Yes it's ok to be a Christian and engage in Politics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toby, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Christians that engage in politics are they Judgments or are they those persons opinions? Jesus did say we are of this world and to be a part of this world , as such we still have to participate in the day to day happenstances of the world.

Is that person passing judgment on a particular individual or is that person mentioned making a broader observation and opinion. That is important because that may not be a complete judgment all together.

Many people say that Christians can not be involved politically due to the fact that there is an element of judgment and opinion involved. That is incorrect, as I mentioned we are of this world and are stewards of this world. When you delve into scripture you can even see that the Lord says that we still have to help husband it. In doing so at times people may seem judgmental on a broad spectrum, that's the nature of politics since it involves different opinions and view points. That does not make a person less Christian or more Christian. This is something that I struggle personally in life with as you know I am very political and it may seem I am judgmental at times. That is not the case because never would I say I do not love the individual and hope for salvation and good will, but on the broader spectrum yes it is important to point out the laws broken by man and the ultimate sins committed by man.

In today's politically correct culture it has become taboo almost to point out those affronts to God. Especially on the hot button issues such as homosexuality , abortion, and such because then people say you are judgmental and as such you are committing a sin as well. That is not true because we are all disciples of Christ and it is our duty to show and spread the word of our Lord.

Many of us make the mistake to only think that God was an all loving God, he is, but at the same time he was also a strict God.

There are examples of that throughout scripture once you understand that. For example let's start in Genesis where God says that Marriage is between a man and women with Adam and Eve and again reaffirmed in Mathew by Jesus when he spoke of his fathers laws and not to break those laws. I know it is a hot button subject but bare with me because it is not hate on an individual or passing judgment on an individual. You can still love individuals and hope and pray for their salvation.

God was so displeased with his creation of man and their sins against his laws that he was wrathful many times to those who broke his laws. Examples are the great flood and Sodom and Gomorra. The later when you read the story he destroyed because of the rampant sin of homosexuality. Remember when the Angels came to rescue Lot it was a group of men attempting to break down the door because they wanted the visitors and wanted to have sex with them. Genesis 19

You can fast forward all the way to Revelation as well and you can see both Gods mercy and wrath due to immorality and sin.

When Jesus was asked before the crucifixion by his followers what he wants of them he did say to be of this world. As such to be of this world individuals do have to be involved and point out things that may offend another's view point at times.

If the person mentioned is doing something like that for example he or she is not being a bad Christian, they are being of this world. Personally like I mentioned a few times, I state my broad opinion on many subjects and yes pass judgment on many things as well, at no time do I hate upon any individual! But love and pray for their ultimate salvation.

As a Christian I am not called to bury my head in the sand and not point out wrong directions that this country and those of opposing political view points have, but the opposite I am called to points those that do harm as a whole to society. That may be taken as judgmental by some and in today's PC society where it is meant to shut down the free exchange of differing opinions it is detrimental to not do so and be engaged, otherwise we allow the slide into moral and societal decay.

We are of this world and as such have to be a part of it. It is not unchristian to do so.
    We are all sinful and no one is perfect that is a fact. It is also not hypocritical to point out other sins In society as a whole on a broader spectrum, that is not being judgmental. On the contrary it is being engaged.

Love the individual, but that does not mean you have to support the sin or circumstance or even the slide into moral decay as a whole. It is more detrimental not to be engaged and to ignore what is going on around us.

We all can have different opinions and should for that matter, but to ignore and to not be a part of this world and to be silenced only allows the dark spirit to prevail on many issues.

jimmy g likes this.
  2. pilot87

pilot87 Well-Known Member

We do live in the World...that is true.....but when I read scripture I understand that true Christians were not of the world.... I'll cite John chapter 17 verse 14.. "I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world."

That seems to me that Jesus is saying that his followers were NOT to be a part of this World.... Yes it's true that we live in this World and are subject to the circumstances of everyday life. but true Christians were not to be a part of this World...

Also in 1st John (5:19)it states that "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one" ....which would include its corrupt political system..... Why would a true Christian want to be involved with the Political System of today when it is part of a System of a World that is under the power of the "wicked one".... which would be Satan....

We do all have differing opinions on a whole array of topics....that is just part of the Human experience....but as far as being a Christian and not being a part of this corrupted Political System doesn't mean that Christians are to be "silent" either.... On the contrary, Jesus himself. set the example for Christians to follow, ...and that was to go from house to house and city to city spreading the good news of the Kingdom....Matt. 11:1 "When Jesus had finished giving instructions to his 12 disciples, he set out from there to teach and preach in their cities" moreover, Matt. 24:14 states, "this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations".....

So those scriptures do not seem to indicate that Christians were to be silent .....Rather than participating in Political "Solutions" , they were to preach and teach about the Good news of the Kingdom of God...

3. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Jesus did say He was not of this world, and yes he said to go forth and spread the gospel. He did not say for us to be silent but to show and speak of the good of his teachings. That does not mean that we are to not be engaged in what effects us in this world. The opposite really when you look at it especially today with how we see that for much of society has turned their backs on Gods Laws and the teachings that Jesus shared with us.

To turn our backs and not be involved only allows the Dark One to prevail. We see today his influence all around us. We see his influence in our leaders and the decisions that they make. Not being involved only allows for that influence to prevail and rule.

We are called upon to pray for our leaders, how many actually do? How many actually pray for those they disagree with or have strife with?

Part of discipleship is not only to teach the gospel, but also to help influence and lead. If we are not of this world and engaged in the influences and desisions made (politics) do we then allow for the darkness to prevail over the light?

jimmy g likes this.
  4. pilot87

Christians were tasked with preaching the Good news of Gods Kingdom to the entire inhabited Earth...Jesus made no mention that his followers were to "Engage" in the Political processes of the Nations..... The Word "Engage" means to carry out or participate in an activity...and involvement in Politics can consume all of ones attention or time..... It is my understanding of scripture that placing faith in Politics as the venue for the solutions that plagues Humankind while at the same time professing to be Christians and proclaiming the Gospel is trying to serve two masters at the same time.... Matt.6:24 says...."No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth...." ...It takes a lot of Wealth to be able to be "engaged" in Politics......Raising money....spending time spreading a political message takes away from what Jesus instructed his christian followers to do..which is to preach the Good news of the Kingdom..

You're correct about how today much of society has turned their backs on the teachings of Christ....no question about that.... It was prophesied in scripture how people would be during the time period referred to as the "Last Days" or the "end times"..... We can see the fulfillment of that all around us today.... That's why it's more important now than ever to preach to all the people of all the Nations about the Kingdom that Jesus promised...one that will provide that solutions that actually will benefit those that take heed........

Keep this mind about the World and being involved in it's corrupted Political affairs.. ... 1st John 2: 15,16 and 17: "Do not love either the world or the things in the world If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but the one who does the will of God remains forever."

This System of things is passing away....and that includes its political systems in place around the Globe..... Why would a Christian want to be a part of something that is "passing away"?

That is a good question.... Prophesy tells us how people would be...what the conditions would be like in the end times.....It also tells us that the "World is lying in the power of the wicked one" which we know to be Satan..... The Political Systems are part of that World.... We can not alter that...... Gods will, will take place and destroy the current system in his due time.......... "darkness" already prevails as most of the worlds people are in "darkness" as regards the Message of the Good news... The Preaching work regarding the Promises of the Kingdom is what brings light to those earnestly seeking him.. That is how the "light" of Gods Word will prevail over the current "Darkness"......

There is no salvation through Politics.... only through Jesus......

5. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

So, if arguing politics is Soooo evil..... Why are you here?

Toby likes this.
  6. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

I see no difference between the Apostle Paul going to jail for his beliefs and Kim Davis going to jail for her belief. Paul wrote letters from prison- the equivalent of emails today. He had a following, and was executed for being a political activist.

Jesus probably performed thousands of miracles we never heard about. But the ones in Scripture seem to purposefully have been in public for a reason. His producing fishes and loaves was before 5000- the equivalent of a rally on the Capitol Mall in front of cameras today.

They would be branded as political activists today. Yet all they did was point out to honor God, and not make government out to be The Provider, or False idol. When we are to spread the Word, I believe we are to use all of our talents. If that uses cameras or the internet, well, so be it...

7. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

You are correct you only get salvation through Our Lord, but that does not mean that you bury your head in the sand in the time that you are on the earth either. If you do not be engaged you allow the influence of the Dark one to prevail and that influence is prevelent more and more daily. To be good stewards we actually have to steward not to let others be the only influence to rule over us with darkness in their motives and heart. If no one of light participates and engages that is what you get.

Jimmy you are right those letters because books in the New Testament. Many do not understand it know that many books and letters were left out of the bible as well, because they were not Cannon approved by those early in the church who decided what will be included. The story of Mary Magdalin and her influence and importance is told in those lost books found in Egypt.

8. pilot87

There is a difference between expressing opinions about politics and activly participating in the process...or believing that the only hope for a better future for all of humankind hinges on the American political system...which is corrupted totally.... Im not here "arguing" politics....as if I support one brand over the other... I've always pointed out that they are all owned by big money and do not govern in the best interests of anyone except the uber wealthy and powerful... Scripture tells us about the signs of the last days..... Its tells us that when we see those things taking place we know oir deliverace is getting near....part of being awake is to pay atttention to what is happening....and that also means to pay attention to the political situations as well.....

9. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Sounds like arguing politics to me. But that's OK. Politics is our views, our Beliefs. Religion is our views, our Beliefs as well. They are the same thing, and can't be separated. That's why it's OK to be Christian and participate in Politics. Paul said leaders need to be righteous men. We don't take off our Christianity and hang it on the coatrack before going to vote, or going to work, or going out in public. It's who we are in everything. ..

10. pilot87

Kim Davis was NOT jailed for her beliefs...... No one ever told her she couldn't practice her religion...or that if she did she would be jailed because of that.... She was jailed for violating the law....which told her to do her job...or resign.... If she is the Christian she professes to be she should have resigned her office...

Furthermore.....if you choose to compare Davis to the Apostle Paul and the miracles that Jesus preformed to that of a Rally on the Capital mall....that is totally up to you....however, I respectfully and vehemently disagree....

11. pilot87

It does not mean that you bury your head in Politics either..... The scriptures in the book of Jeremiah reminds us the it "does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."... Mankind has failed to be able to Govern over others successfully.... The Worlds political systems are hoplessly corrupted.....ours is no exception.. Scripture bears out that the World is under the control of Satan....which you keep referring to as the "dark one"...
    I find it most improbable that Either Jesus or his Father would approve of being an active participant in Satans corrupted political systems.....much less doing so in their names.....
    What does the Lords prayer mean to you?....

If you feel that political involvement is fitting for a christian.....that is up to you..... I respectfully and vehemently disagree and I've cited scriptural reasons as to why.

12. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Jesus was killed because He refused to follow the law. Same as Davis. She's not the shiniest example of Christianity for Public relations, but she's living her newfound life the best she knows how. The Grace of Jesus saved her instantly. To achieve Billy Graham's grace and reverence, is probably beyond her reach.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  13. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

No different than you constantly inserting that government fails because it doesn't provide peoples needs (actually-to do so seems to go against Scripture), and that you judge corporations as all corrupt. So I repeat the question: if you believe politics had no place, why are you here? It seems to not be for presenting Christ, but only to denounce conservates..

14. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Christians, sitting out politics, allows Sharia Law to creep into our Courts. Loss of First Amendment Rights, loss of Women's Rights, etc. It will end Christianity.

Glenn Beck's Mercury One Charity is raising ten million dollars in their mission to save Christian families from ISIS. They have rescue teams in Iraq now, embedded with Kurdish Peshmerga, ,100 yards from ISIS- pulling Christian families to safety. Saving lives!

Lot stood and spoke against immorality. His family was saved, while EVERYONE who sat silently was destroyed.

Moses actively went against the Pharaoh to Let My People Go,!

Jesus and His Disciples were Political Activists. He performed miracles publicly, purposefully breaking laws as He did so.

Today's churches are splitting apart. They are afraid to teach scripture for fear of being judged. I was involved with Earlham (Quaker) College 15 years ago. Homosexuals took over the Board if Directors, declaring ,'You can't judge me'. The Friends church has split. They even now back Hammas instead of Israel. Lutherans, Presbyterians, Echumenial
    /Anglican, church of Christ, etc, they're all splitting... As is the USA.

Over the weekend, Detroit allowed a statue to Satan erected. While that night, Oklahoma took out a statue of the Ten Commandments.

Never forget the Holocaust, as Christians silently watched..

It's impossible to call ourselves Christians and not take a stand for Christianity. What would Jesus do???

15. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook