FedEx Freight | You guys think you have it rough?

Look on the Bright Side if you end up on a CGX shuttle bid working the dock, the bathroom on the dock down by 126 door has an electric hand dryer - it will come in handy this winter it is an old dump. and the downstairs crapper is quiet. Good for sleeping.

It's no different than when fedex west was absorbed by the fedex east. Our corporate offices in Santa Clara were closed. Line haul in Tucson Az was shut down, and we entered the dark ages.

Amen to that! "Why are we doing this crap? That's how the east does it!"

Our regional guy told us that we our a year from making a profit and that nothing else has worked and this is the last ditch effort. After the year if we aren't making a profit Fed Ex would have no problem closing us or selling us, and that we will make a profit or it could be bad news for all. This came from above him. So its in everybody's best interest to get along and do the best job they can. Getting along is all they want neither side is happy about this but it's none of our faults.

Why would a regional guy say something like that to the grunts?

We've been telling them for years why we aren't making a profit. It's due to their dumb assed ideas on how to run a freight company. They simply don't know how to, and if what you were told is true, they have no one but themselves to blame. They can't blame us because we are just doing what they told us to do, and destroyed the morale to boot! They can still fix it, but they won't because they pathologically cannot admit they were wrong about anything.

Our regional guy told us that we our a year from making a profit and that nothing else has worked and this is the last ditch effort. After the year if we aren't making a profit Fed Ex would have no problem closing us or selling us, and that we will make a profit or it could be bad news for all. This came from above him. So its in everybody's best interest to get along and do the best job they can. Getting along is all they want neither side is happy about this but it's none of our faults.

well when it was viking/fedex west we made money. the powers to be got away from the customers thoughts and went with the we r fedex attatude everybody will ship on us. its their way or no way. that is the big reason we r here in this position. imo. could be wrong but the finger needs to be pointed at the top for dumb ideas and not thinking it threw.

When we were American Freightways, we made money year after year. I also worked for Spartan Express, and our west partner Viking Freight was the money making division that kept that fiasco alive. And I don't know that much about Wakins history, but when I started driving back in the mid 80's they were around then, so they must have been making money to be in business for as long as they were. So WHAT has changed? Upper Management ! Maybe they need to "get the big picture"....

When we were American Freightways, we made money year after year. I also worked for Spartan Express, and our west partner Viking Freight was the money making division that kept that fiasco alive. And I don't know that much about Wakins history, but when I started driving back in the mid 80's they were around then, so they must have been making money to be in business for as long as they were. So WHAT has changed? Upper Management ! Maybe they need to "get the big picture"....
Yes dog we were at a billion yes I said billion dollar a year income and was making money. The Watkins brothers where bragging on that one. Then FedEx bought us and dismantled it and we are were we are today.But in retrospect I have never worked for a third generation owned company for very long. I new they would sell soon as John Watkins turned it over to them.

well there u have it. Proof that we all made money tell freddy fedex put a bunch of bean counters in charge of something they have no idea about.:regretful:

Its almost as if the company was learning how to be a trucking outfit all over again.Take a billion dollar company and run it into the ground. I wonder if the major stock holders know whats been done. They should have taken Watkins(national ltl) threw a few bucks at it and let it work. What could have been. If I were king there would be some heads rolling at corporate HQ.

When I started in 2004 we could move freight like it was nothing. Every time a freight executive got fired they replaced them with a express person who knows nothing about moving freight,equipment.if UPS wasn't I'm ltl fed ex would have left by now and it works the other way around. The sock holders have no clue and if they did they can't do much at the meeting because most don't have a big enough share and most vote by proxy. Everything about this company a catch 22. I have family that started when Fred started the company they retired early because they didn't like the way the company was heading and can't believe how thing are now

are management in cincy are only policy pushers,matter of fact they will enforce a policy quicker than order stuff, find out an answer,do any thing for the driver.I don't know if that is fedex way of operation or just are chicken crap managements way.if it's the latter I hope you guys in columbus put a stop to it because the 2worst are going to clm.my opinion is if your title is manager you should manage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same opinion about Bill P. in Cincinnati National. Policy pusher, doesn't know what he's doing half the time. I'm so aggravated with him right now, I could just spit.

I'm a Freight driver and I welcome the National guys. National has taken the worst of this. I'm actually out on short term disability dealing with a rare form of cancer, when I do return. I should return the 1st of Feb. and I'll have no problem with the National guys.

are management in cincy are only policy pushers,matter of fact they will enforce a policy quicker than order stuff, find out an answer,do any thing for the driver.I don't know if that is fedex way of operation or just are chicken crap managements way.if it's the latter I hope you guys in columbus put a stop to it because the 2worst are going to clm.my opinion is if your title is manager you should manage.

Mr. Breeze: Think you will be pleasantly surprised when you arrive at IND. Road dispatch knows that all drivers want to show up at the window, get their hooks, and depart (usually by their show time). (at least that was the way I left it, and Rob S. picked up the torch where I dropped it).

Remember that a lot of those stock holders work for the company as grunts. They DO care and the DO know what is going on. However, they can't do anything about is because they are not members of the board. In Germany, hourly workers are represented on the board and they have a vote. They are listened to. That's one reason Germany is doing so well recovering their economy. They take the best ideas and just do them.

Not like here where the only interest is the money interest and they quickly lose sight of the fact that when their employees are constantly pissed, they lose more money than they make. So, they are surprised when they aren't making a profit! It's been said a million times, happy employees = profit. They just don't seem to equipped to understand that simple fact. I just do not understand their mind set. They would rather punish than reward. One, because it's a lot cheaper, and two, they don't understand that rewards in front of others go a long way to uplifting morale.

But they don't care about that either. You can't quantify morale. You can't make a spreadsheet for it. Some young punk fresh out of college trying to justify his/her job has never heard of it and can't conceive of it. And the ones in upper management seem to bear some sort of grudge against the work force, and now they have the power and means to punish us. I think they get off on it. I know in the old days our SCM got off on confrontation. That's the mind set that will destroy us.

Since when did Germany's economy start recovering well? From what I've seen on the news they are where we are heading if we don't change course quickly. Other than that I agree with what you said.

thats what I can't understand if your drivers can't get answers and are leaveing there domicils aggrevated form the lack of a responce from your management and the complaint goes futher up the ranks of command.more times than not how do they think you are going to get the best out of your employees.the managers I have been under who was intentive to my concerns and complaint made me fill that I was apart of an operation for the better.all it take is an effort not a resolve to make a man fill that he is apart of the company not just an employee.I am coming up to indy with optimisum that the management are part of a team instead of eletist,at 53 you do have a little insight on human nature.