FedEx Freight | Yard managment control

WRONGWAY

TB Lurker
Credits
@ cgt and other terminals they are making a transition to computers in the horses to make the moves to and from dock. Just curious if this is actally a good idea. I know of many companies that do have or have done this type of operation,but I have never experienced it. Basically the shack boss types in the moves and tells everything about that trailer (ie. destination,weight) even where it is located in the yard. Now it also makes you put your i.d number next to the move so they know how productive you are out there. So, IS THIS REALLY for yard managment control or just a snitch to show what you are doing out there. I myself don't care cause I work the whole time,but for the other ones that are lazy and don't care and to busy telling drivers what they think they should be doing, well **** on them because they should'nt be out there anyways.

@ cgt and other terminals they are making a transition to computers in the horses to make the moves to and from dock. Just curious if this is actally a good idea. I know of many companies that do have or have done this type of operation,but I have never experienced it. Basically the shack boss types in the moves and tells everything about that trailer (ie. destination,weight) even where it is located in the yard. Now it also makes you put your i.d number next to the move so they know how productive you are out there. So, IS THIS REALLY for yard managment control or just a snitch to show what you are doing out there. I myself don't care cause I work the whole time,but for the other ones that are lazy and don't care and to busy telling drivers what they think they should be doing, well **** on them because they should'nt be out there anyways.

Where is "Gator" when you really need him? The only hostler I ever knew of that could put on a clinic on how to do a power-slide in the yard horse and then crawl in the sleeper with a Lonely truck driving woman. If you remember "Gator" you will have to admit he was quite a guy. Those were the Good Old Days in Chicago.

This system is a good deal and makes your work in the yard a much easier task. No more going row after row looking for trailers very easy to learn.
Most sign on with a employee id number and some clown in the building puts in the move/hooks. The things ya got to watch out for are the person that can't get the slot numbers right. The dispatcher that changes moves without telling you to refresh your screen. City drivers that drop their trailers in slots and do not enter them.
Another major safety problem is dock moves that get changed or entered before trailer is closed. Many people have taken the ride because someone is in a big hurry. They may if not already have stopped putting wheel chocks under trailers. This saves the time of getting out walking back to see if door closed. A system of oval mirrors mounted at each door works well if they do away with chocking. I believe this is a safety issue that OSHA should get involved with. Also some system such as a chain across the door that is put up and down by the person that opens the door and the one that closes it out. Reason being some go getter dock guy comes along and opens the door to get that one more shipment on the trailer and winds up getting taken for a ride,freight falls out of trailer and hurts him,damages freight. Worse yet hostler pulls trailer out sees its the wrong door or door open backs up and smashes the guy that fell out or jumped off dock. This has happened and killed people !!
The outfit I worked for it got so bad doing dock moves that you had to radio the dock foreman to see if it was clear to move before you backed under it.
Your safety and the ones you work with should be the goal here not how fast it can be done !
And YES it will snitch on you! It leaves a trail of everything you do from sign on to sign off !!

popcorn, i hostled right along side of gator, bet he he couldnt get by with that now lol, shrink wraping people to the flag pole, man those were good times

When I worked the yard I wouldve loved to have had this. Between trying to keep up with calls while removing chocks. Dealing with people that don't call out what they pull. If it is done right it I should be good.

Watkins had computers in hostlers at their big hubs. It worked great.
If you had trouble finding a trailer on a big yard you just asked a hostler and he pulled it up and told you exactly were on the yard it was.

popcorn, i hostled right along side of gator, bet he he couldnt get by with that now lol, shrink wraping people to the flag pole, man those were good times

Amen, those were the good old days. Do you know the little bathroom on the dock at CGX down by 126 door? Gator saw me go in there one night and 30 seconds later I am standing there the door flies open and he fogs that 8x8 bathroom with a fire extinguisher. I was covered up with white dust and had to run out to breathe. But Gator didn't see the terminal manager had ducked in there before me, and man was he bent out of shape over the horseplay. That TM quit a week later.

Cody said:
Computers in horses? Had me scratching my head. We call them yard dogs out west.

In Chicago land a fork lift is a jeep. Yard dog is a horse to them. It's no wonder Illinois is so screwed up. Once you get out of Lake county Indiana thing go back to normal.

Cab Lizzard said:
This system is a good deal and makes your work in the yard a much easier task. No more going row after row looking for trailers very easy to learn.
Most sign on with a employee id number and some clown in the building puts in the move/hooks. The things ya got to watch out for are the person that can't get the slot numbers right. The dispatcher that changes moves without telling you to refresh your screen. City drivers that drop their trailers in slots and do not enter them.
Another major safety problem is dock moves that get changed or entered before trailer is closed. Many people have taken the ride because someone is in a big hurry. They may if not already have stopped putting wheel chocks under trailers. This saves the time of getting out walking back to see if door closed. A system of oval mirrors mounted at each door works well if they do away with chocking. I believe this is a safety issue that OSHA should get involved with. Also some system such as a chain across the door that is put up and down by the person that opens the door and the one that closes it out. Reason being some go getter dock guy comes along and opens the door to get that one more shipment on the trailer and winds up getting taken for a ride,freight falls out of trailer and hurts him,damages freight. Worse yet hostler pulls trailer out sees its the wrong door or door open backs up and smashes the guy that fell out or jumped off dock. This has happened and killed people !!
The outfit I worked for it got so bad doing dock moves that you had to radio the dock foreman to see if it was clear to move before you backed under it.
Your safety and the ones you work with should be the goal here not how fast it can be done !
And YES it will snitch on you! It leaves a trail of everything you do from sign on to sign off !!

Ups freight puts a chain up across the door that a reflector on it. So the jockey can see if the chain is up. At the end of chain a dock hook is there so it has two uses. Conway uses the chock system.

WRONGWAY said:

What computer knowing where a trailer is spotted it can make a jockey more efficient instead of having to search for a trailer.

Not chocking a trailer at the dock is nothing but a way to speed up production !! When more than one person is in the yard the job is much easier if the same person does the in and the out at the same door. Speed demons make you look bad when you work at a safe speed..
Also we all know that every trailer has its brakes adjusted and would never roll away from the dock while loading too..
Snow and ice on the dock apron only compounds the hazard for all !
Great system but lots of safety issues !!