Central Transport | You are the proud owner of....

So what's the pay scale like over at ct?
What type of board do you run? Is it a bid board?
Does seniority apply ?
Any help would be great.
Got to decide my future

Guys:
CT will not blow up your wallets. Southern terminals topping out around $19/hr and northern topping our around $20.
LH is paid flat rates term to term but tops out around .40/mile.
They don't have the newest equipment but it runs and they do work on there stuff when needed.
I know drivers there say it's not the best place BUT, they are never pressured. They do there job and go home.
I know it's a great time to go over. The old man (Matty) is fading out and Matthew (his son) is making
more decisions. He wants to become a national LTL company and he has the cash to do it!!!
One thing I will say, Central is 15 years a head of Vitran on the IT side of things.
Central is totally paperless. No DRs, no check sheets, no manifest....
It's all done off your handheld (a lot nicer than verizon tablets that are crap!)

I always wondered how accurate this footage is...

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wondered how accurate this footage is...

I can't speak for CT, but WOW...I thought I was back at Vitran for a moment. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, working for PJAX/ VITRAN. Soooooooooo glad I'm on the other side now :funky:

I can tell you that when I was there seniority meant nothing. It was who was willing to do the jobs that they needed to get done. I had a linehaul run the first night I worked there and a city peddle run within 2 months of going on to the city board ahead of more senior drivers. The pay scale was bs because some drivers were paid more than others and some less and they only paid you what you were willing to make. I was making $3 more an hour than a guy who'd been there for a couple of years more while they hired in other guys at top scale. The insurance is, no joke, terrible. If it's offered, refuse it. It cost me $100 to use the insurance at Concentra and it's only $85 if I had paid cash. Go figure. There is no 401k worth mentioning because they don't match and the fees are stupid. Better to get your own Roth. There is no pension or retirement plan whatsoever. The equipment is terrible and if you break down on linehaul, there is no compensation until 2 hours broken down. Their technology is top of the line though. They dispatch all of their terminals out of Michigan. Their equipment generally sucks, but since you work at Vitran you have experienced that side of cheap freight LTL. Overtime after 55 hours. Break your trailer when you get back. Seriously. I know drivers that have gone to Saia, AAA Cooper, OD, and UPS Freight from FedEx and are very happy. I know of no happy drivers who work for the Marouns. I'm not trying to talk you out of working for them but I'd ask around. They will work you to the bone in crappy, often illegal, equipment until you're old and have no retirement to fall back on. Then they'll discard you and you'll be left to fend for yourselves into your old age. It's not a pretty picture I'm trying to paint but the guy who bought Vitran is the worst of the worst to work for. One of my best friends works for Vitran and I am sick to my stomach thinking about what just happened.

Hello i worked for Central transport for 9 yrs before I left. When i was there we was under Owner Op status as JWA then they decided that it was a bad desision and took all of us out of the impending diasaster. I was a Second in Line senior driver and saw alot good and bad. I can honestly say things have changed and not for the better .. I was paid $ 22.00 per hour do't forget 9 yrs in thats why.. They changed the payscale you start with less than guys in the past ..You will work weekends usually every other month you do a Saturday but you are paid for that.. If you have issues with tractors well everyone there does get in line... The new trucks sit still I have been told in one of the companys lots that is not used they are for show only to bring clients onboard.. There are some good LTL companies but you got to do the time to make the better companies want to bring you on board.. Want to ck on a companys complaints go to Consumer reviews and complaints @ Pissed Consumer type in the name Central Transport read what people say and ck with any company your thinking of.. Pissed Consumer can be used to check on any store company Doctor ect ect ect.. Best of luck to you Read the boards here thats a great first step to learning more input ..

Moninja...

First I love the picture. Your summary of CT is very accurate. The technology is state of the art, and years ahead of any other LTL carrier out there. The insurance is suspect at best. However, I feel that as Matthew gets more involved in the direction of the company, "the company", which includes Vitran Express, could have a bright future. Your picture of R1 brings back great memories of working for a truckline that did things the right way. I do not think that organization ever made a decision without considering how it would impact its employees and customers. Clearly the market place is different today, but I firmly believe if a carrier takes care of its customers and employees, the rest will fall into line. As a former employee of the Morouns, I have the up most respect for their business sense and what they have accomplished. However, in my humble opinion, their success, would be even greater, if they took the time to truly take care of their customers and employees, like FSG once did.

With that being said, Vitran Express, is better off today, than it was 5 days ago. It is clear that Mr. Moroun is successful in business, and plans for the future, which is evident by his investment into technology. It is a shame that Mr. Gaetz did not have the same vision.

Aiaslfdo,
Wow dude... you can NOT be serious. CT has been a bottom feeding LTL company for years. Their technology does nothing at all for the drivers. In fact CT does nothing for their drivers. Their computer stuff is the ONLY thing they keep up to date and it profits them, not drivers.

Hooya.

I have worked for all 3 carriers that I referred to above. CT is doing something right. Vitran under Gaetz's leadership was rock bottom. Technology puts freight on the truckline which a driver gets paid to haul. My point is, the foundation is there for CT to be a great company. My second point is, lets see where Matthew Moroun takes it. In my opinion, Matthew will be handed the golden baton, a corporation that is financially stable, with a solid foundation. My question is, will he follow in Matty's footsteps, or take care of the two most important people I mentioned, the employees and the customers. Vitran is in a better place my friend, and this is why. In 2000 Vitran Express was an up an coming carrier, turning a solid profit. Gaetz never reinvested in the company. He ran it into the ground in an effort to show a profit quarter after quarter, and, year after year.

If Centra, Central Transport, or, the Morouns, provide a service to the customer, and, take care of their employees, what was once Vitran Express will thrive.

Realtree, I think you missed something. The letter went out all over Vitran today that they will be integrated into CT. They aren't wasting any time either .

Aiaslfdo,
I'm not trying to insult you but I don't care where you have worked in the past and I'm not talking about Vitran.
I have worked for CT for several years just recently.
The foundation is there for ANY company to be great. CT however will NEVER build on that foundation. They chew up and spit out drivers. Matty Moroun is a billionaire!! and he won't put money into that company. Drivers are forced to drive and pull illegal equipment all over the country. I've worked at more than one terminal and recently took a trip across the states, all I've ever seen is crap for trucks and trailers.
I've tried to deliver freight to customers MANY TIMES (while working for CT) that was embarassing because of the damage.
You don't understand...CT provides crap service to their customers and no service to their drivers.
Matty makes a million dollars a month just off of his ambassador bridge and won't even hire a certified mechanic at an Activity Center... I've seen it.
I expect there will be little change for Vitran because I've seen their equipment and talked to their drivers too.