XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all want more, but do you think it may be fair to say that the union did the best it could under the circumstances. I don't really know the full circumstances, so I would value your opinion on this.

It's not been at all lost on the silent majority that read these boards. You guys say that they can't pull the gates and close shop. That there are all these things that the company just cannot do. Well here is your golden goose example. The high and mighty UPS. They emptied the system. And the union told it's members to open unemployment claims.

How do you convince people that a union is the way to go with this happening right in front of us ?

And if you think that the union did it's best, and this is the result, how does that look to guys you are trying to convince into joining a union ?

And they are probably going to vote yes. Just a guess. So how does that look to guys you are trying to convince to go union ? YRC told it's drivers. Vote as we tell you or else. UPS told it's drivers to vote as we tell you or else. What's the point ? What's the difference ?

Don't come back with some 7th grade meet me at the bike rack bull ::shit::. Think about it and give an intelligent response. The audience is far greater than the participants. What do you say to someone that says look at them and look at us, it's all the same.

It's not been at all lost on the silent majority that read these boards. You guys say that they can't pull the gates and close shop. That there are all these things that the company just cannot do. Well here is your golden goose example. The high and mighty UPS. They emptied the system. And the union told it's members to open unemployment claims.

They can not pull up the gates and close shop...TO AVOID UNION REPRESENTATION. If a company is failing and losing money, they can go out of business. Corporations have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to turn a profit. If a corporation is earning a profit, they WILL NOT shut the doors to spite the Teamsters. As far as I know, it's never happened. Of course, if you know of an instance where a PROFITABLE company shut it's doors, please let me know.

Don't come back with some 7th grade meet me at the bike rack bull ::::shit::::. Think about it and give an intelligent response. The audience is far greater than the participants. What do you say to someone that says look at them and look at us, it's all the same.

When did I ever act like a 7th grader challenging you to meet me at the bike rack. Foolish comment. Look at their compensation packages and look at ours...IT'S NOT THE SAME. Union companies employees are far better compensated than non-union employees. It's just a fact. If all LTL companies in Florida were union, then you would truly see the difference.

And the union told it's members to open unemployment claims.

ONE local advised their members to open unemployment claims and you're projecting that on the entire system. In any event, it's a good idea to expect the best and prepare for the worst. A strike may be inevitable as it is the best tool in the union toolbox to get the company's attention. Certainly not what anyone wants, but sometimes unavoidable.

I don't know anything about the contract or what the issues are and I don't have the time to search the UPS boards to find out. I will say that it's entirely up to the bargaining unit as to whether or not they accept the contract or strike. The company's last. best and final offer is either accepted or, if not, the employees strike. I think it's a bluff on the part of the company. They are counting on guys like you to instill fear in the heart of the drivers. And not having a regular paycheck is frightening. If it were my choice, I would vote no and call their bluff. Of course, you would say that's an easy decision for me as I will not be negatively affected by this...and you would be right.

All I can say is we struck in Miami for ONE day and got our raises and back pay by the end of the week. So, forgive me if I feel differently from you, but I have personally experienced what the Teamsters can do for me. Were we frightened? Certainly we were. But the end result proved to be worth the stress with which we had to experience.

Ultimately, if you feel the need to meet me at the bike rack, I'll be waiting for you...with my security detail! :duel:

These responses are pathetic. You should be ashamed. I implored you repeatedly in my post to speak to the masses and you still make it a personal battle. And didn't actually address anything, honestly. These are real issues. If you can't confront them. You will not convince anyone. You should ask upnorth to delete all three of these and go put your big boy pants on and try again.

They can not pull up the gates and close shop...TO AVOID UNION REPRESENTATION. If a company is failing and losing money, they can go out of business. Corporations have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to turn a profit. If a corporation is earning a profit, they WILL NOT shut the doors to spite the Teamsters. As far as I know, it's never happened. Of course, if you know of an instance where a PROFITABLE company shut it's doors, please let me know.

UPS gave a half hearted attempt at negotiations. Threw out a last a final offer. And then stopped picking up freight and completely emptied the system. Pretty sure they are making a profit. Pretty sure they are making a considerable profit. Pretty sure they making an absurd profit. And I am just talking about UPSF. That business unit can't not be anything other than obscenely profitable.

When did I ever act like a 7th grader challenging you to meet me at the bike rack. Foolish comment. Look at their compensation packages and look at ours...IT'S NOT THE SAME. Union companies employees are far better compensated than non-union employees. It's just a fact. If all LTL companies in Florida were union, then you would truly see the difference.

You are acting like a 7th grader right now. It happens plenty. It's okay. Just own it. You'll be fine.

What's the difference having a union to get better if all you are going to get is what they give you ? We make more than some LTLs without a union to represent us. How did we get so far better compensated ? What's the difference ?

How am I instilling fear in anyone to ask for an explanation of things that are actually happening ?
Would you want any of the benefits that are offered in the LBFO? Are XPO'S pay and benefits better than what's on the table at UPSF? Do you believe XPO would offer any of the benefits that UPSF Teamsters have a vote on that currently aren't offered at XPO?

Medicare for all does NOT outlaw other health insurance. If you are wealthy, you can certainly purchase a health care plan from a private insurer and pay the cost out of pocket. You can do that even if you're not wealthy. If Medicare for all was ever approved, we wouldn't need another health care plan, we'd already have one. In fact, Medicare for all would save XPO about 500 million dollars a year and then we could bargain for more money in our paychecks.
Here I'll repost the link because you did even read it: https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/413179-medicare-for-all-is-as-scary-as-it-gets
Here are some highlights:
Third, participating providers must be public or nonprofit institutions. Private physicians, private clinics and other private health-care providers can practice medicine only if they convert to nonprofit status. (Presumably the government will compensate them for their financial losses).

Fifth, private health insurance is unlawful if it “duplicates the benefits under this act.” Insofar as HR 676 covers all conceivable medical procedures, HR 676 in practice outlaws private health insurance. But do not worry, private insurers can sell insurance for “services and items that are not medically necessary.”

Sound to me your Teamcare would be outlawed

Well due to govt regs under the Obozo admin and the unions alot of companies did close up shops that were making profits and move them over sea

Last edited:

How do you convince people that a union is the way to go with this happening right in front of us ?

And if you think that the union did it's best, and this is the result, how does that look to guys you are trying to convince into joining a union ?

And they are probably going to vote yes. Just a guess. So how does that look to guys you are trying to convince to go union ? YRC told it's drivers. Vote as we tell you or else. UPS told it's drivers to vote as we tell you or else. What's the point ? What's the difference ?

Don't come back with some 7th grade meet me at the bike rack bull :::shit:::. Think about it and give an intelligent response. The audience is far greater than the participants. What do you say to someone that says look at them and look at us, it's all the same.

There's one thing that sticks out to me ... anti-union people can't say pro-union people are trying to run companies. In the examples you point to , the companies overwhelmingly rolled over the union representation.

In the UPS case the process is ongoing , but , can a reasonable person say the union has handled this well , and put it's membership in a strong position to bargain for what they want?

Here I'll repost the link because you did even read it: https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/413179-medicare-for-all-is-as-scary-as-it-gets
Here are some highlights:
Third, participating providers must be public or nonprofit institutions. Private physicians, private clinics and other private health-care providers can practice medicine only if they convert to nonprofit status. (Presumably the government will compensate them for their financial losses).

Fifth, private health insurance is unlawful if it “duplicates the benefits under this act.” Insofar as HR 676 covers all conceivable medical procedures, HR 676 in practice outlaws private health insurance. But do not worry, private insurers can sell insurance for “services and items that are not medically necessary.”

Sound to me your Teamcare would be outlawed

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr676/summary

Your highlights are accurate, however, the author of the article has made some assumptions that are outside the realm of possibility. No one waits a year for emergency surgery or treatment. Non-profit does not mean that doctors and hospitals offer their services for free. What it does mean is that I won't have to pay 75.00 for an aspirin if I'm in the hospital. It also means I won't have to pay 1100.00 for 15 minutes of an anesthesiologists time, while he witnesses my colonoscopy. Non profit simply means that everyone gets paid for the services they provide...but, there's nothing left over.

Health care SHOULD be non profit, as it is in almost every other developed country in the world. And it works, evidenced by the fact that I have yet to hear of a country voting for a ballot initiative to eliminate universal single payer health care aka Medicare for all. I am on Medicare and I am extremely happy with the results.

Finally, I want you to think for a minute. If this country passes a Medicare for all program, why would I need Teamcare? I couldn't care less if it were legal or not.

These responses are pathetic. You should be ashamed. I implored you repeatedly in my post to speak to the masses and you still make it a personal battle. And didn't actually address anything, honestly. These are real issues. If you can't confront them. You will not convince anyone. You should ask upnorth to delete all three of these and go put your big boy pants on and try again.

Good luck trying to drag me down into the hole that you"re in. I find hurling insults especially demeaning to the one doing the hurling. That would be you. I refuse to speak to anyone in that manner, even those who deserve it. If I have failed, in your opinion, to address something honestly, let's try again. What issue is it which is causing difficulty for you? I will do my best to reply as honestly as humanly possible. I have put on my big boy pants and I'm ready. Let's try to be more specific, though. If you speak in generalities, I can only reply in kind.

UPS gave a half hearted attempt at negotiations. Threw out a last a final offer. And then stopped picking up freight and completely emptied the system. Pretty sure they are making a profit. Pretty sure they are making a considerable profit. Pretty sure they making an absurd profit. And I am just talking about UPSF. That business unit can't not be anything other than obscenely profitable.

And if they are obscenely profitable, a statement with which I agree, they will not close their doors. Doing so would prompt a multitude of lawsuits from shareholders, alleging abandonment of their fiduciary responsibility.

Well due to govt regs under the Obozo admin and the unions alot of companies did close up shops that were making profits and move them over sea

Wrong again! Although many companies moved their operations overseas, it had absolutely nothing to do with PRESIDENT Obama or government regulations. It has everything to do with CHEAP labor and maximizing profits. Corporations just got a massive tax cut and Trump has removed many regulations. I can count the jobs that have come back on the fingers of a one armed midget.

You are acting like a 7th grader right now. It happens plenty. It's okay. Just own it. You'll be fine.

What's the difference having a union to get better if all you are going to get is what they give you ? We make more than some LTLs without a union to represent us. How did we get so far better compensated ? What's the difference ?

We are not far better compensated. When you compare the complete compensation package, we are somewhere in the middle to bottom of the pack. Union companies are far better compensated than non union. It's a fact. Even poor old YRC is similar to our compensation package thanks to their health care package. And, even though their pension is in trouble, at least they'll get something. What are you getting? ZIP!

In addition, all union employees enjoy Weingarten rights. You know, when the TM, FOM and 2 supervisors sit across from you in a closed office and grill you until you make a mistake that becomes part of your permanent record. A mistake they can use to fire you down the road. Unless of course you're in a "right to work" state and then they can fire you for wearing different colored socks. In a union shop, your steward in entitled to attend those meetings with you for advice and as a witness to the proceedings. It's no longer your word against theirs. Now, there's a record of the meeting.

Can't do those things with union employees. There is a clear and distinct difference and your failure to see that is cognitive dissonance at it finest. Congratulations on your promotion to 1st grade. You make a 7th grader look like Einstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.