XPO | XPO -vs- CONWAY

oldschoolltl

TB Lurker
Credits
I have 16 years invested in CONWAY. I started at the bottom and have paid my dues. I have worked as a team member with those I didn't always agree with or get along with. But, we were a team!! We collected all the freight we could in a day's work. We utilized every inch of outbound trailers, as best we could. We had no idea what load would hit that outbound dock, on a daily basis. But, we, as a team, got the job done!!! We did it with 4 or 5 dock "drivers" with much less damage to freight than we have now. Now, we employ dock workers. I have seen a few that are of good heart and get the job done, with pride. But, I am a firm believer that it takes, at least, two dock workers to efficiently achieve the mission of one driver. And, since implication of this program, freight damage has soared!!!! And, on the inbound side, because of lack of practical experience, delivery expedience has been compromised. This program, coupled with the "intern dispatcher" program, IMHO, have seriously compromised the efficiency of our delivery capabilities. "Making our numbers", as I understand it, gives management their bonus. Moving freight and making money gives the driver his or her bonus. IMHO, management has found a way to move less freight, and yet, get their bonus. At the end of the day, they **** us of our bonus. Space is waste? A program that only increases management's bonus and decreases our's because the resulting damage that occurs from it comes off the bottom line. Hey drivers, our bonus is calculated from the bottom line!!! Stoltar and his boys milked this company, ran it into the ground, for their own benefit!!! Our local leaders, regional/terminal managers, gave him the foundation he needed, through their weak character/leadership, to drive this company into the ground. I am now an inbound dock worker. Previous, I worked the outbound dock for 12 years. We packed every trailer high and tight, 125%,with much less damage than we see now. Some of us see very big tonnage drops. But, if you see what I do, management doesn't care about tonnage drops, damage or inefficient dispatching. They only care about the numbers. And, damage comes off the bottom line. Our bonus is based on the bottom line. Lower freight flow is easier to manage, easier to make the numbers. Space is waste. But, if warranted, without regard to damage, management makes their numbers and their bonus. The resulting damage goes to the bottom line and decreases our bonus. I welcome XPO. I hope they are more compassionate to their drivers: the people that get the job done!!

I have 16 years invested in CONWAY. I started at the bottom and have paid my dues. I have worked as a team member with those I didn't always agree with or get along with. But, we were a team!! We collected all the freight we could in a day's work. We utilized every inch of outbound trailers, as best we could. We had no idea what load would hit that outbound dock, on a daily basis. But, we, as a team, got the job done!!! We did it with 4 or 5 dock "drivers" with much less damage to freight than we have now. Now, we employ dock workers. I have seen a few that are of good heart and get the job done, with pride. But, I am a firm believer that it takes, at least, two dock workers to efficiently achieve the mission of one driver. And, since implication of this program, freight damage has soared!!!! And, on the inbound side, because of lack of practical experience, delivery expedience has been compromised. This program, coupled with the "intern dispatcher" program, IMHO, have seriously compromised the efficiency of our delivery capabilities. "Making our numbers", as I understand it, gives management their bonus. Moving freight and making money gives the driver his or her bonus. IMHO, management has found a way to move less freight, and yet, get their bonus. At the end of the day, they **** us of our bonus. Space is waste? A program that only increases management's bonus and decreases our's because the resulting damage that occurs from it comes off the bottom line. Hey drivers, our bonus is calculated from the bottom line!!! Stoltar and his boys milked this company, ran it into the ground, for their own benefit!!! Our local leaders, regional/terminal managers, gave him the foundation he needed, through their weak character/leadership, to drive this company into the ground. I am now an inbound dock worker. Previous, I worked the outbound dock for 12 years. We packed every trailer high and tight, 125%,with much less damage than we see now. Some of us see very big tonnage drops. But, if you see what I do, management doesn't care about tonnage drops, damage or inefficient dispatching. They only care about the numbers. And, damage comes off the bottom line. Our bonus is based on the bottom line. Lower freight flow is easier to manage, easier to make the numbers. Space is waste. But, if warranted, without regard to damage, management makes their numbers and their bonus. The resulting damage goes to the bottom line and decreases our bonus. I welcome XPO. I hope they are more compassionate to their drivers: the people that get the job done!!

1. Damages are way down since the late nineties. It used to be nothing to open a trailer that looked like a tornado hit it, now guys cry if they have to recoup a skid or two a night. I'm not saying that the dockworkers get credit for the change, just that it's a fact.

2. Managements bonus is based on profit. No profit, no bonus. The differences between hourly and management are the size of bonus, and the threshold for achieving it. Drivers get a bonus if a profit is made, no matter how small. Profits have to reach a certain number before managements kicks in, but once it does, the bonus is much higher than drivers. Theoretically, there could be a year when you get something, and your manager doesn't.

3. Some drivers load better than some dockworkers. Some dockers load better than some drivers. That's life. But drivers are paid a drivers wage, and dockworkers are paid a dockworkers wage. If this was Oldschoollltl Trucking Inc., I'll bet you would want your drivers to drive, not load freight.

4. The FMT program has produced some winners, and some losers. Don't like it, maybe you should try for a promotion?

5. And by the way, one of those "numbers" that management is graded on is freight damages.

Safestack is the reason damages are lower than they were historically. I remember loading on the FAC when you were lucky to find a rack. We would put one in the nose and load it light and then pack it in. Double stack everything because that was your only option. No straps, we used to run out of dunnage to. Safestack loads are packed tight and strapped right and I unload trailers at the FAC now with nothing fallen over or stacked. Damages happen when people don't take care of the freight and use the tools they are given.

Safestack is the reason damages are lower than they were historically. I remember loading on the FAC when you were lucky to find a rack. We would put one in the nose and load it light and then pack it in. Double stack everything because that was your only option. No straps, we used to run out of dunnage to. Safestack loads are packed tight and strapped right and I unload trailers at the FAC now with nothing fallen over or stacked. Damages happen when people don't take care of the freight and use the tools they are given.

A lot of truth here. I wonder if he will try to improve the safe stack system. Them shark teeth on the walls drive everyone nuts.

A lot of truth here. I wonder if he will try to improve the safe stack system. Them shark teeth on the walls drive everyone nuts.
The s/s rails will be recessed into the trailer walls on all new trailers going forward. Don't know if it will happen with XPO sale, but that's what I was told.

If I did something wrong, it's probably because I'm new here. Sorry.
Welcome to the boards, since you are new, I will talk to the leaders and ask them if you can be put in a trailer and then force load the trailer to 125%. Send you to the DC and return you to the Dock as refused freight and let you sit and think about what you have done. :hide: Seriously, welcome to the truckingboards, AH! what the heck I am an outsider, beat him down. :hysterical:

Yes a lot of truth. But its obvious from the beginning of SafeStack to now, a lot of new dock workers have come and gone and damages have went up because of these people. I see it everyday. I also watch them not recoup freight before it goes on a peddle run because they dont know the consequences of taking this freight to the customer.

Yes a lot of truth. But its obvious from the beginning of SafeStack to now, a lot of new dock workers have come and gone and damages have went up because of these people. I see it everyday. I also watch them not recoup freight before it goes on a peddle run because they dont know the consequences of taking this freight to the customer.
I have seen lots of drivers do the very same thing. Its got nothing to do with the job title, it has everything to do with caring. We have some great dockworkers at my barn that do a terrific job and some not so good. Same with drivers on the dock.

I have seen lots of drivers do the very same thing. Its got nothing to do with the job title, it has everything to do with caring. We have some great dockworkers at my barn that do a terrific job and some not so good. Same with drivers on the dock.

Give a ::shit:: was at an all time low before the sale was announced.

I don't even know how to measure it presently. All people seem to give a ::shit:: about is who's staying and who's leaving and who's hiring.

People are wanting some kind of communication. He had the town hall and met with the palace. But has yet to explain his position on any intentions for the future of LTL drivers in XPO.

A lot of drama could be averted with a simple video.

Give a :::shit::: was at an all time low before the sale was announced.

I don't even know how to measure it presently. All people seem to give a :::shit::: about is who's staying and who's leaving and who's hiring.

People are wanting some kind of communication. He had the town hall and met with the palace. But has yet to explain his position on any intentions for the future of LTL drivers in XPO.

A lot of drama could be averted with a simple video.
There may be some rule and regulations regarding what can and cannot be done before the sale is final. I guessing. Don't forget , our old "leadership" team is still in control.

There may be some rule and regulations regarding what can and cannot be done before the sale is final. I guessing. Don't forget , our old "leadership" team is still in control.

And I have seen the little announcements over the last couple weeks as members of the senior management team have been jumping ship.

There is a way and it's not even a hard or complicated or difficult way to speak to everyone. He has bought up so much stuff it's easy to find someone that has or is working at one of these places. And they have said that the day of closing he had a video out. This guy moves fast. They also seem to say that things don't change much. At least, not at the working mans level.

Cautiously optimistic doesn't mean I'm not still skeptical and realistic. Many of us have been trained to be disappointed.

My advice would be to just go in and do your job and let the chips fall were they fall. The only guarantee is when everyone lays down and cripples the operations. Then you've got your guarantee.......guaranteed failure. I watched it at my former employer. Just do your part, and if it fails, you move on, but you'll sleep just fine at night afterward since you know that it wasn't your fault.

You did nothing wrong except speak the truth, its obvious this guy is management or is drinking way too much blue Kool aid.

No, I am not management or koolaidaholic. I was referring to the fact that there were roughly 20 other XPO threads including one with the same title as this one that was on the bottom of the page when this was started. Also, icuicp posted a very nice introduction for new members explaining that they should look at what's already started and add to existing topics. We really don't need two pages worth of threads that are all about XPO and Con-Way. That's all I was getting at!

I agree with that.Everybody seems to forget we destroyed freight long before dockworks came into the picture!!!! I hope XPO can put a stop to the linehaul drivers who come into a reship and spend the night hunting down THEIR freight only . My new game is to take breakers with there freight on it open it up and walk away. You should hear the bitching then,it is so touching when it is not all about them.LOL