Estes | Xtra Board guys get ready!!

pathfinder73929

TB Lurker
Credits
We are being starved out!!! I hope that most of you guys have extra money set aside to last as long as you can. I think the company is shaking the trees as much as they can to see how many they can get to quit. Then after the first of the year we are looking at a layoff. I hate that this is happening and I wish everyone the best of luck. Guys batten down your hatches, we are in for a very bumpy ride!!!!

I think you might be right and of course "lay off" means "terminated" here.

Man bring back that Johnny Cash song, and re do it. I'd like to hear him strum a song about the BIG E.
This stuff is gettin old real quik, I knew I should have taken that job I could have got last year, and not had to deal with this torture were gettin.
Anybody ever heard of unfair labor practices. I believe we have them right here at the BIG E.

go to the yrcw board and see unfair, torture they have it all over there

Heard alot about this forum lately, now seems to be a good time to join in with all of the crap going on.
Pathfinder, I hope you are wrong about starving drivers out to get them to quit without
having to do layoffs . I know some drivers that have been down to 2 days a week if they are lucky. This is scaring the crap out of me with alot more drivers being out on the xtra board . I just hope its just the way things are shaking out and not a strategy from higher up.

well runninwild, I have only worked 1 day in the past 10, of course that includes the holiday and weekends but. I hope I am wrong as well but I am afraid I am very much correct. It has been stated that we have to many extra board drivers BEFORE this big reset of runs actually happened. Now we have quite a few more because they canceled so many schedules. I was told that 010 has over 50 extra board drivers now. Only 5 leave out on Sunday and the rest try to get out on Monday. There is NO way thats even possible with the lack of freight we have now. The company is working to trim the fat where they can and cut costs ASAP. The more drivers that will quit means the less they will have to pay in unemployment when the layoff happens. I was only trying to help my fellow drivers that read these posts to maybe get them to be very careful with there money.

I hope most of us can hold out . Things were slow before the schedules were reset. Who knows maybe they are waiting for another company to go under and plan to get that frieght. Would be nice to know if there was a plan.

My wife is a higher up at another company and they try to get folks to quit there to keep from paying uemployment. I recon that's an easy way to save money. .............I know its a hassle but you have to do what's best for your family. If ya quit. Keep postin here and let us know where the rest of us can get a job. Hopefully we can find one with new 379 pete's, big 600+ kitty, 18 speed, leath'r heated seats, chrome tx bumper, ck'n lts, tall rubber 24's, twin turbo's, custom paint, 100" sleeper, daytime run, park the truck at the house to show mama and 70 cents a mile with 100% drop and hook. with the option to run to Las Vegas from time to time.:1036316054: Anyone find a job with that description send me an email.:popcorn:
All joking aside.....I HEAR per a friend who heard from someone up yonder with a white collar. Day time runs are going to be posted throughout in the near future. As freight levels are expected to increase so are the scheduled runs. Outside haulers will be a thing of the past. May all be a rumor but it sounds good.

Ya and it sounded good with the thing about getting rid of hotel bills and trying to make Big E more of a out and back company, kind of like Fed EX, CCX, etc.
I'm not sure we are capable of that.
Heard that alot before this big changover happened. But wow now talked to somebody that has been stuck in a Hotel for over a day out east.
Another guy wanted to be home on the weekend but they gave him a choice, go here or hang out till we get something.
Since I have been out of the Navy, and construction, and into trucking for the last 15 years this has got to be the worst I have had it.
Sure I get paid pretty well but the eviroment sucks. How about moral of the troops, does Richmond care at all.
I should have got out when they tried that deal of bunking 2 drivers in hotel rooms together. GEE MC FLY!!!! DAH expand the mind a little at that time and I might have went running away, but I stuck with it ever since prayin everyday that things would get better here.
Wait maybe we just wanna be like everybody else with a big turnover rate.
Well good day, see you out on the road.

I can't believe that the operations people could be so stupid to believe that they could get so many extra board drivers out on Sunday and Monday. Only thing I can figure is this was there way of making as many drivers quit as they could. It was stated to me once again last night that we as a company are very over staffed for the amount of freight that we currently have.

I've heard so many drivers complaining about how things are now. Drivers that before the change, never had a bad word to say. I've heard drivers talk of sitting at my terminal for up to 18 hours waiting for freight. Which seems kinda odd to me because we've been behind 60+ loads of freight since turkey day. As for us dock personnel.. first they decided to cut our hours from 42 to 40, then Richmond decided that they were going to "close" us for 24 hours on the weekend. Yet ever since we've been "closed" on the weekend, they've been asking for people to work during the weekends. Now since the freight is literally falling off the dock (we have no empties), and we're so behind.. we're back to our 42 hours and on mandatory 4 hours of OT. What I'd like to know is, would some of the drivers trapped in a bunk room/hotel room like to work the dock? I mean, they'd at least make some $$ instead of basically losing an entire days work sitting and waiting. I wonder if they've even asked any of them or its even a consideration. Something else I've heard is that just because you're on a bid run, doesn't mean that you might not be told to stay home and it will be ran EB. Supposedly that will be regardless of your status (linehaul/hub). So now instead of having most of the drivers we have being pissed off and grumpy, now all of you will be? :nutkick: Basically, what I'm saying is... this entire debacle has me scratching my head along with all of you folks that are on the road or the ones getting bed sores from waiting for a dispatch. It just seems that they want as many people to quit as possible, and/or they're using the trying economic times to leverage people into being grateful that they're getting out a few times a week. Maybe a few hundred or thousand calls to Richmond might tell them something, or when the economy decides to turn around and we've got freight again. They'll realize they cut off their nose to spite their face. Only time will tell I suppose. In any case, keep up the good work and be safe out there.
:1036316054:

I can speak only for myself on the mileage question. I got 636 last week and none so far this week. I am not afraid of work. I am willing to work the dock, run city, work a hub, whatever to keep a pay check. I have asked and been turned down.
I guess since I was forced to extra board I was swept out with the trash.

you hear alot about the company starving people to try to get them
to quit so they dont have to pay them unemployment for firing
them, well dont think that estes is the only one doing that it is
going on at a few of the other companies also. you guys that are
only working 1 or 2 days a week you need to go and file for partical
unemployment they will pay you for the time that you are missing..