XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if would be unionizers are smart , healthcare will be the focus of their efforts to gain support. Expenses will continue to rise ( in some cases dramatically ) and in XPO's case they have made a bid misstep by aligning themselves with such a poor company ( Matrix )

Keep in mind the age of the average CDL holder is in the 50's. Retirement and healthcare will continually move up in priority by default.

Healthcare is one of the main points of the economic package.

Funny you mention that- 12 of the 13 didn't support independence after Lexington and Concord. They sent the Olive Branch Petition to the king to try and patch things up with Britain. It was only after King George refused to read it and threatened to crush the rebellion by force that Paine wrote "Common Sense" and everyone got on the bandwagon.

If you want people to support you, you're going to need a persuasive argument. XPO isn't evil enough to justify a union on its own merits- the voting numbers speak for themselves. But hey, you guys just keep on telling us we owe the Teamsters something, or that we're scared company suck-asses, or that we have tiny testicles. We still own the scoreboard, and that's all that matters.

Thanks for the history lesson. Maybe I should write another "Common Sense" except those of you who don't have any wouldn't get it. If you did, you'd be able to specify your objections to unionization without so many generalizations. What exactly is your opposition to forming a union?

Yes, we know how much you guys like to remind us why we have any rights at all as workers. I can't imagine how glorious it would be to actually work with you and see you lifted up as a BA or steward for your courage and have you constantly remind everyone what a great job you did talking trash when all I did was vote. Hubris is a Teamster.

I'm beginning to think you're not even employed as a driver with XPO. I work in Miami and you have a standing invitation to come and work with me anytime you so choose. You couldn't shine my shoes, my friend. I don't have to remind anybody of what a great job I have been doing. They all see it first hand. It takes courage to stand for something against the odds we were facing. I don't claim courage as my own but I salute those who stand next to me. So, I have told you where I work...where is it that you work. Maybe I'll come see you and you can teach me how to be a better employee.

LOL. So we can't talk about the dumpster fire of Central States, because you won't be in the pension plan. But you want people to get excited about the Central States health plan?? Yeah, no.

Ignorant comment. Do you even know what Teamcare is? You can talk about whatever you choose. Everyone knows Central States pension is in trouble. However, let's not confuse Central States Pension with Central States Health. Central States Health is very much alive and thriving and provides some of the best coverage of any existing plan on the market today.

Depends on where you live and which plan you choose.

Sure, but there aren't any actual figures from the union side of XPO available because none of them have a contract yet.

But we're supposed to trust them that it will be "better", based on what a completely different company contract says, and without any contractual context. This from the people who constantly chide us about looking at one facet of our compensation in isolation.

You don't have to trust anybody about anything. Form your union and begin contract negotiations of your own. You can create your own contractual context and the best part is that the Teamsters Business Agents and attorneys do all this for FREE. You won't pay a dime in dues until you have a signed contract. Miami has been at the table for 3 and 1/2 years and not one driver has paid a single red cent for the efforts of the Teamsters. On top of that, if the Teamsters fail to negotiate a good contract for us, we can just walk away and thank them for their efforts. As I said...NO RISK!!!

For those of you who are still undecided about whether or not to form a union, let me say the following:

Miami has been in negotiations for 3 & 1/2 years. Every month, we meet for 2 or 3 days to bargain our contract. To date, not one driver or dockworker has paid a single dime in dues to the union. The Business Agents and attorneys have been negotiating on our behalf for FREE. In the end, if we are not satisfied with the contract being offered to us, we can simply walk away. NO RISK!!!

In Miami, single employee coverage on the Plus Plan is STILL 7.50 per week with a $400 deductible and $4000 maximum out of pocket. This plan is woefully inadequate, but not half as inadequate as the plan all of you have. Our rates have been frozen back to the day we certified.

Our disciplinary penalties have also been frozen back to the day we certified. We cannot be disciplined with Drive Cam. It's still a teaching tool.

We have an Interim Grievance and Arbitration process in place. If the company wishes to discipline a driver, our drivers can exercise their Weingarten Rights and have a steward present to witness the interview and/or investigation. More times than not, we can resolve the issue at hand without or with minimal discipline in a calm and reasonable manner.

The supervisory staff here in Miami has had a complete overhaul and I couldn't be happier with the choices the company has made. We work together as a unit, resolving the issues at hand with the utmost respect and cooperation. Our management staff makes a concerted effort to put us all in a position to succeed. As a result of all this, our drivers are happier, productivity is improving and we are making daily improvements in reaching our goals. Sure there are still problems, but for the first time in a long time, I am optimistic.

We prove daily that the relationship between union and management does NOT need to be adversarial. We prove daily that we are able to work together to implement company policy in a way that is fair and reasonable as it concerns the issue that our guys face every day. It's working.....

Well how much is the best plan and deductible for family coverage at your barn than?

Best how? I'm on an HSA. I traded lower premiums for higher deductibles, and then loaded the HSA fund with pretax money to cover the deductible all the way up to the family max out of pocket. I don't worry about paying medical bills and get a nice deduction at tax time. It's not what we used to have, but it works just fine.

Maybe I should write another "Common Sense" except those of you who don't have any wouldn't get it.

Come on now, you can do better than that.

What exactly is your opposition to forming a union?

A modern union is a collection of grifters and drama queens milking the reputation of past generation unions dry like the pods in the movie Cocoon. I loathe bureaucracy and street preaching. I want no part of the two sides constantly selling doomsday prophecies for leverage in the next round of contract talks. They are a broken sewer main of slick advertising aimed at stoking fear and resentment at a job that I enjoy. I believe we are paid fairly and treated well. I don't think that a union offers the power you believe it does, based on history and experience. I think the Teamsters are bloated and corrupt and will vote for self preservation over all and aren't fit to manage my coffee fund. They empower the worst and marginalize the best in employees. I've seen it, and I hate it.

I'm not the only one, others have seen it first hand as well. Nothing the union could get is worth the constant nausea of being represented by them and their fanboys.

I'm beginning to think you're not even employed as a driver with XPO.

Aw, you're not going there, are you? I already heard this from Sucker, and you're much better at arguing than he is.

You couldn't shine my shoes, my friend. I don't have to remind anybody of what a great job I have been doing. They all see it first hand.

So much for never flattering yourself.

It takes courage to stand for something against the odds we were facing.

What odds? You're exercising a federally protected right. I agree that it took courage to be one of the first barns to go, but come on. Let's not make a Gatorade commercial about flag football.

Ignorant comment. Do you even know what Teamcare is?

I do.

Everyone knows Central States pension is in trouble. However, let's not confuse Central States Pension with Central States Health.

That's pretty tough when they're attached to the same organization. They're even moving into the same building together!

Central States Health is very much alive and thriving and provides some of the best coverage of any existing plan on the market today.

For now. If you look at a chart of retirees to FTEs, that retiree line is going up and the FTE line is awfully flat. Know what else looks like that? The Teamsters and the CSPF 20 years ago. Hmmm. You know, if they could organize a big non union LTL, that would be a big funding boost to Central States, wouldn't it? Oh, it would go to Healthcare of course- surely there wouldn't be any fiduciary hanky panky in the new office. You believe that, right?

I do.

That's pretty tough when they're attached to the same organization. They're even moving into the same building together!

For now. If you look at a chart of retirees to FTEs, that retiree line is going up and the FTE line is awfully flat. Know what else looks like that? The Teamsters and the CSPF 20 years ago. Hmmm. You know, if they could organize a big non union LTL, that would be a big funding boost to Central States, wouldn't it? Oh, it would go to Healthcare of course- surely there wouldn't be any fiduciary hanky panky in the new office. You believe that, right?
Not all Teamsters are in the Cspf both UPS and UPGF aren't, but you probably know that already. A half truth is a whole lie.

Best how? I'm on an HSA. I traded lower premiums for higher deductibles, and then loaded the HSA fund with pretax money to cover the deductible all the way up to the family max out of pocket. I don't worry about paying medical bills and get a nice deduction at tax time. It's not what we used to have, but it works just fine.
Ok what family plans do they offer than at your barn. Some specific numbers would be much appreciated. You wanted a specific number from a plan in a union job and I gave out ours no problem. What are the premiums and deductibles than for your different family plans at your terminal. If they work just fine what do they cost?

What odds? You're exercising a federally protected right. I agree that it took courage to be one of the first barns to go, but come on. Let's not make a Gatorade commercial about flag football.

The company has shown consistently that they will stop at nothing to avoid the union. They have money to burn and a well trained team of union busters in their corner. Those are HUGE odds versus the employees in Laredo and Miami. and now 4 other terminals. I don't like Gatorade but maybe a Nike ad would be nice. You know..."Just Do It".

It's not tough at all. They are 2 separate and distinct entities. The pension fund is floundering. Central States Health is thriving. As in all forms of insurance, the more participants, the cheaper the rates. In fact, Central States Health has done so well, they put surplus back into the fund to increase benefits and decrease premiums. Any attempt to trash our current coverage and get into Central States is reason enough to want to certify. Any argument from you on this really hurts your credibility.

Come on now, you can do better than that.

A modern union is a collection of grifters and drama queens milking the reputation of past generation unions dry like the pods in the movie Cocoon. I loathe bureaucracy and street preaching. I want no part of the two sides constantly selling doomsday prophecies for leverage in the next round of contract talks. They are a broken sewer main of slick advertising aimed at stoking fear and resentment at a job that I enjoy. I believe we are paid fairly and treated well. I don't think that a union offers the power you believe it does, based on history and experience. I think the Teamsters are bloated and corrupt and will vote for self preservation over all and aren't fit to manage my coffee fund. They empower the worst and marginalize the best in employees. I've seen it, and I hate it.

I'm not the only one, others have seen it first hand as well. Nothing the union could get is worth the constant nausea of being represented by them and their fanboys.

All generalizations and all incorrect.

Ok what family plans do they offer than at your barn. Some specific numbers would be much appreciated. You wanted a specific number from a plan in a union job and I gave out ours no problem. What are the premiums and deductibles than for your different family plans at your terminal. If they work just fine what do they cost?

If there is anyone out there who can give specifics on Heath Care costs for XPO employees in 2018, please speak up. We still have numbers from 2014 here in Miami. When you see the difference, you'll realize that Health Care alone should be motivation enough to form your union. As I stated too many times before, if you are unhappy with the final version of your contract, you can always walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.