Yellow | yellow roadway corporation

%99

Friend of the frog said:
People forget that RDWY was the bigger company at the time of the aquisition. That is without even including NPME.

RDWY also was able to do something that Yellow could never do and that was to buy a small regional company (NPME) and keep them profitable. Every small company Yellow bought they destroyed.

I could see the Yellow 1-2 lanes and RDWY long haul and that all makes sense. I just never understood the USF purchase. They paid more for USF then RDWY if my memory serves me. I think RDWY was $900 million with some debt concessions which brought the buy in price to about 1.25 billion. The USF was closer to about 1.50 billion.

As far as what we have today. You have Yellow and RDWY, two traditional long haul carriers, trying to expand into regional markets.

Then you have USF and NPME two traditional regional carriers expanding into the long haul market.

SO you have three compnanies stepping all over each other....Not very effecient financially if you ask me.

I do think they are waiting for the next contract to see where things shake loose. In the meantime, they are making money, so no one complains, but from the outside, it sure looks like big changes are on the horizon.
I agree with %99 of your post FOTF especailly about what yellow has done with the companies it bought to be regional carriers. That is why Jim S. is over that division. And I don't believe there will ever any merger within YRCW as long as each brand is making the profits they are. Even with double and triple coverage. The bottom line says profits... profits... So if they were to merge some they would loose profits. Look at the last 2 major LTL purchases that were mergers. ABF/Carolina and OD/Freddie... They both ABF and OD that is are just getting over that big mess and HUGE LOSS OF MONEY.....HBF also said that ABF is just getting over the Carolina mess. That was a total loss.....

ABF bought Carolina - It was 100% not a merger.

When I worked for ABF they would bring us to Ft Smith for meetings. Your first tour they brought you though the executive offices and the guy who was president of Carolina had a 3-4 year deal to stay on board after the acquisition.

His desk was right by the door, literally. They told every manager or salesman that came in that his desk was there for a reason. He would be thrown out on his arse the day his deal was over.

Carolina had lied and overstated so much information that it would ,ake Enron look like the Boy Scouts.

It is true that ABF almost went under because of it. They have been cleared of the Carolina disaster for about 5-6 years now. When I was working there the first time the stock was about $7-$8 per share....It now gives Yellow a run for its money.

ABF is the best run long haul company in this country. Especially considering that it must work within a union contract.

I will always tip my hat to those guys.

No one will convince me it was not a merger.

What I don't understand then FOTF if it were not a merger why does ABF have all them Carolina people working for them now? When did ABF hire them and when did ABF shut down Carolina? I don't understand how ABF has so many Carolina people if it were not a merger? I have talked personally to several (like 30 or so) Carolina P&D drivers (this is not rumor) I got it from them that have horror stories how they got screwed in the merger with there seniority. And I seen it my self also a ABF truck pulling a Carolina trailer with a x Carolina Driver it. And also A ABF Driver in the same equpement. I don't understand how you get it was not a merger? Just because of some desk? And FOTF I mean no disrespect at all I am only dissagreeing with you on the merger or not thing is all....

ABF bought the entire company, including equipment, book of business and employees.

They had to keep the contract emplyees (union members) and they weeded out the non contractuals over the years depending on their work ethic.

The equipment was not changed over because of the financial straits the company was in after the buyout. That was the biggest source of confusion for the public. The employees were pretty aware it was a purchase and not a merger.

The only thing that confused me was why ABF agreed to dove tale the union members. This caused a great seperation and rift that still is there today between ABF guys and Carolina guys.

Trust me 100% it was a buyout. There are few things I claim to know 100% about and this is one of them.

Also think of the Yellwo Roadway purchase. There are still tons of RDWY guys around, RDWY equipment. They even changed the name of the company, but it was still a purchase. They just chose to run seperate operations, whereas ABF integrated it all into one name.

Hope this makes sense to you.

And you do not need to tippy toe Toxic. I can understand where you are coming from.

God is good.

Why does new USF equipment mirror Yellow, but Roadway equipment does not? All orange tractors,and grey wheels,the trailers have grey wheels also.

Friend of the frog said:
ABF bought the entire company, including equipment, book of business and employees.

They had to keep the contract emplyees (union members) and they weeded out the non contractuals over the years depending on their work ethic.

The equipment was not changed over because of the financial straits the company was in after the buyout. That was the biggest source of confusion for the public. The employees were pretty aware it was a purchase and not a merger.

The only thing that confused me was why ABF agreed to dove tale the union members. This caused a great seperation and rift that still is there today between ABF guys and Carolina guys.

Trust me 100% it was a buyout. There are few things I claim to know 100% about and this is one of them.

Also think of the Yellwo Roadway purchase. There are still tons of RDWY guys around, RDWY equipment. They even changed the name of the company, but it was still a purchase. They just chose to run seperate operations, whereas ABF integrated it all into one name.

Hope this makes sense to you.

And you do not need to tippy toe Toxic. I can understand where you are coming from.

God is good.

abf did not buy anyone froggy

ark best purchased worldway
both not signatory to the nmfa

ark best was abf's parent company
worldway was carolina's parent company

once the deal was consumated all subsidiaries under worldway now became subs under arkbest
at that point it was decided to combine / consolidate / merge these subs along with red arrow into one unit
hence the merger application

the buyout occurred at the top {parent companies} and the merger occurred with the subs
as per the nmfa a merger of lines calls for a dovetail in the seniority application
this was upheld and enforced by the COO national committee
prior to and while addressing the COO committee abf management {young & davidson}requested an exception to the seniority application from the change of operations committee as they knew going in what the negative impact some of their employees were going to experience
and was denied
heavy negative impact occurred in areas where carolina serviced for a much longer time
here in the northeast it only affected guys with less than 4-5 yrs seniority on both sides i might add
check one of my other posts on this subject for a little more detail but this is the skinny of it
worldway ceo larry scott received a 6 mil golden parachute for engineering the deal

the merge was handled poorly by management as it was not intelligently facilitated and was simply a clusterf**k
at least in the ny nj area
there's more to this story but this should suffice for now:baby: :27: :ShakeHandsNah:

froggy you state
"Also think of the Yellwo Roadway purchase. There are still tons of RDWY guys around, RDWY equipment. They even changed the name of the company, but it was still a purchase. "

yellow corp is yellow freight's parent
roadway corp is roadway express' parent
both yellow freight and roadway express are subs
yellow corp purchased roadway corp or what they stated "merged" when the deal was announced
similar situation to ark best / worldway
any combining of the two in the future will also result in a dovetail

big steve said:
froggy you state
"Also think of the Yellwo Roadway purchase. There are still tons of RDWY guys around, RDWY equipment. They even changed the name of the company, but it was still a purchase. "

yellow corp is yellow freight's parent
roadway corp is roadway express' parent
both yellow freight and roadway express are subs
yellow corp purchased roadway corp or what they stated "merged" when the deal was announced
similar situation to ark best / worldway
any combining of the two in the future will also result in a dovetail

Just a added thought if one company or sub folds is it obligated to dovetail or endtail?

yo chicago R...

we would dovetail all the active members per the contract...

when terminals combine on the off chance that they are in different locals because they are in different towns, that's where the jurisdictional disputes will happen.....

why merge us anyway we're both making money and they are slowly making us different....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

MIKEEEEE said:
yo chicago R...

when terminals combine on the off chance that they are in different locals because they are in different towns, that's where the jurisdictional disputes will happen.....

why merge us anyway we're both making money and they are slowly making us different....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

not neccessarily
but i will get back to you on that:rolleyes1:

MIKEEEEE said:
yo chicago R...

not correct
true but more than likely if your pension is adversely affected by being forced to become represented by another local you would have a choice in which plan you would want to be a participant
this is due to the involuntary change imposed upon you
first of all merging yellow and roadway would be an enormous undertaking and very expensive at that
only portion that may probably be combined somewhere in the future would most likely be line haul as that would be the least costly and fairly easy to accomplish with the least amount of confusion..... my oppinion

if you look at the entire picture you see where yrc is heading
roadway = long haul, primarily retail accounts with some mfg accounts
yellow= long haul, primarily mfg accounts with some retail accounts
new penn = short haul, regional freight
usf companies = short haul, regional freight
these last two subs are most likely to be combined in the near future
all of which combined will give yrc a large portion with substantial coverage in both the long haul, regional and short haul markets
how's that sound mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
:bananapowerslide:

Hey Mikeeee on the dovetail situation
I would have to agree with Big Steve on this one ex. Redstar If redstar was one of the operating companies under the USF brand then why didn't they just take the men and let them dovetail into the holland system when they shut Redstar down.I believe that what came out of the ABF/Carolina deal set into motion a new way of companies buying other companies..and I think that is why you still see yellow trucks and roadway trucks now and in the future..As long as everyone is making money it will be this way....CRAZY

crazy said:
Hey Mikeeee on the dovetail situation
I would have to agree with Big Steve on this one ex. Redstar If redstar was one of the operating companies under the USF brand then why didn't they just take the men and let them dovetail into the holland system when they shut Redstar down.I believe that what came out of the ABF/Carolina deal set into motion a new way of companies buying other companies..and I think that is why you still see yellow trucks and roadway trucks now and in the future..As long as everyone is making money it will be this way....CRAZY
in the long ago past in the trucking industry things in the corporate world were a lot simpler
PIE was PIE
yellow was yellow
roadway was roadway
carolina was carolina
now all the yuppie managers started to complicate things by changing the makeup of these companies
they added more branches to the family tree so to speak
it gave them the opportunity not only to sell off pieces and make big profits but also enabled them to "spin" "unwanted" pieces off for fun and profit, examples being caliber / roadway, cnf / cf and to do so much more
it gave them the ability to manipulate the entire industry so they could redefine it in their image
in addition to the profitable aspect was a bonus whereas any newly created non-union subs would become parasites and feed off their bigger union brothers rendering their unions ineefective when it came to bargaining time
they would continue to grow until finally........
and then after a while longer the non union little brother would grow up to be bigger and badder than their union brother until the union brother fades into the sunset
hell it sounds like a fairy tale nightmare

you see, you can only have nightmares when one is asleep right!
and the IBT was fast asleep at the whell from 1973 thru today
and all the companies are living happily everafter
crap what about us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the time is now! as all of us union and non union alike actualy control our future whether we realize it or not
i know guys
hey big steve keep dreaming is what you will say:yawn: :ranting: :thumbsup:

hey crazy read my earlier post on why red star was closed
it was closed to facilitate and expedite yrc's aquisition of usf
why would yrc want redstar when they had a profitable new penn in the fold
red star would only complicate things with their work rules, unprofitability etc whereas new penn has only two non combo terminals and is extremely profitable
yes unfortunately there is i plan in action and we are just pawns so to speak

USF will be rebranded as Yellow,terminals will merge,Roadway will be spare parts to fill in the gaps,and then the whole thing will be sold to DHL.

If you move on a change of ops or merger into a dovetail, your pension follows you. You stay in the same pension, unless you quit and rehire as a newby in a different conf.

TheBigR said:
If you move on a change of ops or merger into a dovetail, your pension follows you. You stay in the same pension, unless you quit and rehire as a newby in a different conf.
but if your company shuts down even if it is part of a conglomerate {other trucking companies} before merging then you don't dovetail etc etc etc etc
perfect example is red star:Bazzoka-Cow: