Yellow | You guys have me scared.

So you are saying then that the regionals would take over paying the debt off, because with the largest revenue producer getting smaller, they would not be able to pay on the interest, and principal, let alone the health and welfare...
Who do you think is paying it now? Everyone is paying their percentage of the pie, as one becomes bigger and one becomes smaller the burden shifts just like it has been all along. Are you of the belief that the regionals are not charged for any of the expenses and that is why they are profitable? We are all under one big umbrella what effects ones bottom line effects all. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but the numbers are there to read every quarter and YRC does not pull it's weight, lucky to break even.

Who do you think is paying it now? Everyone is paying their percentage of the pie, as one becomes bigger and one becomes smaller the burden shifts just like it has been all along. Are you of the belief that the regionals are not charged for any of the expenses and that is why they are profitable? We are all under one big umbrella what effects ones bottom line effects all. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but the numbers are there to read every quarter and YRC does not pull it's weight, lucky to break even.
I understand completely, 5. But what I am saying is that yrc freight produces the most gross revenue, so they are paying a big part of the expenses. The regionals are paying too, but they do not have the gross revenue that yrc does. You still need X amount of dollars a day to pay the bills.

I understand completely, 5. But what I am saying is that yrc freight produces the most gross revenue, so they are paying a big part of the expenses. The regionals are paying too, but they do not have the gross revenue that yrc does. You still need X amount of dollars a day to pay the bills.
It is approximately two to one, I am talking about flipping it two to one the other way. I am not talking next week, I am talking say four to eight years and yes I do think we will be around in eight years. I wish someone would take the time to look at the numbers from the last five years and see if what I am talking about is not already happening, I would be willing to bet a soda pop that it is!

I was working casual at both P.I.E and Roadway in early 1981. I would of gone with who ever hired me first. P.I.E stopped calling me that May, then in June of 1981 the Teamsters Union forced Roadway to put me on full time. I retired 28 years later. It's all a roll of the dice.
s-l225.jpg

Reactions: mud
I don't know if this is an original idea or not, but if I ran YRCW I would want to keep letting YRC get to be a smaller and smaller percentage of the company as a whole. All of the regionals do much better at making money so I would want to put as much of my assets in that basket as possible and let YRC which barely shows any profit at all to keep getting smaller and smaller till it was such a small percentage of the company that no one really cares if it is profitable or not....just my opinion!
That's the best idea I've heard in months, although the 26,000 current employees at YRC may not agree.
Even downsizing YRC (Yellow) by 50% means 10,000 to 13,000 YRC union employees gone. While it may be a good idea, Hoffa wouldn't like it because it would make a big dent in his monthly dues income and that's all he really cares about - the dues. The YRC people that have donated so much over the last 7 or 8 years may not like it either.
But, that being said, it may be the only way to salvage even a small part of the company.

That's the best idea I've heard in months, although the 26,000 current employees at YRC may not agree.
Even downsizing YRC (Yellow) by 50% means 10,000 to 13,000 YRC union employees gone. While it may be a good idea, Hoffa wouldn't like it because it would make a big dent in his monthly dues income and that's all he really cares about - the dues. The YRC people that have donated so much over the last 7 or 8 years may not like it either.
But, that being said, it may be the only way to salvage even a small part of the company.
The current plan certainly seems to place as much emphasis as possible on the companies pulling their weight in their respective regions. The biggest problem with YRCF is that 75% of theirs overlaps with NPME, Holland and Reddaway. Suggesting that this duplicate service overlap isn't hurting would be wrong.

YRCF's only dedicated service area is the region formerly serviced by USF Dugan. And it's a notoriously dead service area.

In my opinion, YRCF needs to be divided up between the regionals. It would be a good opportunity for the Teamsters in the West to gain a stronger hold within Reddaway, as nominally the Dugan zone would go partly to Holland and partly to Reddaway. This would increase the number of union terminals at Reddaway.

Some people would get laid off if this ever happened, it's true. But considering all four companies need drivers right now I think eliminating one would help solve the problems of the other three, resulting in limited attrition and few layoffs. Excess capacity of terminals can be purged from the system, reducing upkeep and maintenance costs. And it would help purge out the oldest equipment in all fleets, too.

Bearing in mind that I know not everyone agrees with me here, I want to stipulate that this idea focuses on the larger concept of the company's long term survival. The continued employment of all YRCW employees at current numbers is a different argument entirely.

The current plan certainly seems to place as much emphasis as possible on the companies pulling their weight in their respective regions. The biggest problem with YRCF is that 75% of theirs overlaps with NPME, Holland and Reddaway. Suggesting that this duplicate service overlap isn't hurting would be wrong.

YRCF's only dedicated service area is the region formerly serviced by USF Dugan. And it's a notoriously dead service area.

In my opinion, YRCF needs to be divided up between the regionals. It would be a good opportunity for the Teamsters in the West to gain a stronger hold within Reddaway, as nominally the Dugan zone would go partly to Holland and partly to Reddaway. This would increase the number of union terminals at Reddaway.

Some people would get laid off if this ever happened, it's true. But considering all four companies need drivers right now I think eliminating one would help solve the problems of the other three, resulting in limited attrition and few layoffs. Excess capacity of terminals can be purged from the system, reducing upkeep and maintenance costs. And it would help purge out the oldest equipment in all fleets, too.

Bearing in mind that I know not everyone agrees with me here, I want to stipulate that this idea focuses on the larger concept of the company's long term survival. The continued employment of all YRCW employees at current numbers is a different argument entirely.
I like it. Now the problem is how do we get the "idiot in charge" to implement it.?
I've found that no matter how good of an idea any of the "minions" under them come up with to make the company more money (or in this case possibly save the company) they will not do it because THEY want to be in charge.
If THEY are not the one to float any idea, they will not consider it.
Most companies, especially mega companies, are like small dictatorships, with the CEO being the Dictator. They feel using a suggestion from the common class employees would diminish their reputation and power as the all powerful and supremely intelligent leader.
They are not about to say, "Great idea." "Why didn't I think of that?" 'Let's try it".
The trick is to somehow make it look like THEY are the ones that first thought of YOUR good idea. Then it may be implemented.

I like it. Now the problem is how do we get the "idiot in charge" to implement it.?
I've found that no matter how good of an idea any of the "minions" under them come up with to make the company more money (or in this case possibly save the company) they will not do it because THEY want to be in charge.
If THEY are not the one to float any idea, they will not consider it.
Most companies, especially mega companies, are like small dictatorships, with the CEO being the Dictator. They feel using a suggestion from the common class employees would diminish their reputation and power as the all powerful and supremely intelligent leader.
They are not about to say, "Great idea." "Why didn't I think of that?" 'Let's try it".
The trick is to somehow make it look like THEY are the ones that first thought of YOUR good idea. Then it may be implemented.
I suggest nothing to these people!
Anyone on this board remember 94 now at Roadway. That whole program was set up to increase efficiency, and cut labor costs. Let them run their own business, and call all the shots. I would't want to be responsible for ANY of my Teamster brothers or sisters to lose their gigs.
I remember a couple years back, we had an a## of an ATM who was always asking how come we never went to him with ideas. My reply "because you'd use that against us, and layoff workers. Why would I do that?"
Last time he ever asked.
This company is run the same as the government. To much bureaucracy, and red tape. They don't want to be told how to do things.

Hey, Just checking In.. I have a longer more in depth thread on "Another website" Anyways, Everything is going well thus far.. Trainer is great. They made me go to Maybrook NY instead of 135. But, again other then that things are good and from my opinion and what the trainer has told me. I'm a natural and have picked it up pretty quickly. I'm enjoying the entire process a lot.

Hey, Just checking In.. I have a longer more in depth thread on "Another website" Anyways, Everything is going well thus far.. Trainer is great. They made me go to Maybrook NY instead of 135. But, again other then that things are good and from my opinion and what the trainer has told me. I'm a natural and have picked it up pretty quickly. I'm enjoying the entire process a lot.

Excellent, congratulations.

Sounds like how it went for me when I started with Roadway as a casual in 1981. I was happy just to have a job.

Sounds like how it went for me when I started with Roadway as a casual in 1981. I was happy just to have a job.
That ain't no ::shit::. And a good one to boot back then! 86 for me. It was a good feeling.
Won't say what it is now. But congratulations. All good if you are.

Another quick follow up, Taking my test CDL test tomorrow. Everything went super smooth my trainer was great. Sucked I could have taken my CDL test after two weeks and passed (according to my trainer) and I had to go an extra two weeks with out pay. But, that's okay. Excited to get the show on the road. Thanks guys for everything thus far.

Oh, also.. Worried because I start on Extra board but I live just under two hours away from 135.. This should be interesting.. I may just rent a room up there month to month.

Another quick follow up, Taking my test CDL test tomorrow. Everything went super smooth my trainer was great. Sucked I could have taken my CDL test after two weeks and passed (according to my trainer) and I had to go an extra two weeks with out pay. But, that's okay. Excited to get the show on the road. Thanks guys for everything thus far.

Oh, also.. Worried because I start on Extra board but I live just under two hours away from 135.. This should be interesting.. I may just rent a room up there month to month.
Do you have to pay YRC for your training if you decide to resign within your first year? I was just curious. Most carriers have that in their agreement with people in your situation.

My advice is stick with it. I started in this industry in 1996 with M.S. Carriers. Compared to that this is a nice job. The griping you see here is because this use to be a lot better job than it is today. Many of us here remember the "good times" and want it to return but compared to a truck load carrier job this has a lot going for it. Some are willing to fight for it some just want to complain. Maybe in 2019 we'll get most of it back. If not by then you'll have enough experience by then to to get that good LTL job you want and deserve. Maybe I will too.
:clapping:

Last edited:
Anyone know if 135 has a bunk house? I passed my CDL just still waiting to start. Holiday weekend has not helped.
I live two hours away and id rather not pay $500 a month to live up there and id also rather not be sitting by my phone trying to rush up there within the 2 hour window when i live so far.

Anyone know if 135 has a bunk house? I passed my CDL just still waiting to start. Holiday weekend has not helped.
I live two hours away and id rather not pay $500 a month to live up there and id also rather not be sitting by my phone trying to rush up there within the 2 hour window when i live so far.
When it was Roadway, Albuquerque would allow us to stay at the motel where the foreign line haul drivers stayed, at Roadway's rate which you had to pay the motel. I worked in the city, and commuted 55 miles to work. I took advantage of this many times.
Just make sure you have permission to do this.

Last edited: