XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
XPO's largest ( also non-union ) competitor offers a pension and a 401k.

I didn't miss your point - I've asked a question. Another poster made it seem as though what FedEx Freight is doing can't be done in America. And I would guess FedEx is still profitable while doing so.

Except that they seem to have cut the 401k match in half to do it, and as of the beginning of the year that pension account was underfunded, and the payouts don't seem to be very impressive based on driver responses- even the union pushers at FedEx don't like it.

Of course I didn't answer your question. You wanted me to defend a statement I didn't make.

Anyway, that's what "bargaining" is- you accept things you don't want to get things you really want. Remember, neither the company or your bargaining agent is required to concede anything. That means if you want to get, you're going to have to give. If you want a lot, the other side can and will ask for a lot. Since you're just a passenger on the Teamster bus, there's no reason the union can't put things that benefit them into your contract, and don't think they won't.
With all due respect you didn't answer my question.
So I guess we can assume there is no legal way that the Teamsters can direct my money into a failing pension fund . The putting into contract is not an answer just another scare tactic that isn't worth responding to.
That answer reminds me of the type of answer the persuader that was at Xph would give and your much smarter than that money grubbing dumb ass. That guy was the butt of a lot of jokes for a while around here with both drivers and management. Anyway that's another story for some other time.

Your a great source of information to the company's strategic plan one would almost think that your involved in it personally but that's just silly thinking on my part.

Hey, I'm moving up! First you thought I was a union buster, now I'm a company negotiator. Sorry, still just a driver- I've got nothing to do with negotiations at any barn and no inside scoop on strategy.

You don't have to be on the Eagles roster to know they're going to try to pass the ball and run the ball to score touchdowns.

You would be surprised how they value to every word you say. Keep it coming.

You keep shoveling it and I'll keep hosing it off the patio.

All kidding aside I would love to pick your brain when it comes to investing if you ever have some spare time.

Hmm, looks like I'm going to be busy until, well, forever.

Last edited:
When contract time came around , the union and company would have a lead company that an agreement would be hammered out with. It would take longer because it was the first one.

Once the lead was done the other agreements were patterned after the lead and wrapped up a lot quicker since they were based off of the initial agreement.

That works great, if speed is a goal.

Hey, I'm moving up! First you thought I was a union buster, now I'm a company negotiator. Sorry, still just a driver- I've got nothing to do with negotiations at any barn and no inside scoop on strategy.

You don't have to be on the Eagles roster to know they're going to try to pass the ball and run the ball to score touchdowns.

Naah I don't see you making a good negotiator... no offense

Now that's not very team like. Ya thro an olive branch out and look what happens

Really Gene we're both out for the same thing we just coming at it from different directions. I do enjoy your response even if they get a little old sometimes.. carry on. :eagerness:

I know this is going to be hard for some to believe but I want this company to flourish and I would like to see Brad Jacobs become a trillionair if thats possible. The only difference is I don't see us getting there without attracting the best employees and to do that you have to be superior to the competition and be an attractive alternative to the rest of the industry and frankly right now we're not. Something has to change to drive us in that direction .

There's a lot of stereotyping that goes on here about both sides and even myself I may be guilty of it at times. I think most of us come at this from somewhere in the middle even though it seems here that we're at to extremes . I can assure you that most if not all the drivers at my barn have reasonable expectations and want this company to thrive . That's why I'm confident we will succeed.

Ok I'm done pontificating now...sorry about that.

Wow that's like driving a Ford and saying how great a Chevy is. If it is soooo great out there then leave go work for one of those companies. I used to be like you and talk how other companies were better then the place I worked and left. I used to work for AF now FedEx freight which a lot have said that's one of the places to go.
I did , after wasting 2 Decade's there with your former owners. I was pointing out that they Don't have the best Compensation package out there like they used to claim, Just saying.

I did , after wasting 2 Decade's there with your former owners. I was pointing out that they Don't have the best Compensation package out there like they used to claim, Just saying.
It slowly went from being the best to mediocre over a long period of time but at one time it was up there.
I remember when a big thing they always touted was a company you can retire from. That's why contracts are needed to maintain and keep those promises. Without it .... we'll you see what happens.

Last edited:
Sorry not an answer just more useless hyperbole.

So you think that they're going to convince XPO to create a whole new pension fund for XPO? Do you have any idea how much of a down payment there would be on something like that to ensure that it's going to be funded enough to pay for current retirees and those that are nearing retirement?

So you think that they're going to convince XPO to create a whole new pension fund for XPO? Do you have any idea how much of a down payment there would be on something like that to ensure that it's going to be funded enough to pay for current retirees and those that are nearing retirement?
No, you keep what you have and start at zero from the start of the plan. I personally like the idea of a defined contribution plan with an additional match , it give the employee an incentive to save as opposed to buying that new dually p/u

No, you keep what you have and start at zero from the start of the plan. I personally like the idea of a defined contribution plan with an additional match , it give the employee an incentive to save as opposed to buying that new dually p/u

I wouldn't mind having a defined pension as long as it was guaranteed like the postal service. Theirs is funded 75 years out and has to be by law. It's one of the reasons the postal service is broke off it's ass but the pension is a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.