SAIA | You decide for yourself....

Charlie Brown

TB Lurker
Credits
I got laid off from Saia last Thursday. Was told due to business conditions, my position was eliminated. My position was Dock Lead-Full time. During my meeting being told I was getting laid off, I asked about part-time. I was told there are no positions. I then go to Saia website, and see that position just got posted for my terminal.

Here is some back history: We got a new young TM 6 months ago. During his first week alone, he wrote me up. Soon to be many. Some for some really lame things. Prior to that, my 3 years with last TM was write up free and even got a presidents award. I worked the inbound till about a month ago.

A month ago, new TM says he needs full timer on outbound and the part timer on inbound due to he is getting too many hours. Neither of us had worked either shift prior to that. TM says part-timer to work 6 hours a day. So as the month goes by, I look at EMC and see not only that the part timer is get more hours than me, but overtime on top of it. I struggled at first to learn outbound operations and then near end was getting to get a hold on it.

For the record, our TM is 28 and part timer is 26. I am 43. When I first started to work the OB, he was having me work with a part timer who has been doing OB for a couple of years. My TM said he wanted me to do it as that gentleman was too old to train. Now he has made similar comments to the older dock guys when I worked on the inbound. He said they was so old they was set in their ways.

One day I caught the part time lead cheating on his time and setting his times on EMC to not show he was 45 mins late. When I asked in an email to TM what would happen to someone who did this, he just wrote back "uhhhh...". I was then locked out of the EMC and could not fix times, but the part time lead was still allowed. I found this out by overhearing the TM explain to a driver who complained he got tagged with a late start, that the part timer must have forgot to fix his time.

Now to my reason I was laid off. I was laid off on May 12th. On May 6th at about 9:52pm, I was in a confrontation with a line driver because I closed his load 7 mins late. I actually closed on pup on time and got distracted with another problem and closed 2nd on 7 mins late (2 mins past TM's new 5 mins late rule). The line driver starts to get nasty and threaten me with call Atlanta. I then call TM and tell him what is going on and that is when the TM advises me of the 5 min rule. Before it was 15 mins late and I can roll time back and dispatch driver out since there is 20 mins extra allowed that driver can make up in route. Once I heard this, I told TM I am tired of his about face on everything he says when there is a problem. I then informed him I am tired of him also screwing me by putting me on a shift with minimal training and setting me up to fail. I also told him I am fed up with his favoritism with the younger dock lead. He never writes him up. My job was threatened and I told him when I come in Monday, we can call HR and see what they have to say. I did tell him I plan on going to EEOC over this all and his remarks made about older employees.

So now you decide. I have been a lead with less bills and more staffing for 3 years and now I get laid off and they post my position on Saia website.

As tough as it is...face it. This is the Corporate way around America. There is nothing you can do about the situation, mostly because Saia is not union. I'm not even sure the union could/would have helped you. But my question is why would you even consider doing anything about the problem? Would you be willing to go back to work for people who are this way and if so why? My suggestion is cut your loss and pain and focus on another job. And NO I am not management. Just another Saia casualty that now realises it was the best thing to ever happen to me as far as jobs go.

If the favoritism can be documented in some fashion or another and the age discrimination be proven, you have a case. If so, then file a complaint with the EEOC and let the chips fall where they may. If however, you haven't been documenting this, your chances of obtaining satisfaction will be lessened to a great degree. I wish you well in either case.

If the TM hasn't followed company procedures in the disciplinary process,you may well have a case as well. That's what the Appeals review committee is for. The question then becomes, do you really want to work for such a jerk who would deliberately treat someone in that fashion?

Per the EEOC, it sounds like a case. Saia's own records will prove my case and the statements of the other workers. And yes, I have been documenting this for quite some time.

Sorry to hear about losing your job. At least you saw it coming. I was fired for helping the company out. 6 years perfect service line driver. Fired over one thing that we do all the time in cases like mine that day.
Richard

I got laid off from Saia last Thursday. Was told due to business conditions, my position was eliminated. My position was Dock Lead-Full time. During my meeting being told I was getting laid off, I asked about part-time. I was told there are no positions. I then go to Saia website, and see that position just got posted for my terminal.

Here is some back history: We got a new young TM 6 months ago. During his first week alone, he wrote me up. Soon to be many. Some for some really lame things. Prior to that, my 3 years with last TM was write up free and even got a presidents award. I worked the inbound till about a month ago.

A month ago, new TM says he needs full timer on outbound and the part timer on inbound due to he is getting too many hours. Neither of us had worked either shift prior to that. TM says part-timer to work 6 hours a day. So as the month goes by, I look at EMC and see not only that the part timer is get more hours than me, but overtime on top of it. I struggled at first to learn outbound operations and then near end was getting to get a hold on it.

For the record, our TM is 28 and part timer is 26. I am 43. When I first started to work the OB, he was having me work with a part timer who has been doing OB for a couple of years. My TM said he wanted me to do it as that gentleman was too old to train. Now he has made similar comments to the older dock guys when I worked on the inbound. He said they was so old they was set in their ways.

One day I caught the part time lead cheating on his time and setting his times on EMC to not show he was 45 mins late. When I asked in an email to TM what would happen to someone who did this, he just wrote back "uhhhh...". I was then locked out of the EMC and could not fix times, but the part time lead was still allowed. I found this out by overhearing the TM explain to a driver who complained he got tagged with a late start, that the part timer must have forgot to fix his time.

Now to my reason I was laid off. I was laid off on May 12th. On May 6th at about 9:52pm, I was in a confrontation with a line driver because I closed his load 7 mins late. I actually closed on pup on time and got distracted with another problem and closed 2nd on 7 mins late (2 mins past TM's new 5 mins late rule). The line driver starts to get nasty and threaten me with call Atlanta. I then call TM and tell him what is going on and that is when the TM advises me of the 5 min rule. Before it was 15 mins late and I can roll time back and dispatch driver out since there is 20 mins extra allowed that driver can make up in route. Once I heard this, I told TM I am tired of his about face on everything he says when there is a problem. I then informed him I am tired of him also screwing me by putting me on a shift with minimal training and setting me up to fail. I also told him I am fed up with his favoritism with the younger dock lead. He never writes him up. My job was threatened and I told him when I come in Monday, we can call HR and see what they have to say. I did tell him I plan on going to EEOC over this all and his remarks made about older employees.

So now you decide. I have been a lead with less bills and more staffing for 3 years and now I get laid off and they post my position on Saia website.
Its management guys like him that make the union very appealing .

Just an innocent by-stander here Charlie Brown, but the EMC is only to be adjusted when a member of the management team is present/or Regional Manager is advised of the adjustment and verified by him when it's done..We have the same system at my company..Adjusting time on the EMC is forbidden,when not supervised by management...If not,that is in direct violation of Federal Hours and Wages Law...We are governed under ICC and DOT regulations,but, the law still applies to hourly employees...We have had several TM's and Super's fired because of altering time..That's his first mistake...

Second mistake,was on your part...For not seeing what was happening...He was going to replace you with his "buddy"...We have it happen here,as well as other companies..You should have called your Regional Manager and let him know what was going on..I'm the first to condemn a squeeler..But this cost you your job..But..I would have gone down swinging..

Good luck on your future..I hope things work out for you and your family..I hate to hear things like this...God Bless...

Leads at terminal I was at was allowed to adjust times and points,

I did see it coming. He had made several comments to other employees what he wanted and they in turn told me.

As for the regional manager, Jim B of CIN, this particular TM has a family member higher up in the food chain that protects him. How else would you go from part time dockworker to TM in 5 years and no college?

i forgot to clock out and could not dispatch one night. i asked the ob sup. to clock me out on the computer at the correct time and you would have thought i asked him to rob a bank. i guess it just depends on the person...

Goes on every night at the terminal I worked at. TM is the one who told me it was ok but I am sure if confronted his sorry butt would lie like he always does.

it's my understanding that no one is to be editing time...period. of course there are always those exceptions where it is needed as in my case.

The best thing that has ever happened to you was being released from that SO called company. With out being rude Ill call them that. I worked for them and wasted 15 years of my life with them 1.5 million miles accident free. Was 100 percent company man and then one thing went down, they jumped the gun. I was terminated. Well alot of lawyers later I was justified I was wrongly dismissed but I had the last laugh all the way to the bank. On Saia... Mangement over there will lie to you looking you straight in the face. Ive sat down and ate dinner with Rick Odell and many others. So your a number and believe me when I say this "WE CARE WE SHARE' use to be on the side of all the trucks when it got removed that place went down quickly......

Saia cares for no one. I found it a odd that when I called the main office for some info I needed, that they were unaware that there was any layoff's going on.