XPO | Yard Safety

Dodge Ram

TB Veteran
Credits
I was thinking about this tonight and I wonder if anyone ever thought of this. At all of the Service Centers The buildings are in the center of the property. To go to the offices, dock from the parking lot you have to walk across the yard. Some of the walkways are pretty long. Hostlers flying around like a bat outta hell and trucks running around I'm surprised that no one has gotten run over more often. The funny is that the company makes the hostlers hear those vests, but what about the people that have to walk across the Yard? Sometimes the yard is a more dangerous place to be than on the dock. Look at where the employee parking lot is at XCW, XCN, XDE,XCO.Seems to me that it is pretty stupid to have the parking so far away across the yard. Also where they want you to park during the reship.

I was thinking about this tonight and I wonder if anyone ever thought of this. At all of the Service Centers The buildings are in the center of the property. To go to the offices, dock from the parking lot you have to walk across the yard. Some of the walkways are pretty long. Hostlers flying around like a bat outta hell and trucks running around I'm surprised that no one has gotten run over more often. The funny is that the company makes the hostlers hear those vests, but what about the people that have to walk across the Yard? Sometimes the yard is a more dangerous place to be than on the dock. Look at where the employee parking lot is at XCW, XCN, XDE,XCO.Seems to me that it is pretty stupid to have the parking so far away across the yard. Also where they want you to park during the reship.

I have never run XCW so I can't speak from experience there but as for the other three...the hostler drivers do a bang up job of watching out for pedestrians. They are under the gun constantly from the sector supervisors wanting this and that and wanting it NOW!...

The LH drivers are also to be commended for being aware of their environment when arrive at the reship...once again it is a hurry...hurry...hurry mindset but the ones I have seen in action are real pros at being cognizant of the pedestrians around them and where they may or may not be at any given moment.

Of course their are the newbies...and there seems to be alot of them lately...new hires running into the FAC and basically clueless as to how things work...they are under the gun too! They are trying to prove themselves worthy of their keep, possibly get distracted, and may not be aware of what is going on around them at any given moment. These are the ones I watch out for...not because they are careless...but because of the reasons I have mentioned.

Those of us who have been around for awhile know the rules of the game...the rookies may not. They have just way too much to absorb and deal with...trying to make their mark...not only with the company but with the 'shirts' as well.

Seems to me the most dangerous time is when the reship closes and there are dozens of LH drivers hooking at the same time...everyone wanting to get out and get home.

What I do is act as though I am invisible...nobody sees me or knows I am anywhere around...I trust no one...hostler drivers... LH drivers...no one! Not because they don't know what they are doing...they may just not see me! And I definitely don't want to get into an altercation with tons of steel and diesel engine...the outcome would not bode well for me.

Rat

There are more FAC's that above dark all around the Terminal. One night back in the winter it was raining and around 10pm , I was driving around the building SLOWY and still could just barely see a driver walking thru the yard ( Still trying to figure out where he was coming from or what he was doing). He was wearing his dark blue Con-Way Jacket.Scared me to death . There are a lot of our Yards that are not lit very well. A lot of yards has lights out and no one seems to care .

There are more FAC's that above dark all around the Terminal. One night back in the winter it was raining and around 10pm , I was driving around the building SLOWY and still could just barely see a driver walking thru the yard ( Still trying to figure out where he was coming from or what he was doing). He was wearing his dark blue Con-Way Jacket.Scared me to death . There are a lot of our Yards that are not lit very well. A lot of yards has lights out and no one seems to care .

Yes same thing happened to me i have hostled more than a few times and it was raining just as the sun came down...in the corner of my eye i saw a driver running from the front of the hostler....it was also right after we went from brown to blue....i was just idleing in the yard...I never saw him..i went inside and apologized to him and said i never saw u till u were away from the truck...he is a seasoned driver who knew what to look for...the blue jackets seem to be harder to see than the brown one were..at least for me...but it could of been a tragedy....it would be nice if we were able to get those reflective stripes on the jackets that we were able to get on the old brown ones...i didnt see alot of guys with the reflectors but i did see a few,so they were available

Yes same thing happened to me i have hostled more than a few times and it was raining just as the sun came down...in the corner of my eye i saw a driver running from the front of the hostler....it was also right after we went from brown to blue....i was just idleing in the yard...I never saw him..i went inside and apologized to him and said i never saw u till u were away from the truck...he is a seasoned driver who knew what to look for...the blue jackets seem to be harder to see than the brown one were..at least for me...but it could of been a tragedy....it would be nice if we were able to get those reflective stripes on the jackets that we were able to get on the old brown ones...i didnt see alot of guys with the reflectors but i did see a few,so they were available

Pleeeeeze, not brown!::shit::

My whole point is that the company makes the hostlers wear the safety vests but no one else has too. Walking from the employee parking or even getting a tank of propane.

My whole point is that the company makes the hostlers wear the safety vests but no one else has too. Walking from the employee parking or even getting a tank of propane.

Absolutely, the most dangerous aspect of any night's work, is getting from the dock to your tractor, and back. Saw a driver run down by a hostler one night; Hostler got fired, driver was off work for over a year.........The Interstate is cake, compared to getting across the yard.

What Ive noticed....

At the reship I attend every night. I notice the same guys who speed around the yard with their semi's are the same ones who speed around the dock in an unsafely manner with the fork truck at top speed all the time, doesnt matter how conjested the dock is, they never slow down. Ive also noticed they are not newbies, but veteran drivers. Usually the same guys who line up 4 or 5 skids and bulldoze them down the dock all at once. Its funny the sector bosses never say a word to them, but you better have that safety belt on.

why dont you just walk across the yard with your flash light in your hand?? and for the guys up north....TURN IT ON !!

just to clarify. up north is anything north of the RED-RIVER.

as info.

FYI

13yjywg.gif

Ive also noticed they are not newbies, but veteran drivers. Usually the same guys who line up 4 or 5 skids and bulldoze them down the dock all at once. Its funny the sector bosses never say a word to them, but you better have that safety belt on.
I have also noticed this practice goes unchallenged ,even when it is damaging the pallet (nice way for the skid to fall apart in the next trailer).

Doppler is correct and YES, we will send you all of that sh&# beer you want. I don't know of anybody that drinks that swill.. LOLshit:biglaugh::nutkick::Off-Topic:

beerfed, you have 24 hours to retract this statement, other wise you will put on the soon to be yankee list. come on man think of your kids !!!! what if they heard you talking that way !!!?? 24 hours....tic tic tic