FedEx Freight | yellow poles

chitownpeddler

TB Veteran
Credits
Do any of your yards have problems with drivers hitting the yellow poles around the fire hydrants? We have had several over the last few years. We had one a couple of nights ago. Road driver looking for his trailer hit one right in the middle of his front bumper. I heard he got a 4" gash in his fore head. Last year a road driver hit one so hard it shoved his steer tire into the fuel tank. A few years ago a driver was "training" a part timer on using the spotter. They slammed into the pole so hard they both almost went through the windshield.
It just seems like this is happening more frequently then it did in the past. Last year they installed reflectors on the poles trying to stop the problem. I was just curious if this is happening at other centers or are we just cursed?

We had an apprentice run over the scale display in SBN. I dont know how he did it,its mounted at the end of the fuel island right next to the curb. We also had a driver have a head on in his pickup truck with a driver entering the property.

Paint them a different color than the ones on the dock. Forklift drivers don't see yellow. (Judging from the dock poles)

In Atlanta the poles in the parking lots are topped with orange flags and pole extensions. The flags are windshield height but still that pole yellow pole gets scuffed.

paint them like this or put reflective stripe tape on the tops. Or paint a super model on them and they wont get hit then.

How many drivers have lost their jobs for hitting something like this in a yard?

imagesCAQEC2A6.jpg

In CMH they fixed this problem by not putting any poles around the fire hydrants. How someone hasn't taken one out is beyond me.

You scuff the pole you get a self-applied "rookie" stripe even though it won't be on the rear bumper, we'll still know who you are. Fog lights in the yard and yellow stripes...Now there are two ways to pick out the newbies!!!

Yeah I heard a AUR driver did this # last wk...hope he's alright tho. Point blank these individuals aren't paying attention or are rushing! Not saying I'm perfect....but if u work in day light then there should be no excuse....but at night in a yard then maybe so. I've seen those yellow poles in areas around a terminal where either there was no light or a little light. Point blank they'll say it's your fault...u weren't paying attention...and that they're painted a color that the human eye should catch crap....y'all know the drill.

In CMH they fixed this problem by not putting any poles around the fire hydrants. How someone hasn't taken one out is beyond me.

I almost did. I was backing a pup in to the 4 line didn't see the hydrant at first. Thankfully I was a few inches from the side of it. I took pictures to show the boss just how dangerous this is. Told them if someone hits that hydrant they will shut down the water supply for the entire center. Not one have a costly dig.

Yeah I heard a AUR driver did this # last wk...hope he's alright tho. Point blank these individuals aren't paying attention or are rushing! Not saying I'm perfect....but if u work in day light then there should be no excuse....but at night in a yard then maybe so. I've seen those yellow poles in areas around a terminal where either there was no light or a little light. Point blank they'll say it's your fault...u weren't paying attention...and that they're painted a color that the human eye should catch crap....y'all know the drill.

I think they said around 15 stitches across his forehead. He has been in watching safety videos so I guess for the most part he is ok

I think they said around 15 stitches across his forehead. He has been in watching safety videos so I guess for the most part he is ok

15 stitches! Whoa! Well atleast he's watching the safety vids...that's normally a good sign. I see the seatbelt policy coming even in the yard when hooking coming!......

It must be very difficult to drive those fed-ex trucks looking out of your belly button,I would suggest longer poles but then I am not in safty

if you cant see a yella pole hang up yer cell phone and drive. ya'll ain't drivers you are steering wheel holders

I know of somw people that have done that. I think the last one I heard was a MAU Driver hit a yellow pole in his own yard. A few weeks a MSN driver did the same thing in the MAU yard.