XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because drivers aren't paying attention.
A lot of drivers at my barn did pay attention on a conference call last year. The talk the next day was that the Teamster have no plan for XPO they just want you to vote yes. What really pissed most of then off was being talked down to at the end of the call. Being talked to like a little kid and in a round about way being called an idiot or stupid for not joining the union. So yes we were listen and paying attention and in one call most said the hell with it.

I thought otherwise before, but now I am convinced that this is where they are going.
Part time dock workers, Sub service line and last mile like P&D drivers all equal greater short term profits
Well I have been in 2 Teamster union in my career. Oh trust me I paid attention. I heard the lies the union officials told me. Were here to help you, find you work. I lost both of those job and both time I was told the same thing. Sorry there nothing we can do. I have left many jobs for many reasons like I moved, or better hours, pay, and home time. The Teamster jobs were the only ones were I was let go from and by no fault of my own. I left a very good paying job and went to a union driving job, because I was young and dumb, looking at it now. You say the company doesn't care about us well in my experience that how the union treated me. Looking at the Team Care plan one has to look at is what it cost to get it and I not talking money. I would have to join this org. that did nothing but take my money and screw me in the past.
The time this place should have joined the union was back in the 90's. Back when Jerry D was playing you all like fools. He made some big promises, work you to death, threatening to fire you if you didn't run. He knew what he had to say and do to keep the union out and you fool fell for it hook, line and sinker. So tell me hows the pension he promised working out. Now you are all bitching about OT well hell that's the ways it's been since CWX was started. For some reason you had no problem for year with it but now it's XPO it's a big problem.
BTW the only thing I regret was leaving that good paying driving job, because it still there, for a teamster job that not there at all.
Can you tell us the detailed circumstances of your losing your job at a Union Copany ? Have you ever had any seniority at any of your driving Jobs and if so How Long ? I will understand if you don’t want to answer the questions and there to personal. I’m just trying to get insight into where your coming from.

Last edited:
A lot of drivers at my barn did pay attention on a conference call last year. The talk the next day was that the Teamster have no plan for XPO they just want you to vote yes. What really pissed most of then off was being talked down to at the end of the call. Being talked to like a little kid and in a round about way being called an idiot or stupid for not joining the union. So yes we were listen and paying attention and in one call most said the hell with it.
I have listened to all those calls and have never heard that kind of talk. Were you on the call personally ?

Complete nonsense. I was on every one of those calls and NEVER did anyone talk down to anyone else. No one EVER called anyone stupid or an idiot for any reason. And the Teamsters outlined their plan, briefly but they did address every advantage to being a Teamster. You lost two jobs? Maybe you weren't a very good employee. Teamcare ALONE pays your dues and leaves some over for a nice IRA contribution. You are opposed to the union? Fine, I can respect your choice...UNTIL you begin lying about what happens on these calls and attempting to dissuade others from making their own choice.

They are on a path to destroying everything you have as an employee of this company and you're just fine with it all. You are one person I won't feel sorry for.

I have listened to all those calls and have never heard that kind of talk. Were you on the call personally ?
Complete nonsense. I was on every one of those calls and NEVER did anyone talk down to anyone else. No one EVER called anyone stupid or an idiot for any reason. And the Teamsters outlined their plan, briefly but they did address every advantage to being a Teamster. You lost two jobs? Maybe you weren't a very good employee. Teamcare ALONE pays your dues and leaves some over for a nice IRA contribution. You are opposed to the union? Fine, I can respect your choice...UNTIL you begin lying about what happens on these calls and attempting to dissuade others from making their own choice.

They are on a path to destroying everything you have as an employee of this company and you're just fine with it all. You are one person I won't feel sorry for.
Well then I guess you weren't listening. I was on the call. We had one of our drivers ask what were there long terms plans and the only answer that was given was we need more barns to vote yes and that was it. At the end of the call the one union person, I don't remember who it was, talked down to all of us on the call. I did not say we were called us idiots or stupid everyone I talked to about the call at the end they felt they were talked down to like they were an idiot or stupid. I talked to many at my barn about the call and asked what they thought of it. The were responses we all the same even for the ones that were hard pressed to get the union in. Ever since that call about a year ago, I think, the union talk at my barn died.

Well then I guess you weren't listening. I was on the call. We had one of our drivers ask what were there long terms plans and the only answer that was given was we need more barns to vote yes and that was it. At the end of the call the one union person, I don't remember who it was, talked down to all of us on the call. I did not say we were called us idiots or stupid everyone I talked to about the call at the end they felt they were talked down to like they were an idiot or stupid. I talked to many at my barn about the call and asked what they thought of it. The were responses we all the same even for the ones that were hard pressed to get the union in. Ever since that call about a year ago, I think, the union talk at my barn died.
I listen pretty intently to those calls and would be quick to criticize anyone who I thought was being that way.
Maybe we have a different interpretation of what was said. You should have spoke up and said what you felt . The calls are open to say what you feel . I never heard anyone talked down too.
What were you trying to get answered. The goal is to organize as many terminals as possible. Strength is in the numbers. The long term plan is with the employee’s to decide. Organize in a large number and have say at the table. It’s pretty straight forward.

Part time dock workers, Sub service line and last mile like P&D drivers all equal greater short term profits

Can you tell us the detailed circumstances of your losing your job at a Union Copany ? Have you ever had any seniority at any of your driving Jobs and if so How Long ? I will understand if you don’t want to answer the questions and there to personal. I’m just trying to get insight into where your coming from.
one closed the other had a massive layoff to stay competitive and at both I had atleast 30 guys below me on the list. One was for 5yrs and the other was just over 2yrs. I work here for a reason that because it fits what I looking for right now. I have willfully left jobs for many reason like work load, home time, pay, and one because it didn't like the boss. Now I know what you will say the reason I lost the 2 union jobs was because of management and I know that's the standard Teamster response.
I know a few drivers that will not work at places like our that have seniority list. They believe as I do that their job performance says more about a person the when they were hired.

I listen pretty intently to those calls and would be quick to criticize anyone who I thought was being that way.
Maybe we have a different interpretation of what was said. You should have spoke up and said what you felt . The calls are open to say what you feel . I never heard anyone talked down too.
What were you trying to get answered. The goal is to organize as many terminals as possible. Strength is in the numbers. The long term plan is with the employee’s to decide. Organize in a large number and have say at the table. It’s pretty straight forward.
Well I couldn't speak up because when the guy at the end of the call was talking I tried to key into the system to respond but was not allowed to. I guess they locked us out by then. I just saying what I and others have heard. I just saying any and all union talk at my barn died with one phone call.

Well I couldn't speak up because when the guy at the end of the call was talking I tried to key into the system to respond but was not allowed to. I guess they locked us out by then. I just saying what I and others have heard. I just saying any and all union talk at my barn died with one phone call.
Got ya. If you want to get on the next call let me know. I’m not trying to persuade you into anything. I respect your stance. I just feel that you deserve your questions answered and I would hope you ask tough questions.

I feel bad you came away with that impression and not getting a chance to voice your concerns.

Because the company gives everybody at the terminal over a dollar an hour raise 2 days before the election like they did in xrn. Most guys only care about how much money they make
It is horrible that drivers like making more money and not having to pay damn union dues to boot. I am shocked, shocked I tell you that drivers like making more money. Think on this, at 70 mph earning 66.4 cpm (with new raise) a driver is making $46.48 per hour behind the wheel. Do I need the union to be happy? How about... NO. Another raise will have me doing backflips though.

It is horrible that drivers like making more money and not having to pay damn union dues to boot. I am shocked, shocked I tell you that drivers like making more money. Think on this, at 70 mph earning 66.4 cpm (with new raise) a driver is making $46.48 per hour behind the wheel. Do I need the union to be happy? How about... NO. Another raise will have me doing backflips though.

Just curious ? How much do you pay out of pocket each year for ins. Before the ins pays 100% ? Weekly deductions plus drs visits do on and so forth .
Last year I paid $7,700 out of pocket ! Yes $7,700 !! That F’ing hurt !

After reading Sucker's comments to you, I am going to take this opportunity to apologize to you for the way I responded. Sucker's reply was what I should have said. Your impression of the call was incorrect, in my opinion, however, I failed to understand that you clearly had your own opinion about the call. I see that there are clear and defined advantages to representation, yet, you don't. Maybe a better approach would be a reasonable dialog among all of us regarding what is happening with this company and what , if anything, we can do to fix it.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/b...1TAv0-DKslAvZjB52M_TE4EKwWuq9beHJG3tIiDx562b0

So, here's something we should all be concerned about. This must have been in the works for a long time, because Mr. Jacobs has been preparing to match his rates and prevent him from getting a leg up in the market. Jacobs spent 3 billion on this company and I doubt he's willing to let Amazon swallow up market share. That may be why we are seeing sub service instead of line haul, last mile handling all residential deliveries. Why pay 28.00 per hour when you can get it done for 12.00. Hours cut and over time cut. Labor is the largest cost for any company and decimating labor costs will give him the ability to match Amazons rates, at least in the short term. Neither can operate at a loss forever, but if they hold out long enough, every LTL carrier will have to follow suit and transition into the Ceva model. For the record, this is just my humble opinion. But it is food for thought.

That 46.48 is assuming you accelerate to 70 mph immediately and come to a screeching halt when you arrive at your destination, but, I get your point. It's still a very nice payday. However, if you were a UPS driver, you would be making more money and have free health care to boot. So, I would argue that union drivers actually do have an even nicer payday. If you have a wife and 2 kids, that's another 5K a year in your pocket..or IRA if you're smart.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the money but I pay 100 dollars a week for family medical that's 5200. A year plus my deductibles I just was wishing for team care where it cost you 75. A month union dues and some deductibles that's all. Money isn't everything to everybody

Got ya. If you want to get on the next call let me know. I’m not trying to persuade you into anything. I respect your stance. I just feel that you deserve your questions answered and I would hope you ask tough questions.

I feel bad you came away with that impression and not getting a chance to voice your concerns.
It's not me that needs to be on that call. As pointed out in other post I have my stance on the Union. It is the other drivers that were on the same call I was. I know of atleast 3 the were trying to push the union that were on the call. All 3 took the call the same way I did. As you can see on this thread it is being called the "dog whistle syndrome". Though they all said the same thing about the statement made at the end of the call. I been on both side of the fence like some at my barn and other no nothing about the union side, good, and bad. Just for me the non-union side has treated my better is my career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.