XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wage stagnation is not limited to this industry. It’s actually been flat for about everyone except Wall Street and your corporate types.

I agree wage stagnation has occurred. You point to women joining the work force. I don't see it that way at all. It's pure greed at the top. Plenty to go around. It's just not making it's way down to the little guys.

I agree wage stagnation has occurred. You point to women joining the work force. I don't see it that way at all. It's pure greed at the top. Plenty to go around. It's just not making it's way down to the little guys.
Agreed
That’s not true. The ruling was made because the teamsters produced a Q and A flier from Conway after the recession that stated they wanted to get back to yearly raises.Your case was that it was a general rule for them to give annual raises so since it was status quo it shouldn’t be halted after your vote. Using the same logic XPO should have argued that it was status quo for them to change insurance premiums and discipline policy every year and y’all should have been exactly where the rest of us are. So in essence I agree every employee should be treated the same. You should be held to the same standard I am. For the record I do not begrudge you guys getting your back pay I just think y’all made a hypocrite’s argument.
Where you directly involved in the precedings leading to the settlement ? Just curious how you got your info ?

Agreed

Where you directly involved in the precedings leading to the settlement ? Just curious how you got your info ?
I was not. Someone posted it who was directly involved I can’t remember if I saw it on one of the teamsters sites or on here but they had the language highlighted. Why? am I wrong? You always say get all the info you can.

Someone invents a product that benefits millions of people. Millions of people buy his product and he is fully entitled to the economic rewards he reaps. This person couldn't possibly market, manufacture and ship his product all by himself, so he hires people to do that for him. Aren't those people entitled also to the fruits of their labor?
The problem I have with this statement is at the end of the day what responsible does the employee have to the company? Other than punching and doing their job correctly. Please tell us all how many weeks you did not get a paycheck, took a gamble on a product or service, and how many people did you hire. Have you ever had to make payroll at the end of the week?

Jeff Bezos salary in 2017 was around $82,000, but because he owns 80 million shares of Amazon stock you want to say he's a greedy CEO. What if his company tanked. Just look what happened to Mark Zuckerburg back in July he lost $15B yes that billion in one day.

You as an employee are entitled to the fruit of YOUR labor which is you paycheck and if you think you are not getting paid enough well you are free to leave and look for better employment else where

Wage stagnation is not limited to this industry. It’s actually been flat for about everyone except Wall Street and your corporate types.
Sorry to say if you have any type of retirement account you are part of wall street. When companies and the stock market does good your portfolio look a lot better

The problem I have with this statement is at the end of the day what responsible does the employee have to the company? Other than punching and doing their job correctly. Please tell us all how many weeks you did not get a paycheck, took a gamble on a product or service, and how many people did you hire. Have you ever had to make payroll at the end of the week?

Jeff Bezos salary in 2017 was around $82,000, but because he owns 80 million shares of Amazon stock you want to say he's a greedy CEO. What if his company tanked. Just look what happened to Mark Zuckerburg back in July he lost $15B yes that billion in one day.

You as an employee are entitled to the fruit of YOUR labor which is you paycheck and if you think you are not getting paid enough well you are free to leave and look for better employment else where

I did say that he is fully entitled to the economic rewards he reaps, so in part, I somewhat agree with your statement. Let's look at it another way. Most employees work hard every day, which in turn improves the financial position of a company. As the company's position improves, upper management takes a portion of that money in increased compensation packages. Shareholders also take their cut. All fine by me as both have invested either their time and efforts or their money in support of the company. How much they receive is defined by their contracts with the company and their rewards are generally tied to the company's financial performance. If the company does well, so do they. Bonuses are often included in that contract. So, their benefits are also defined by that contract.

Salaried or hourly workers are defined only by whatever terms the company deems proper. There are no guarantees and despite the company's financial prosperity, which is a direct result of the efforts of the people who do the work, there are no guarantees that those workers will be rewarded for their efforts. Annual raises usually reflect increases in the cost of living, so I would argue that our annual raise is simply a feel good measure to keep us distracted. XPO's financials have been off the charts since the takeover and we are still receiving the same compensation as we were before the takeover. The 2.00 raise in 2015 was simply a thinly disguised effort to deter organization.

Your comment that we are free to leave and seek better employment sounds fine on paper, except, where do we go when every company seems to be offering similar compensation for the work we do. It seems that only union companies have first rate health care and defined wage increases. YRC may be one exception and that's because the company was run into the ground by poor management and their financial statements dictated the givebacks were necessary.

I don't know about you, but I don't expect these companies to become benevolent any time soon. The only way they will put people ahead of profit is if we force them to do so. I think you may agree that none of these companies are going broke and what we're asking for won't kill them either.

I did say that he is fully entitled to the economic rewards he reaps, so in part, I somewhat agree with your statement. Let's look at it another way. Most employees work hard every day, which in turn improves the financial position of a company. As the company's position improves, upper management takes a portion of that money in increased compensation packages. Shareholders also take their cut. All fine by me as both have invested either their time and efforts or their money in support of the company. How much they receive is defined by their contracts with the company and their rewards are generally tied to the company's financial performance. If the company does well, so do they. Bonuses are often included in that contract. So, their benefits are also defined by that contract.

Salaried or hourly workers are defined only by whatever terms the company deems proper. There are no guarantees and despite the company's financial prosperity, which is a direct result of the efforts of the people who do the work, there are no guarantees that those workers will be rewarded for their efforts. Annual raises usually reflect increases in the cost of living, so I would argue that our annual raise is simply a feel good measure to keep us distracted. XPO's financials have been off the charts since the takeover and we are still receiving the same compensation as we were before the takeover. The 2.00 raise in 2015 was simply a thinly disguised effort to deter organization.

Your comment that we are free to leave and seek better employment sounds fine on paper, except, where do we go when every company seems to be offering similar compensation for the work we do. It seems that only union companies have first rate health care and defined wage increases. YRC may be one exception and that's because the company was run into the ground by poor management and their financial statements dictated the givebacks were necessary.

I don't know about you, but I don't expect these companies to become benevolent any time soon. The only way they will put people ahead of profit is if we force them to do so. I think you may agree that none of these companies are going broke and what we're asking for won't kill them either.
You have the right to go elsewhere is true but tired. You founded the company and put your neck on the line. True but tired.

At some point , when is it okay to look around and say "NO , I don't want to leave my job. YES , I would like to be paid more and have better benefits. NO , I don't want to tell the management how to run the company." Tired argument.

Is it ever okay to say that some things need improvement where you work without a bunch of company cheerleaders running out and kissing butt before you can get a word in edgewise?

If you've worked somewhere for decades , isn't it safe to say you have vested interest in that place? That you may have some idea of what works and what doesn't?

A lot of those that drive do it because it has a high pay to low bullsh!t ratio. Even though a LOT of drivers COULD EASILY go into management and figure out payroll or who to hire or any of the other mind numbing crap , THEY DON'T WANT TO.

Because someone chooses a particular profession should not disqualify them from being able to comment or speak out about what they see , ESPECIALLY if they deal with the business side of things (LTL)everyday.

Well I was kinda hoping that you would answer the questions I ask, but in those 4 paragraphs you didn't answer one.

"Your comment that we are free to leave and seek better employment sounds fine on paper, except, where do we go when every company seems to be offering similar compensation for the work we do"
Well why don't you go work for UPS you are always talking highly of them and from what everyone says the compensation is way higher then ours.

Well I was kinda hoping that you would answer the questions I ask, but in those 4 paragraphs you didn't answer one.

"Your comment that we are free to leave and seek better employment sounds fine on paper, except, where do we go when every company seems to be offering similar compensation for the work we do"
Well why don't you go work for UPS you are always talking highly of them and from what everyone says the compensation is way higher then ours.
I will take a stab at your first question. As Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at XPO LOGISTICS INC, Bradley S. Jacobs made $1,384,021 in total compensation. Of this total $625,000 was received as a salary, $750,000 was received as a bonus, $0 was received in stock options, $0 was awarded as stock and $9,021 came from other types of compensation. I think at this point making payroll is probably not a major problem.

Sorry, Fly, I thought these were rhetorical questions. I owned a small trucking company back in New York for 39 years. I went without a paycheck many times in that 1st year. Honestly, it wasn't a huge gamble as I had many good connections but it was a struggle. I was house truck for Emery Freight LTL Ocean freight in Newark New Jersey for most of that time. I got the account by moving their freight free for a month. I hired several over the years but ultimately wound up all by myself. There were too many issues with unreliable employees. And finally, I did have to make payroll and, after that 1st year, had no trouble doing so.

Not only is their compensation higher than ours, but I believe that ABF is top shelf as related to compensation. Their package amounts to 43.78 per hour. Of course. this doesn't include UPS package division which is considerably higher. Two guys who worked with us went to USPS and although I can't remember particulars, their compensation package is off the charts , as well.

I don't work at any of these places because I don't think they would hire a 66 year old. As I have stated in the past. I'm not doing this for me. I'm doing this for you and all the drivers out there who deserve better and I've got 1 year to get it done.

If you want to help the little man I’m all for it but if it’s more about resenting the rich I’m not down with that at all. If we fall prey to acting out of resentment it will not be long until we are in Solzhenitsyn’s Gulag Archipelago

As far as wage stagnation, I think that has a whole lot to do with the introduction in mass of women to the workforce.(this may come across misogynistic but I don’t mean it that way). If you view labor as a commodity what happens when you double the abundance of a commodity? The value goes down. From the 50’s to the 80’s we doubled the size of the workforce by integrating women, again not a bad thing but a supply and demand hypothesis would hold true on this. This is kind of off topic but really it’s not. I will disclaim this by saying I am not an economist so I could be completely wrong. I could cite economists who argue both sides of this issue but it just seems logical to me.
I don't envy the rich. I don't pity the poor.

And I can assure you we would be losing everything if not for the [presence] of the Teamsters.

You can't make that assertion when their presence just happens to coincide with an industry-wide driver shortage and booming economy. I know you think the Teamsters are the reason, but it's at least possible that it's not- or even that it's a combination of multiple factors. The fact that you've got a vested interest and a deadline to sell us on those deadbeats makes your assertion far more dubious from an objective point of view.

Most of you guys dont realize what could be happening without union presence OR, more importantly what WILL happen if the Teamsters go away. Pray that doesn't happen.

I pray that it does. Don't let the door hit you, as the saying goes.

They finally decide to give a little to stave off the union movement and ease the driver shortage and your easily impressed.

I don't think he was necessarily saying he was impressed, just pointing out that the guaranteed losses that you and Hollywoodz have been preaching don't seem to be materializing.

Your welcome by the way.
You be losing more if it weren’t for the efforts of some . Nuff said.

You should be ashamed of yourself for that. I know it's hard to see out of that bubble you're in, but don't get too caught up in your own press. The only ones that are winning are the lawyers. There are quite a few of your coworkers that don't know or care what you're doing. Remember that.

The amount of terminals who have had a successful union drive is irrelevant.

It's absolutely relevant. They have lost their campaigns by more than a 2 to 1 ratio and those campaigns have slowed to a trickle, despite you guys lawyering your way into back pay and sitting at the negotiating table. Despite the best efforts of you and Sucker to sell it here. Despite constant propaganda generated by the Teamsters about what an evil corporation XPO is. Despite the first buyout most of us have ever dealt with and all the negativity and uncertainty that came with that. You still don't even need all your fingers to count the Teamster barns- that means something.

Status
Not open for further replies.