XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is anyone out there who can give specifics on Heath Care costs for XPO employees in 2018, please speak up. We still have numbers from 2014 here in Miami. When you see the difference, you'll realize that Health Care alone should be motivation enough to form your union. As I stated too many times before, if you are unhappy with the final version of your contract, you can always walk away.
I agree. What do employees pay for medical insurance is reason enough alone to seek something better if it's poor coverage.

The current insurance offered at Xpo is lacking at best. The company can do much better if they chose.
If what others say here is fine insurance they should have no problem revealing the details. Some attack in general terms that only end in name calling. I'm looking for specific details of the plans they are currently offered. Any contract is not going to give huge hourly gains but be fought on the benefits and working conditions front. I'm not name calling or flaming but asking for something specific that can mean thousands of dollars for a family every year.

What lie were you told? I was on the call and I can assure you no one lied about anything. No promises were made and it was a clear presentation of where we stand in negotiations. As stated before, ALL the details will be presented to the bargaining unit and that contract MUST be approved by those who will abide by it.
That the company can closed down a location:Textile Workers v. Darlington Mfg. Co., 380 U.S. 263 (1965)
https://laborlaw.foxrothschild.com/...nse-to-union-organizing-shut-down-completely/

There was a time when nearly the whole trucking industry was union. They didn't stand together then either.
The one thing the union did not do was change with the time or change as the industry changed. They stayed the course even after union company after union company closed it doors. The CF closed and I guess they woke up though it was a little late. Then they started going after all those carriers they told to F off.

Thanks for the history lesson. Maybe I should write another "Common Sense" except those of you who don't have any wouldn't get it. If you did, you'd be able to specify your objections to unionization without so many generalizations. What exactly is your opposition to forming a union?
You all talk about history. Well it seems the Teamster have a long history too. When anyone bring that up they are called union busters and other thing. You all point to every problem with the union as being caused by someone else action. When in fact is was the union action that started the whole ball rolling.
You get mad the other barn don't vote. What you don't know is a lot of barns don't have the votes at this time and some of the drivers I talked to are on the fence. It is hard to get more on board when after 4+ years you have nothing to show for it. You want more then show us a success. Sorry but that what lots of drivers are saying it. In every war someone has to lead the charge some have to die but in the end they all celebrate a win or the pain of a loss. There are lots in and out of the military that have not stepped one foot into combat but still get the benefits of being a veteran.

That the company can closed down a location:Textile Workers v. Darlington Mfg. Co., 380 U.S. 263 (1965)
https://laborlaw.foxrothschild.com/...nse-to-union-organizing-shut-down-completely/
Did you actually read the article? In the next to last paragraph, it states the following:
A COMPANY CANNOT CLOSE A FACILITY IN ORDER TO INHIBIT UNIONIZATION AT OTHER OWNED FACILITIES. Can we please put this to rest right here and now. It is ILLEGAL for XPO to close a terminal...PERIOD!!!

You are correct. So what can you do when XPO says the hell with the law and does whatever they want anyway? It's not so far fetched , they ( XPO ) have done things before , knowing that they were wrong.

To date, they have broken the law in small but annoying ways, in order to discourage unionization. They fired a few guys, had supervisors mislead employees about the process and the last action was to refuse to turn up the tractors to 70 MPH at union terminals. All of these illegal actions have resulted or will result in Unfair Labor Practice charges. Those who were fired, were ordered back to work with back pay by the NLRB. Miami and King of Prussia received their raises and back pay. Although they lose nearly all of their cases involving ULP's, they feel it is a small price to pay to discourage further unionization. Should they close a terminal to avoid unionization, that would be an infinitely larger price tag. They would certainly lose in court and would be required to pay back wages with interest to EVERY single employee until such time as each employee found suitable employment elsewhere. I'm not certain of this but I believe they can close a terminal, provided they offer employment to each employee at another terminal. so, while I couldn't guarantee it, I sincerely doubt they would take such action. Frankly, I wish they would, as I could use a little vacation WITH PAY.

You all talk about history. Well it seems the Teamster have a long history too. When anyone bring that up they are called union busters and other thing. You all point to every problem with the union as being caused by someone else action. When in fact is was the union action that started the whole ball rolling.
You get mad the other barn don't vote. What you don't know is a lot of barns don't have the votes at this time and some of the drivers I talked to are on the fence. It is hard to get more on board when after 4+ years you have nothing to show for it. You want more then show us a success. Sorry but that what lots of drivers are saying it. In every war someone has to lead the charge some have to die but in the end they all celebrate a win or the pain of a loss. There are lots in and out of the military that have not stepped one foot into combat but still get the benefits of being a veteran.

It is irrelevant to refer to Teamsters history. Everyone knows they had a shady past, especially if you worked the Jersey piers or Kennedy airport up in New York, as I did. Those days are over. The Teamsters emerged from a long stewardship under the auspices of the Federal Government. All ties to the mob are gone. When any corruption rears its ugly head, the Teamsters take action to correct it immediately. Yes, they started the ball rolling years ago. But, they stopped it.

I am not mad at the barns who have yet to take a vote. I am frustrated that I am unable to get my message across. We all see what the company is doing to our benefits. Bereavement, PTO, Discipline and Health Care costs, yet we feel that we are powerless to do anything about it. What makes you think they will stop what they are doing and come to an epiphany about how poorly they are treating us and do a complete 180? They will continue to take until we take action to stop it and the only course of action I can see is a union contract. If there are alternatives, will someone please let me in on it.

I have said it over 100 times by now. We have something to show for it. You guys just won't see it. Our Health Care costs have remained while yours have tripled. We have a grievance and arbitration procedure in place that effectively mitigates "at will" employment. Any changes in policy must be bargained and put into a contract. There is so much more.

I know what people are saying, but I wonder why they would believe a union buster and not a fellow employee who has been through the process. Yes, we have led the charge, but by now, you guys must realize that with a little bit of help from you, we can win. The veteran comment is not a great analogy. In times of peace, not many vets see combat. However, in times of war, most of them do and therefore have the right and privilege to bask in the glory of victory.

It is foolish and disingenuous to compare CSPF to CSHW. They are two completely different entities. To suggest that the Teamsters could even think about using Health Care funds to bolster the Pension Fund is the height of stupidity. It could never happen. The Team Care fund is monitored by actuaries who would leave skid marks on their way to report any indiscretions to the proper authorities. This is nonsense.

They CAN NOT use funds from the h&w fund to support the pension, Never happen because if they could it would have been done by now. And anybody that was in if they saw combat or not is still a VETERAN , they signed a blank check to protect your freedoms up to and including DEATH, some saw combat some didn't still all the same. A VETERAN.

EXACTLY !!!
They still have to service the area so they would either have to find a barn in the area again or farm the work out to the next closest barn. So now let’s say they move the work to a barn 45 minutes away from the one they close. How are they going to make up that stem time to the delivery area . The system is already stressed as it is ,you think they can service the customers well by doing so? Do think the surrounding terminals are big enough to absorb the added freight?
If they closed a barn to avoid unionization the first thing the union is going to do is file charges. It will go through the long process of the legal system and the company will eventually be forced to reinstate those employees who were displaced.
I don’t think that they want to go through all of that.

They still have to service the area so they would either have to find a barn in the area again or farm the work out to the next closest barn. So now let’s say they move the work to a barn 45 minutes away from the one they close. How are they going to make up that stem time to the delivery area . The system is already stressed as it is ,you think they can service the customers well by doing so? Do think the surrounding terminals are big enough to absorb the added freight?
If they closed a barn to avoid unionization the first thing the union is going to do is file charges. It will go through the long process of the legal system and the company will eventually be forced to reinstate those employees who were displaced.
I don’t think that they want to go through all of that.

Really ? You are gonna bring up service ??? Do you really work here or not ???

Status
Not open for further replies.