ODFL | yellow equipment

gliderman

TB Lurker
Credits
when out at RTO i saw about 15 yrc pups one was hooked to a OD tractor +pup yrc pup was the tail and the set was on its way to Cincinnati,does anybody know what is up with this

If they were brand new its common for a carrier to use the unit one time and deliver to another carrier. Sounds weird but it does happen.

we usually shuttle trailers once or twice a year for yrc its nothing new just make sure its always your rear as yrc trailers dont have the piston in the pintle hook to take the slack out

easttnhillbilly said:
we usually shuttle trailers once or twice a year for yrc its nothing new just make sure its always your rear as yrc trailers dont have the piston in the pintle hook to take the slack out

They dont have a lock in the hook? Im surprised thats an option.

We were pulling alot off ABF Trailer's last year..They were doing the samething with the OD trailer's..You scratch my back I will scratch your's.Alway's work.

They were removed years ago before the merger.
The ram was installed on the converter gear when the company rebuilt all their fleet.
The company said it would be cheaper to maintain in the long run. QUOTE=fartknocker;1059169]They dont have a lock in the hook? Im surprised thats an option.[/QUOTE]

Pulled a pair last night, relays from PHX gong to IND. Some of this lately is due to extra trailers of ours going west to build inventory, other carriers have glut due to piggyback. Instead of them paying railroad to haul empties back, OD loads em, pulls them. Win- win for each carrier. Relayed a couple of our trailers going west that were loaded with new, unassembled jiffs. Makes up for extra jiffs coming back, and to add jiffs to sysem. Been pulling ABF, Yellow, and Estes sets loaded with our freight at least ounce a week.

Here's the reason I was given for us pulling these trailers(I pulled 2 "E" wagons Saturday)OD ordered a large number of P/D vans with liftgates that'll be heading west in the next few weeks,and since all of the freight outfits have a large imbalance of freight coming east they're more than happy to have us load up their pups and take them east for them,we unload them and take them back to their owners so they can reload them,and when we move those vans west the pool of available OD pups to go east from the western states will still be there.

All good points but the main reason as Daylight stated is trailer pool balance. All of our new trailers come from Wabash in Lafayette I.N. 64 miles from IND. So we run our trailers out to west, south or wherever and bring back other carriers trailers. I was at Wabash the other day and we have over 1000 pups and who knows how many vans sitting there. Guess how much fun it is trying to find 2 trailer numbers out of all those sitting there! We have some vitran trailers sitting in IND also. I bobtailed from MSP to Wabash a few weeks ago (541 miles) just to get a van and take to IND.