice. You got punked twice is how it was a lie. 10 years of lies is how it was a lie. They rigged the books to make the merger and they have rigged the books ever since to dodge the banks and the government and the pension fund and everyone else they ever stole money from.

Then you follow up with completely pointless questions that are off the topic, whole nother discussion.

The health care at XPO is offensive. If you are sick or you have a child that is sick. You can't afford to work here.

XPO LTL is without a contract. To my knowledge. Fairly certain that if one is ever agreed to that it will be made known.
So all of this is just your opinion correct?

I disagree. A union can oppose a company just as easily as they can work together l.

And I said "negotiate against"

What I see union membership complain about is the union leadership being TOO close to the company management.

When a group of people come out of a meeting with suits and briefcases , can you tell whose on the side of the working class? How about when they leave the golf course?
If members violated of course they oppose.

Members complain but fail to hold officials accountable by filing grievances so if there is problems in your shop but don’t inform your rep how is he to know what goes on?

So what do you wear to panel hearings/negotiations blue jeans and T-shirt’s? Hoffa Sr wore suits. Hell I’ve been to panel hearings win a road case then after me and company rep have drinks at the bar (I’ve always bought my own).

And you keep missing that it is managements decisions that are the point. We got bought. They keep changing things at the corporate level. Even if we were a union shop. There is nothing the union can do about it. According to your posts. So why do you keep lying and telling these people that voting in a union will stop this or change things ? When your established union can't stop this or change things for you ?

The Yellow/Roadway purchase happened. The XPO/Con-way purchase happened. One was union. One was not. In both cases the drivers lost.
You tried it management decisions is for management to handle. Union contracts protects members work in a working shop as long as the management fulfill their end if the bargain. Contract pays agreed upon rates as well as health and welfare benefits. That would be common sense if mismanagement happens by corporate, the union can’t step in and run company, but they can’t fulfill their part in helping prevent closure if the members allows it. Good try in twisting can you please throw something factual my way instead of your opinion?

Who is fantasizing about a strike ?

Hollywoodz:
Anything is possible, but the more bullets in the gun, the better chance of hitting your target. Lets face facts...the THREAT of a strike is the best tool in the union toolbox. Maybe more so than a strike itself. If one or two terminals decide to strike, we have maybe a 50/50 chance of success. Who blinks first??? If 20 or 30 terminals stand strong together, we win. post 6630

I can't figure out how to quote from a previous page.

Here he is all Yosemite Sam. Who blinks first and so on. This post seems to very much glorify throwing your job away in a blaze of glory for some moral victory.

The guys that are winning around here are working elsewhere right now. XPO has no love for drivers.

The solution that is needed is to put executives and middle management in place that understand the business from a practical point of view and NOT from a computer program. The best supervisors I've ever had worked their way up through the system. If one has never been in a truck or on a forklift, then get in one to see firsthand what we have to deal with on a daily basis. Had that happened and those people understood the value of an experienced driver we might not be discussing this topic right now.

However, having a union does mitigate many issues.

I understand you had some specific local issues. And those got resolved through this process. And for that, you must be happy with yourselves. I think you did the right think as that goes. You found a way to make an impact that directly improved your situation.

And I think we both understand that it won't fix the greater problem. The real true problem. The reality is that Con-way is dead. XPO isn't a shipping company, they make their money on 3PL. And the LTL isn't generating the revenue that they want. And they don't want to spend a dime on it. Cut and gut. Slash and cash. More with less. You lost 20 drivers ? To bad. Your goals just got raised. The bar is higher than ever. Profits over people. Make it happen. We don't care how.

You tried it management decisions is for management to handle. Union contracts protects members work in a working shop as long as the management fulfill their end if the bargain. Contract pays agreed upon rates as well as health and welfare benefits. That would be common sense if mismanagement happens by corporate, the union can’t step in and run company, but they can’t fulfill their part in helping prevent closure if the members allows it. Good try in twisting can you please throw something factual my way instead of your opinion?

Not twisting a thing. You don't read or comprehend. You believe that you can argue something with me that I am not arguing. I keep saying what I have to say. Other people understand it and reply intelligently. You consistently do not.

And that's not to say we all get each other 100%. It's a message forum. Sometimes things don't come across in type as you expect. But for the most part. I understand what the other XPO drivers are saying and they understand me. And then there is you. An outsider with no clue what he is talking about making absurd arguments. I guess you just really feel that you need the attention.

And that's fine. But you are going to have to put on ignore if you don't straighten up and fly right. And maybe that's what you want. I rite of passage of sorts. So that you can be one of the cool kids on my ignore list. Is that all this is ? You want in the clique ? Honestly, I wish there was a separate button. Even the people I have on ignore don't deserve that. They would actually read and combat my posts. It just went a bit to far to often. You aren't worthy of a place with them on that list. You're just annoying. And pretty frakking dumb. And before you feel you need to ask. Yes, that is my opinion.

Not twisting a thing. You don't read or comprehend. You believe that you can argue something with me that I am not arguing. I keep saying what I have to say. Other people understand it and reply intelligently. You consistently do not.

And that's not to say we all get each other 100%. It's a message forum. Sometimes things don't come across in type as you expect. But for the most part. I understand what the other XPO drivers are saying and they understand me. And then there is you. An outsider with no clue what he is talking about making absurd arguments. I guess you just really feel that you need the attention.

And that's fine. But you are going to have to put on ignore if you don't straighten up and fly right. And maybe that's what you want. I rite of passage of sorts. So that you can be one of the cool kids on my ignore list. Is that all this is ? You want in the clique ? Honestly, I wish there was a separate button. Even the people I have on ignore don't deserve that. They would actually read and combat my posts. It just went a bit to far to often. You aren't worthy of a place with them on that list. You're just annoying. And pretty frakking dumb. And before you feel you need to ask. Yes, that is my opinion.
Your trying to say what actually is your opinion. I just tell what I’ve seen on both sides in office and from truck which is fact. If you don’t like facts I’m sorry just be a viewer on this thread.

Not teamsters either
IAM has nearly 500,000 members ( according to them )

And when USAirways workers had an election to choose representation between the Teamsters or the Machinists , they chose the Machinists - a quote from the article:

Machinists Union Wins Election for 4,600 Mechanic and Related at US Airways

Washington, D.C., August 12, 2013 – In a contest overseen by the Nation Mediation Board (NMB), the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) today soundly defeated the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) in an election to represent nearly 4,600 Mechanic and Related employees at US Airways. The IAM received 1,903 votes, or 58 percent of all votes cast in the five-week election, while the IBT received 1,418 votes, less than 42 percent.

“This victory marks an important milestone for the Mechanic and Related group at US Airways,” said IAM Transportation Vice President Sito Pantoja. “By voting for the Machinists Union our members safeguarded their pensions and seniority heading into the merger with American Airlines while rejecting the empty promises of an organization with a history of corruption.

- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers website

P.S. - I will give the IAM credit. They have went to the XPO terminal nearby and put leaflets on the cars AND stuck around to talk to the employees.

In a similar situation the Teamsters stapled a flyer to the phone pole and took off like a bat out of hell when the terminal manager went out to say hi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.