XPO | You tell me which is better

If you had read this thread this was posted Number #12. So before you jump into a thread I hope you read them a little so here it is for you with out going back to #12.:nut_kick:
I was laid off after 19 plus years at DHL/Airborne express. The Union didn't lay me off but when a company lays off 2500 drivers from 10 different station and shuts them down there really not much they can do. This was just my Local 295 in NY,now in Wilmington Ohio they shut down a whole town and most of them where not Teamsters. So go ahead say it was the Unions but you better read up on it first, it was all over the news pal. DHL is the company that tried to take on UPS & Fed-Ex and through mismanagement, they underbid and over spent to the tune of 5 billion a year loss for 5 years or better. In my opinion.Wait a minute, yea that's it the Unions caused it. But wait it get even better they are getting back into the package delivery services be it may they are going at it in smaller steps now. But yea the Unions caused it. Do some home work and a little research to get your facts right.

I did read the entire thread. I knew the details when I made that post. JUst because you worked for one company that failed, doesn't mean you have to contribute to the failure of this company. This job is just fine for most of us.

I did read the entire thread. I knew the details when I made that post. JUst because you worked for one company that failed, doesn't mean you have to contribute to the failure of this company. This job is just fine for most of us.
Let me tell you we all worked hard at my last company and see where it got us. Do nothing and you will contribute nothing, so as long as its fine for you. This job could a lot better for the rest of us and at least I have the right to go ahead with it, right along with you who is just fine with the company taking from you.

Let me tell you we all worked hard at my last company and see where it got us. Do nothing and you will contribute nothing, so as long as its fine for you. This job could a lot better for the rest of us and at least I have the right to go ahead with it, right along with you who is just fine with the company taking from you.

I work in the South and everything is fine for me. I wished you could've kept that job forever. Instead of working at Conway, why don't you apply at YRC, ABF, or UPSF? They're already union companies and you wouldn't have to mess with this..

I work in the South and everything is fine for me. I wished you could've kept that job forever. Instead of working at Conway, why don't you apply at YRC, ABF, or UPSF? They're already union companies and you wouldn't have to mess with this..
NAH BEERFD if we all went to work at YRC or ABF then we wouldn't have the distinct pleasure of reading all your post's

You tell me which is better- At Con-way I get PTO days that have to be earned, benefits are a joke it cost me $60.00 a week just so I can have a co-pay & that's $2.00 plus for Dental and vision added on - that's just for myself and my wife, cost more to add the kids. Respect is nonexistent and no representation if anything happens my fault or not. The holidays are the same just about any where so no biggie on that. Get no sick days- use PTO days. They change shifts any time they want even with the new rules they put out. Don't have any runs go home don't care that you have bills. At Con-way they want you available for 24 hours a day but don't have anything stay home.

With the Teamsters I had representation, I had Respect, for $66.00 a month I had full family benefits- Med,Dental & Vision for only a $20.00 co-pay. I also had 1 to 4 weeks vacation depending on length of service, 11 sick days plus the holidays. Set bids that where changed once or twice a year and I knew when and how much of a raise I would get each year.

Keep your BBQs and the Monday donuts. If they don't want the unions in then start treating us the way they say they do, starting with Respect.

The Teamsters didn't look out for just one they looked out for every one.

Right on, Past Teamster! You just said it all right there!! I'm a 'past Teamster' as well, and you hit the nail on the head. My best to you Teamster Brother!!

Right on, Past Teamster! You just said it all right there!! I'm a 'past Teamster' as well, and you hit the nail on the head. My best to you Teamster Brother!!

that scares the hell out of me we have a lot of past teamsters and a couple of current teamsters at xco yes i have lost a lot since coming here but i still pull in 70+ each year if i side with the union will i end up in the pastteamster club with you guy's in two years or less

that scares the hell out of me we have a lot of past teamsters and a couple of current teamsters at xco yes i have lost a lot since coming here but i still pull in 70+ each year if i side with the union will i end up in the pastteamster club with you guy's in two years or less

Cool spin, bro!

As the thread says you "Tell me which is better" Ok its fine for you, So tell us all why! When I started to research Con-way this was the company to work for not YRC,ABF or UPSF. Trust me I did not choose to leave my last job, if could I would have stayed. I was told how great Con-way was, so far they have not lived up to what I was told. Like I have said before if they don't want the Unions in start treating the employees with respect and not having a blanket your at fault mentality. Your the one its fine for so start making sure its fine for the rest of us who see a problem. Go ahead change my mind if you can. You haven't given any reasons so far.

Your another one its all about you, as long as your making yours. But what about the rest of the DSR's through out Con-way? Should we just let them take more and more. It's not Management that makes this company great, it's the hard working employees that are out there every day face to face with our customers. Go ahead give us all a reason why Con-way is so great?

SC that is a bad example to use. non unions don't have a greivance procedure. If you knew as much as you say you would hear the rumblings at non union companies. They are just afraid to speak their minds to mgmt because of retaliation.

The point I was attempting to make is that if you could compare the number of grievances heard per 1000/man hours across several locals you would likely find that some union carriers/docks are probably a better place to work than others.

15 different LTL carriers in 25 years? Wow.

Apparently I need to change my approach when posting here as I am not very effective at making my point. I was specifically asked about my LTL experience. I stated "...been on at least 60 docks for over 15 LTL carriers" I never said I was employed by 15 different LTL carriers. I was employed for 12 years by an LTL carrier, starting on the dock working my way up to a Freight Claims Manager. I then went to work for a company that provides services to several LTL carriers at the same time. Thus at least 15 different LTL carriers. Been in this business for 25 years.

How many of your "25 years in this business" have been behind the wheel of a truck or dragging a heavy ass pallet around with a pallet jack?

As the thread says you "Tell me which is better" Ok its fine for you, So tell us all why! When I started to research Con-way this was the company to work for not YRC,ABF or UPSF. Trust me I did not choose to leave my last job, if could I would have stayed. I was told how great Con-way was, so far they have not lived up to what I was told. Like I have said before if they don't want the Unions in start treating the employees with respect and not having a blanket your at fault mentality. Your the one its fine for so start making sure its fine for the rest of us who see a problem. Go ahead change my mind if you can. You haven't given any reasons so far.
all he cares about is himself,imagine if the baseball and football players only cared about themselves,remember beerboy,they used to work 2 jobs a year,and although i think they're overpaid now,apparently you'd rather be underpaid than over,go figure,you get a big fat check and have seniority,screw everybody else!!i'm lookin out for EVERYBODY,and like i've said,never thought i'd ever want a union,they USED to treat us right,now it's ,take take take take,there is only 2 answers,totally new management and board of directors(which ain't gonna happen) or TEAMSTERS,sad it came to this,but they have had YEARS to fix this ,and our blind trust in them is now gone,it's over,face it,union is the only option left,SIGN THE CARDS BOYS!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was laid off after 19 plus years at DHL/Airborne express. The Union didn't lay me off but when a company lays off 2500 drivers from 10 different station and shuts them down there really not much they can do. This was just my Local 295 in NY,now in Wilmington Ohio they shut down a whole town and most of them where not Teamsters. So go ahead say it was the Unions but you better read up on it first, it was all over the news pal. DHL is the company that tried to take on UPS & Fed-Ex and through mismanagement, they underbid and over spent to the tune of 5 billion a year loss for 5 years or better. In my opinion.Wait a minute, yea that's it the Unions caused it. But wait it get even better they are getting back into the package delivery services be it may they are going at it in smaller steps now. But yea the Unions caused it. Do some home work and a little research to get your facts right.
Ok, so why didn't you go to another happy unionized carrier? For you to come to Con-way and complain about the company is like ordering a hamburger off the menu and then complaining it looks exactly like the picture on the menu.

If the hamburger I have differs from the picture they showed me, would that be false advertising? And what is my recourse after investing MANY years in that hamburger?

Ok, so why didn't you go to another happy unionized carrier? For you to come to Con-way and complain about the company is like ordering a hamburger off the menu and then complaining it looks exactly like the picture on the menu.
except they sold us a t-bone,with a nice pension,great medical,sick time,pto's,earned vacation,union scale wage,now we're down to a burger bite,WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of your "25 years in this business" have been behind the wheel of a truck or dragging a heavy ass pallet around with a pallet jack?

Not sure what that has to do with it since there are several components in the Rube Goldberg device known as your typical LTL carrier. Knowing one aspect of the business 100% while being completely ignorant of another isn't necessarily desirable. You don't want a P&D driver, who has very little knowledge of the NMFC or the first time they ever even hear of the Carmack Amendment is right here deciding your claims. You dont want a dispatcher that has never driven a truck. Do you want a dock supervisor that never had to break a trailer full of handstack in his life? While it all starts behind the wheel or on the dock...there is a bunch going on elsewhere.

However, to answer your question; 3 years into my career I signed my withdrawal card and went to the dark side. I decided that utilizing my other assets would likely get me further in this game. I still handled a pallet jack once in awhile. (Old school, did what we needed to do to get the job done, keep the customer happy) Working my way up the ladder I eventually found myself stuck behind a desk 50+ hours a week with very little interaction with positive people. I wasn't happy, missed freezing/sweating my ass off on the dock once in awhile. I also missed being outdoors and interacting with people in a positive way. Didn't like playing monkey in the middle with the sales VP’s lobbying to get a claim paid (that shouldn't have been) and operations VP’s on the other side pressuring for a declination on claims that should be paid. A freight claims inspector and packaging analyst is a very nice balance. I get to enjoy being outdoors. I still get to break a sweat once in awhile. I still have to imitate a mole rat once in awhile to get at some freight. If I can help a shipper solve a packaging problem all the better. If I can help a carrier identify a packaging issue before they start hauling the freight, it’s good to know I just saved them a bunch of money and headache. Yet, just as I am starting to get too cold or sweaty I get to stop and push a pencil for a bit. Just as my hand starts to cramp I get to break a sweat again. It's a nice balance...don't go home with a backache; don't go home with a headache ;).

Your just like beerfd you don't read the thread and dont have a clue. Yea I came knowing that I woud get treated as just a truck driver whos replacebale. Read the whole thread not just the parts you thik will get some kind of comeback. I have given a answer to this.:coffee1: