XPO | Younger ex-Conway employee

TruckinGamer

TB Lurker
Credits
I tried to keep this in the middle, not excessive praise or attack, just my honest observation. I hope it offers some insight for others interested:

For starters, this was the only decent company that offered local work to this CDL driver that only had a few months experience. I believe their policy has since changed, but nonetheless I have to appreciate this aspect otherwise I would have been working at a trucking company that only paid $9 an hour for local work, with trucks that were hardly maintained.

At first, working for Conway was complete shell shock. I went from working 8-9 hours per day, to 14 hours every night, 16 on Fridays of course. I almost quit because I just wasn't getting much sleep, but this company never seemed to care too much because as long as I was legal to drive, they felt I was safe. I still don't understand how this company has been awarded so many safe driving awards, I've never had an FOS seem to care about any driver's concerns when they are tired. The basic attitude is "hey, if you can't do it, go somewhere else". Well, when your options is a company paying almost double of any other company that will hire you, and excellent benefits, what options do you really have other than try not to fall asleep while driving and kill anybody?

Anyway, I was lucky enough to be hired before a group of students got their licenses, this shot me up in seniority very quickly so after a few months I was only running on Fridays, I still hated dock work, but hey, it's good money, right? Speed up a few years, I become more familiar with the company and get some good bids. Things seem to be much much better than the long tired nights from before. At this point I start feeling like this is my company, because I have a better overall picture of what is going on. For some, I can understand why they would love this company.

Some of the things that really ticked me off were, well, the fact that there seem to be an over abundance of managers. Most of the time the only thing I would see an FOS doing is standing around, as if their feet are holding the concrete dock from flying away. Occasionally they would be helpful for lesser experienced loaders on how to properly load a trailer, however, most of the time these FOS's had no dock experience themself so instead they would just scream at someone when the load doesn't look the way it should. It was rare they would actually be of any real use on the loading docks! I think my biggest complaint is that everytime we seemed to get a great manager, they would leave to another service center, or other company. Some of my favorite managers lasted just a few months, while the annoying idiots never left. I really was annoyed at how few managers were previous drivers, it seems they would rather hire someone out of college taught from a book how to be a manager, rather than someone within the company that might actually know how to get the job done, and not be a condescending a-hole at the same time!

The final blow for me was after my years of honest service having a few managers treat me as if I didn't know anything about the company or the customers, or even worse, act as if I didn't care! I had multiple customers request me as their driver, so I know I was doing something right, but management never seemed to notice. Maybe this happened because I'm not a suck-up, a lot of the management love those types of people, but it's just not me. I'll suck up to the customer, but that's it.

I think what I liked most were the other drivers. There was always a great attitude from most drivers regardless if they were a 30 year vet, or a brand new recruit. It is just unfortunate that attitude rarely seemed to go up into management, I have a feeling there is a much more negative attitude coming from higher up that kills any positive attitudes any management might have.

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to what you want from a company. If you don't mind the constant condescending attitudes and lack of respect for your good honest work from management, you probably wouldn't have anything bad to say. But for me, I just want more, a little respect is all I ask. To be treated like a human, not a cyborg robot that only gets sick 5 times a year and can work for 72 hours a week with no problems. Sorry, I guess I'm just a little too human for this company, or perhaps, any trucking company?

I tried to keep this in the middle, not excessive praise or attack, just my honest observation. I hope it offers some insight for others interested:

For starters, this was the only decent company that offered local work to this CDL driver that only had a few months experience. I believe their policy has since changed, but nonetheless I have to appreciate this aspect otherwise I would have been working at a trucking company that only paid $9 an hour for local work, with trucks that were hardly maintained.

At first, working for Conway was complete shell shock. I went from working 8-9 hours per day, to 14 hours every night, 16 on Fridays of course. I almost quit because I just wasn't getting much sleep, but this company never seemed to care too much because as long as I was legal to drive, they felt I was safe. I still don't understand how this company has been awarded so many safe driving awards, I've never had an FOS seem to care about any driver's concerns when they are tired. The basic attitude is "hey, if you can't do it, go somewhere else". Well, when your options is a company paying almost double of any other company that will hire you, and excellent benefits, what options do you really have other than try not to fall asleep while driving and kill anybody?

Anyway, I was lucky enough to be hired before a group of students got their licenses, this shot me up in seniority very quickly so after a few months I was only running on Fridays, I still hated dock work, but hey, it's good money, right? Speed up a few years, I become more familiar with the company and get some good bids. Things seem to be much much better than the long tired nights from before. At this point I start feeling like this is my company, because I have a better overall picture of what is going on. For some, I can understand why they would love this company.

Some of the things that really ticked me off were, well, the fact that there seem to be an over abundance of managers. Most of the time the only thing I would see an FOS doing is standing around, as if their feet are holding the concrete dock from flying away. Occasionally they would be helpful for lesser experienced loaders on how to properly load a trailer, however, most of the time these FOS's had no dock experience themself so instead they would just scream at someone when the load doesn't look the way it should. It was rare they would actually be of any real use on the loading docks! I think my biggest complaint is that everytime we seemed to get a great manager, they would leave to another service center, or other company. Some of my favorite managers lasted just a few months, while the annoying idiots never left. I really was annoyed at how few managers were previous drivers, it seems they would rather hire someone out of college taught from a book how to be a manager, rather than someone within the company that might actually know how to get the job done, and not be a condescending a-hole at the same time!

The final blow for me was after my years of honest service having a few managers treat me as if I didn't know anything about the company or the customers, or even worse, act as if I didn't care! I had multiple customers request me as their driver, so I know I was doing something right, but management never seemed to notice. Maybe this happened because I'm not a suck-up, a lot of the management love those types of people, but it's just not me. I'll suck up to the customer, but that's it.

I think what I liked most were the other drivers. There was always a great attitude from most drivers regardless if they were a 30 year vet, or a brand new recruit. It is just unfortunate that attitude rarely seemed to go up into management, I have a feeling there is a much more negative attitude coming from higher up that kills any positive attitudes any management might have.

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to what you want from a company. If you don't mind the constant condescending attitudes and lack of respect for your good honest work from management, you probably wouldn't have anything bad to say. But for me, I just want more, a little respect is all I ask. To be treated like a human, not a cyborg robot that only gets sick 5 times a year and can work for 72 hours a week with no problems. Sorry, I guess I'm just a little too human for this company, or perhaps, any trucking company?

Your right, it's what you want from a company. And if you get tired driving then, no, you don't need to be driving a truck. So, I guess you quit and went to the $9 job or did you get fired?:chairshot:

Great Post.

You just summed up my experience at URE from 12-2005 to 1-2008 perfectly. It was the clueless holier than thou A-hole of a FOM who pushed me to the point of quiting.

The only difference for me as I got my CDL in house rather than from the puppy mill.

I learned a lot from a bunch of great drivers. I still tell people that dock to driver at Con-Way or FedEx is the best place to start a driving career.

Most of the managers at CWF don't have a college degree. Most people with degrees have options and won't put up with the long & odd hours and stress of being a white shirt. Given that its a pay CUT for a driver to put on a white shirt its not surprising that many are clueless. I recall when I went to Orientation at Buena Park in Spring of 2007 and I realized that only one person amongst the 12 or so that ran CWX had ever been behind the wheel of a truck.

CWF has a very suck-up, group think, don't rock the boat corporate culture. I've seen clueless people who have awful job performance promoted repeatably on the strength of the kiss up skills.

So where did you land job wise after CWF?

There are a lot of us "ex-Cons" out there.

I'm much happier at my current gig with YRC Logistics. Hours are more reasonable, equipment is 300% better and my supervisor asks nicely when they need me to work OT. It was a bit of a pay cut, I make $.60 less than a starting DSR.

Just one point on your post. Why do you work 72 hours a week? If you don't feel comfortable putting in a ridiculous amount of hours, then log your time exactly how it is performed. Don't wait for the :08 to punch in and the :22 to punch out. Don't log an hour of breaks on your driving time when you didn't really take them. I completely understand guys that do these things. It significantly increases your paycheck. If you simply log your time accurately and legally, you will never work more than 60 hours a week. It won't happen, but imagine the change if everyone logged accurately.

Just one point on your post. Why do you work 72 hours a week? If you don't feel comfortable putting in a ridiculous amount of hours, then log your time exactly how it is performed. Don't wait for the :08 to punch in and the :22 to punch out. Don't log an hour of breaks on your driving time when you didn't really take them. I completely understand guys that do these things. It significantly increases your paycheck. If you simply log your time accurately and legally, you will never work more than 60 hours a week. It won't happen, but imagine the change if everyone logged accurately.

Wont even work over 60 hours?? I routinely logged over 60 hours when I was a new guy...and that was 100% legal log...averaged about 63-64 hours per week.

I understand and best of luck to you. I take very detailed and accurate notes including qoutes of my daily tour at Con-Way (old habit) One day i might share them hear. Right now i try and focus on the positive.

Maybe this happened because I'm not a suck-up, a lot of the management love those types of people, but it's just not me. I'll suck up to the customer, but that's it.

That makes me sick just thinking about it. It happens everwhere and always makes me think how can they live knowing how much dried up poop is on their chin's? :spam1:

Be a man and working hard is all one should ever have to do while working. He is so right about having management showing friendship over common acts of a normal workplace. I've seen :butt kiss: get runs and things that other's seniority was walked over like it's nothing. If you complain you would be labeled and then they really try and burn you. That's the conway way and it's worse than anyplace I've seen. When you hear about it and see it on linehaul (really hear about it on linehaul) it definately gives you a different opinion on conways employee friendly ways. It's bad enough we dont have a rules handbook like everyone else.

there is nothing positive about conway you guys get no respect at all from your managers or anyone else you guys ruined this Industry

Maybe this happened because I'm not a suck-up, a lot of the management love those types of people, but it's just not me. I'll suck up to the customer, but that's it.

That makes me sick just thinking about it. It happens everwhere and always makes me think how can they live knowing how much dried up poop is on their chin's? :spam1:

Be a man and working hard is all one should ever have to do while working. He is so right about having management showing friendship over common acts of a normal workplace. I've seen :butt kiss: get runs and things that other's seniority was walked over like it's nothing. If you complain you would be labeled and then they really try and burn you. That's the conway way and it's worse than anyplace I've seen. When you hear about it and see it on linehaul (really hear about it on linehaul) it definately gives you a different opinion on conways employee friendly ways. It's bad enough we dont have a rules handbook like everyone else.

They like the :butt kiss: because they (managers) used to lose their lunch money all the way through school...some even lost it while in college...now they are in "power"...and it builds their ever fragile egos up when they think someone likes them...it is a classic identity/loser crisis...

Conway hires them as they are generally pushovers...the ones who are not pushovers, but true leaders/managers dont last and end up leaving...why? because the managers above the lunch money losers we have also lost their lunch money...i mean, look at them...look at Dave M...he has loser written all over his chubby cheeks...John L..well we wont say anything about that...

Actions will always outweigh words...in all walks of life (conway "cultural" phrase coming) "walk the talk"...keep that dream alive boys and girls...

They like the :butt kiss: because they (managers) used to lose their lunch money all the way through school...some even lost it while in college...now they are in "power"...and it builds their ever fragile egos up when they think someone likes them...it is a classic identity/loser crisis...

Conway hires them as they are generally pushovers...the ones who are not pushovers, but true leaders/managers dont last and end up leaving...why? because the managers above the lunch money losers we have also lost their lunch money...i mean, look at them...look at Dave M...he has loser written all over his chubby cheeks...John L..well we wont say anything about that...

great ANALogy Dave Mc :last fit that bill also

I always logged my hours as honestly and accurately as I could, 14 hours a day x 5 days in a week, plus the 2 hour extension on Friday which they forced us to use = 72 hours per week. They stopped forcing the 2 hour extension because apparently that is illegal, but when you're new to driving in general you would assume it is legal when every service center at a massive company like this typically does this practice, even though it never made a lot of sense to me. If some company did that to me now I would just simply tell them no I won't and go ahead and write me up if they want to, because at the end of the week after working 14 hours a day (mostly dock time), you are exhausted. Unless of course you are one of those fat :butt kiss: that always have a forklift, but 99% of the time I was using a pallet jack. It never made sense to even have pallet jacks, they just slow everything down and get in the way of others. But that's how a lot of FOS's run their ship.

Your right, it's what you want from a company. And if you get tired driving then, no, you don't need to be driving a truck.

Have you ever worked for Conway? It's not just driving time, it's mostly dock time and for new drivers you are lucky to get a forklift. Have you ever had to work at the Blythe location and had to pull heavy pallets all up and down their hot 120+ door dock for 4 hours in 100+ degree heat with forklift exhaust blowing in your face? Unless you have, don't criticize me for being tired on the drive home after that, any normal human being would be tired from doing that kind of work 14 hours a day with little sleep when you finally get home. If it was only driving I could easily go for 11 hours with no problem, I always loved the long runs, it's the dock work that kills you for the ride home.

Bravo!! Finally someone makes sense here! You are so correct on the 08 and 22 punches of the clock! Nice post.

I always logged my hours as honestly and accurately as I could, 14 hours a day x 5 days in a week, plus the 2 hour extension on Friday which they forced us to use = 72 hours per week. They stopped forcing the 2 hour extension because apparently that is illegal, but when you're new to driving in general you would assume it is legal when every service center at a massive company like this typically does this practice, even though it never made a lot of sense to me. If some company did that to me now I would just simply tell them no I won't and go ahead and write me up if they want to, because at the end of the week after working 14 hours a day (mostly dock time), you are exhausted. Unless of course you are one of those fat :butt kiss: that always have a forklift, but 99% of the time I was using a pallet jack. It never made sense to even have pallet jacks, they just slow everything down and get in the way of others. But that's how a lot of FOS's run their ship.

Have you ever worked for Conway? It's not just driving time, it's mostly dock time and for new drivers you are lucky to get a forklift. Have you ever had to work at the Blythe location and had to pull heavy pallets all up and down their hot 120+ door dock for 4 hours in 100+ degree heat with forklift exhaust blowing in your face? Unless you have, don't criticize me for being tired on the drive home after that, any normal human being would be tired from doing that kind of work 14 hours a day with little sleep when you finally get home. If it was only driving I could easily go for 11 hours with no problem, I always loved the long runs, it's the dock work that kills you for the ride home.

When I did linehaul, the senior drivers would fly out to the terminal so they could get a forklift. I, of course would get a jack and be looked down upon. Then I noticed something. The forklift guys usually had to break 3 or 4 trailers and stop constantly to help jack guys. I, on the other hand broke 1 or 2 trailers and part of the time was spent standing there begging for a lift. Things can look different when you dont look through the prism of your ego.

When I did linehaul, the senior drivers would fly out to the terminal so they could get a forklift. I, of course would get a jack and be looked down upon. Then I noticed something. The forklift guys usually had to break 3 or 4 trailers and stop constantly to help jack guys. I, on the other hand broke 1 or 2 trailers and part of the time was spent standing there begging for a lift. Things can look different when you dont look through the prism of your ego.
I don't mind using the pallet jack. You actually do less work. (with more output). And you don't have to worry about loading that stuff high and tight.
You can also get you in some excercise. :chairshot:And by the looks most of the linehaul drivers, they could use it.

Oh my God, you're so right! I feel sad. Can I have a hug?:console:

Most other drivers do laugh at Conway workers. They know how it sucks working there. If it was a decent place to work you wouldnt need to hire apprentice workers and would get experienced drivers. Thats a gimme! When drivers will not stick together even after losing everything senior conway drivers did, says it all!

Most other drivers do laugh at Conway workers. They know how it sucks working there. If it was a decent place to work you wouldnt need to hire apprentice workers and would get experienced drivers. Thats a gimme! When drivers will not stick together even after losing everything senior conway drivers did, says it all!

10% action, 90% reaction... it's just a job. Most other drivers just do their job and don't have an opinion of other carriers. The American work force is changing due to the American corporate structure and the standards by which they operate (corporate law).

OK Einstein, if you know so much, give five specific points of error on the part of "senior drivers" that directly support your opinion that they themselves were responsible for, or could have prevented your theory of "lost everything".

how 'bout we start a real debate here?