XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, NOT Exactly. See post #6593 AND #6598. Remember that their motivation is driven exclusively by PROFIT. There is a negative return on investment in closing a terminal as explained by Sucker in a previous post. Their attempts have been directed towards discouraging unionization, NOT losing money.

Attempts ? It's been over 3 years and you still ain't got a contract. They aren't attempting anything. They are doing it.

No, NOT Exactly. See post #6593 AND #6598. Remember that their motivation is driven exclusively by PROFIT. There is a negative return on investment in closing a terminal as explained by Sucker in a previous post. Their attempts have been directed towards discouraging unionization, NOT losing money.
Hollywoodz , there have been postings on here pointing out how much money XPO has spent on law firms , union busting firms , and just stringing out the process of unionization in general.

Is it safe to say that XPO has probably spent MILLIONS of dollars to drag out , deter , and misinform as far as the union process goes?

Hell , do you think you have turncoats ( drivers working to stop unionization ) acting as though they are for it?

My point is just because there's a law , rule , or policy that is supposed to protect your process of unionization means jack squat to a big company like XPO. Getting caught violating the policies , laws , and rules means nothing to a company like XPO. Never underestimate a large company's ability to get around a contract...read the other union boards...look at YRC.

Profit matters but based on everything I've seen from you and the others that are trying to reach the first contract , XPO will throw away money all day long to crush the effort to unionize.

Everything posted about laws and rules may very well be true but laws , rules , and policies are only effective if they are enforced. You expect the current administration to back up the union effort? Bradley Jacobs is literally neighbors with President Trump in Florida next to Mar-a-Lago.

When you speak up and speak out ( those of you fighting to get your first contact ) don't think your coworkers are against you because they want to see proof you can succeed...a lot of us have been around a while and we can see what an uphill battle you are facing...we deal with this bullsh!t everyday ( and most are not trying to unionize )

Continue to fight for a completed contract. Succeed. Nothing will make your point more than winning. XPO knows this. They will play dirty because all it will take is one.

Hollywoodz , there have been postings on here pointing out how much money XPO has spent on law firms , union busting firms , and just stringing out the process of unionization in general.

Is it safe to say that XPO has probably spent MILLIONS of dollars to drag out , deter , and misinform as far as the union process goes?

Hell , do you think you have turncoats ( drivers working to stop unionization ) acting as though they are for it?

My point is just because there's a law , rule , or policy that is supposed to protect your process of unionization means jack squat to a big company like XPO. Getting caught violating the policies , laws , and rules means nothing to a company like XPO. Never underestimate a large company's ability to get around a contract...read the other union boards...look at YRC.

Profit matters but based on everything I've seen from you and the others that are trying to reach the first contract , XPO will throw away money all day long to crush the effort to unionize.

Everything posted about laws and rules may very well be true but laws , rules , and policies are only effective if they are enforced. You expect the current administration to back up the union effort? Bradley Jacobs is literally neighbors with President Trump in Florida next to Mar-a-Lago.

When you speak up and speak out ( those of you fighting to get your first contact ) don't think your coworkers are against you because they want to see proof you can succeed...a lot of us have been around a while and we can see what an uphill battle you are facing...we deal with this bullsh!t everyday ( and most are not trying to unionize )

Continue to fight for a completed contract. Succeed. Nothing will make your point more than winning. XPO knows this. They will play dirty because all it will take is one.

Every cent of the millions they have spent is designed to SAVE them money in the long run. They believe that every dollar they spend on union busters and misinformation campaigns will save them 10 dollars as they will not have union contracts to deal with. When they fire guys and break other labor laws, they are fully aware of the consequences but continue because they feel the cost of violating the laws is still money well spent in discouraging union activity. Closing a terminal is a different animal. It not only affects the freight flow through that terminal, but it also affects the freight up the line flowing into that terminal. Imagine the accounts lost because they no longer service a particular area. Imagine the payroll and fuel costs trying to service that area from another terminal. Imagine the cost of paying all those employees back pay and having to reopen that terminal when the NLRB rules against them. Your points are well taken but I think you underestimate the long term cost to the company of taking an action like this. If you really think they would do it, then why haven't they done it already. They have had opportunity to do so.

With respect to guys facing this bullshit every day, why not do something about it? Yes it's been 3 1/2 years and we get closer to a contract every time we meet. Frankly, I'm optimistic that we will get it done...eventually. And, I really don't care how long it takes as we are enjoying company policy from 2014 which is far less egregious than the policy you guys are working under. And it hasn't cost us a dime to be in this position. As I have stated before, it's tough when only 6 barns are pulling the weight. Why not come aboard and help us pull the weight. We'll reach our destination in the blink of an eye with some participation from those standing around "waiting to see what happens". How about make it happen and come on board.

Thanks to you and everyone else "waiting to see what happens". You are their greatest asset in this endeavor.

Sorry, I have been on the union side. My past experience is why I deliberately chose to work at a non union company.

I wish you the best. Any time you are doing what you feel is right. Doesn't really matter if you win or lose. But you have to understand that not everyone is going to agree with your opinion of what is right. And many won't be willing to sacrifice as much as you are to get it. Sometimes, you have to be the one to fight your fight, yourself.

Not trying to be philosophical or deep minded with that. Just, more or less, stating the obvious.

Every cent of the millions they have spent is designed to SAVE them money in the long run. They believe that every dollar they spend on union busters and misinformation campaigns will save them 10 dollars as they will not have union contracts to deal with. When they fire guys and break other labor laws, they are fully aware of the consequences but continue because they feel the cost of violating the laws is still money well spent in discouraging union activity. Closing a terminal is a different animal. It not only affects the freight flow through that terminal, but it also affects the freight up the line flowing into that terminal. Imagine the accounts lost because they no longer service a particular area. Imagine the payroll and fuel costs trying to service that area from another terminal. Imagine the cost of paying all those employees back pay and having to reopen that terminal when the NLRB rules against them. Your points are well taken but I think you underestimate the long term cost to the company of taking an action like this. If you really think they would do it, then why haven't they done it already. They have had opportunity to do so.

With respect to guys facing this :horseshit: every day, why not do something about it? Yes it's been 3 1/2 years and we get closer to a contract every time we meet. Frankly, I'm optimistic that we will get it done...eventually. And, I really don't care how long it takes as we are enjoying company policy from 2014 which is far less egregious than the policy you guys are working under. And it hasn't cost us a dime to be in this position. As I have stated before, it's tough when only 6 barns are pulling the weight. Why not come aboard and help us pull the weight. We'll reach our destination in the blink of an eye with some participation from those standing around "waiting to see what happens". How about make it happen and come on board.
Hollywoodz , have you ever heard of CF? If so , maybe you have heard why some people believe that company went out of business. Poke around and you will see that many believe that CF was sabotaged by their parent company to put them out of business because they were union. I have no idea if this is true.

With CF you have a WHOLE company. Gone. Out of business. Union. And , for the sake of this conversation , let's just say the theory is true that Consolidated Freightways was sabotaged by their parent company.

If this can happen to an entire company the size of CF , wouldn't logic dictate that XPO can break all the rules ( and get away with it ) as far as a half a dozen terminals?

Not trying to advocate for such a thing , however there is merit to fighting your fight and winning your fight. Nothing leads to success like success. Keep your local clean an ethical and get a decent contract. That contract will be like Excalibur. You won't have to convince anyone of anything anymore - just point to the contract. Excalibur.

I worked at CCX during the time CF operated. CF was the nation wide ltl carrier and the Con-way company’s CCX, CSE and CWX were regional carriers period . When CF went under is when the companies were linked to cover the entire country. Now was that the long term plan to sink the union entity ,who knows for sure but that was always the speculation.

I can tell you one thing for sure is once they felt their union woes were in the past that is when the taking began on the Con-way side, pension, monthly healthcare premiums , sick days, safety bonuses and on and on. It was as if they didn’t have to pay us a premium pay to keep the union out because those fears were fading for them. If you didn’t work here at the time it may be a little harder to grasp.

Ok what family plans do they offer than at your barn. Some specific numbers would be much appreciated.

I'm not going to do that. We have regional rates now and I'm not giving anyone any hints.

There was a thread where some rates were posted during enrollment, maybe you could find that.

You wanted a specific number from a plan in a union job and I gave out ours no problem.

Yeah, I don't care about your cost. The whole point was that no one knows what it will cost at a union XPO barn until the contract is out, so any comments about how great it is aren't worth much.

I worked at CCX during the time CF operated. CF was the nation wide ltl carrier and the Con-way company’s CCX, CSE and CWX were regional carriers period . When CF went under is when the companies were linked to cover the entire country. Now was that the long term plan to sink the union entity ,who knows for sure but that was always the speculation.

I can tell you one thing for sure is once they felt their union woes were in the past that is when the taking began on the Con-way side, pension, monthly healthcare premiums , sick days, safety bonuses and on and on. It was as if they didn’t have to pay us a premium pay to keep the union out because those fears were fading for them. If you didn’t work here at the time it may be a little harder to grasp.
You also have to remember that the market was flooded with drivers NEEDING a job union or non to pay bills and put food on the table. When CF closed drivers became a dime a dozen and mangers knew it. I worked at AF during that time I saw it first hand. TM had a stack of apps on his desk 5 inches high. He was sitting back picking and choosing. That was not the time to go in and bitch to the TM he would say so what I got guys here that will take your job in a heart beat
Man how it has changed

Last edited:
Sure, it's positive now, but look at the last slide. Full time equivalents are flat and retirees are climbing. Given the average age of a Teamster, why would that trend not continue?

I have read several articles that indicate union membership is on the rise again. A slow rise to be fair, but 81,000 new union members in Texas, of all places is a reason to be optimistic.

Sure, maybe they are in your clique. But that doesn't make them incorrect anywhere else.

I was under the impression that most ULPs are withdrawn without any action. How many have they lost vs how many were filed? What are the corresponding numbers for the union?

I haven't the time to research that, but I can tell you that no ULP is withdrawn without concession from the company. In other words, the company willingly remedies the situation that called for the ULP in the first place. The company is in a frenzy to avoid any future ULP's, as the courts have become familiar with their tactics and have decided in favor of the Teamsters in the majority of cases.

When any corruption rears its ugly head, the Teamsters take action to correct it immediately. Yes, they started the ball rolling years ago. But, they stopped it.

Good thing they got rid of Jimmy Hof... oh, right. Well, at least there hasn't been any corruption.. wait, what? The International VP was banned for two years for corruption- last year? And why did the TDU form? Corruption. The consent decree was a joke, and the lifting of it means nothing. The history is absolutely relevant. It's a dirty organization that doesn't deserve your money.

Hollywoodz , have you ever heard of CF? If so , maybe you have heard why some people believe that company went out of business. Poke around and you will see that many believe that CF was sabotaged by their parent company to put them out of business because they were union. I have no idea if this is true.

With CF you have a WHOLE company. Gone. Out of business. Union. And , for the sake of this conversation , let's just say the theory is true that Consolidated Freightways was sabotaged by their parent company.

If this can happen to an entire company the size of CF , wouldn't logic dictate that XPO can break all the rules ( and get away with it ) as far as a half a dozen terminals?

Not trying to advocate for such a thing , however there is merit to fighting your fight and winning your fight. Nothing leads to success like success. Keep your local clean an ethical and get a decent contract. That contract will be like Excalibur. You won't have to convince anyone of anything anymore - just point to the contract. Excalibur.

I've read several articles on CF and most point to acquisitions of companies heavily in debt that caused their ultimate demise. They lost focus on serving the LTL industry and tried to expand into other services, like brokerage and air freight. Ultimately, as with YRC, poor management plays a big part when companies fail. Hopefully, XPO wakes up to this possibility, or we are doomed, with or without a union.

Good thing they got rid of Jimmy Hof... oh, right. Well, at least there hasn't been any corruption.. wait, what? The International VP was banned for two years for corruption- last year? And why did the TDU form? Corruption. The consent decree was a joke, and the lifting of it means nothing. The history is absolutely relevant. It's a dirty organization that doesn't deserve your money.

Years ago, nobody was banned for corruption. If the International VP was banned last year, it shows that when corruption is found, action is taken. By the way, I challenge you to cite any entity where some form of corruption doesn't exist, including our own federal government. Evil exists and bad things happen all the time. The crime is exacerbated when people look the other way. Any organization that is willing to take steps to curb corruption within it's ranks, is doing all they can to right the ship.

I am not mad at the barns who have yet to take a vote. I am frustrated that I am unable to get my message across.

I think you're confusing "getting your message across" with "getting people to agree with you". Not the same.

I think you're doing a fine job of getting your message across. You're definitely passionate, articulate, and pretty well informed. I can't say the same for other would-be organizers. But that doesn't change the fact that we're at opposite ends of the discussion.

I have said it over 100 times by now. We have something to show for it. You guys just won't see it.

You're betting on a net loss over the life of your contract. (Whenever that comes.) Otherwise we don't need you, right? XPO has started to show signs that they're making changes and learning from mistakes. The more they improve, the less power you have because your whole message is pessimistic savior nonsense. You had your shot when XPO was really screwing up, and you still couldn't deliver. Yeah, you've got the old insurance rates. But I don't have to work with Teamsters.

We have a grievance and arbitration procedure in place that effectively mitigates "at will" employment.

Which you have admitted isn't even a threat, since you don't know anyone that has been fired for "no reason" simply because they were "at-will" employees. We all know they won't fire you without reams of paper, and maybe not even then.

Status
Not open for further replies.