TForce | Youngest driver at your barn?

Diesel Smoke

TB Lurker
Credits
Im 22, started in the city at 21. My buddy also started in the city at 21. No other drivers are even near as young as us. I think the next youngest one is 29. Anyone know if theres other UPS Freight drivers out there as young as us?

Diesel Smoke said:
Im 22, started in the city at 21. My buddy also started in the city at 21. No other drivers are even near as young as us. I think the next youngest one is 29. Anyone know if theres other UPS Freight drivers out there as young as us?

There is one that is 24 at CMS.

We had a lot of employees that started working here when they were 18-20 years old 30-40 years ago. I see alot of new employees these days.

I started driving for a living at 17,but had to wait till I was 21 to get my first LTL Teamsters city job.
Which was 1966,I logged in 45 years,and have been retired for a few years.
But when we were still Overnite,our dock crew were folks that started part-time at 18,I trained them to drive Semi's,and hook sets in the yard only.
They all had to wait till they turned 21 to start driving for the company.
then they had to log in at least one year in the city before they could go for any line haul bids.
I'm not sure if UPS follows the same age requirements?

Apostolic said:
I started driving for a living at 17,but had to wait till I was 21 to get my first LTL Teamsters city job.
Which was 1966,I logged in 45 years,and have been retired for a few years.
But when we were still Overnite,our dock crew were folks that started part-time at 18,I trained them to drive Semi's,and hook sets in the yard only.
They all had to wait till they turned 21 to start driving for the company.
then they had to log in at least one year in the city before they could go for any line haul bids.
I'm not sure if UPS follows the same age requirements?

I've seen them put postings online saying you 23 and half to drive.

I couldn't tell you how old our youngest is, but I could tell you how old some of them act.....

I've seen more maturity out of 7th graders than I have out of some of the guys I work with.

I've seen new hires get their first trailer to break on their own and come back up to the dock stand and say this isn't for me and quit. Some don't even make it out of orientation.

Although I don't work for UPS, and this is nothing against UPS, but let me tell you this. RUN, and run fast! I got out of High School went on a graduation trip to Hawaii, got home on Saturday and went to work at CF the next night at 11pm. I went to college while working full time and got my BS in 6 years. I then thought, ah what the hell is 24 more years to get a pension???... Well I cannot wait, in 8 more years I will have my 30 and I will be done. It has been a struggle to get this far, but my advice to you. Go to school, get out while your still young. Good luck bro, and believe me you will be 40 tomorrow and wonder what the hell had just happened........

You can say that again gonna be 39 years old here and might have to look for another job!!! The big E has not been good lately

It's funny how you mentioned this while I was thinking the same thing. Im still young buy I still try to save as much as possible because when I retire I'm anticipating that I will not have social security. I know some will say I'm over reacting but I'd rather be safe than sorry and be at the end of my working years.

It's funny how you mentioned this while I was thinking the same thing. Im still young buy I still try to save as much as possible because when I retire I'm anticipating that I will not have social security. I know some will say I'm over reacting but I'd rather be safe than sorry and be at the end of my working years.

Your not over reacting, Play it safe and save for your retirement. Pensions will also become a benefit of the past. This should be a hot topic during our next contract negotiations and should be non negotiable.

Your at a turning point in your life young buck you can go out and buy a fancy new car with some 20 inch spinners or you can open a Roth Ira..if you max it out 500 a month for thirty years at current interest you will retire at 51 with 9.6 million dollars

How the f*** did you get a city job at UPS at 21? The only guy I saw get hired at the terminal in Kansas City that young got the job through his father-in-law.

Is that what you did? Knocked up the boss's daughter?

How the f*** did you get a city job at UPS at 21? The only guy I saw get hired at the terminal in Kansas City that young got the job through his father-in-law.

Is that what you did? Knocked up the boss's daughter?

I started on the dock at 19 making peanuts to work in sometimes sub zero temperatures. Waited it out and signed every single bid that came up. Finally got awarded a bid, passed the road test, and here i am.

Diesel Smoke said:
I started on the dock at 19 making peanuts to work in sometimes sub zero temperatures. Waited it out and signed every single bid that came up. Finally got awarded a bid, passed the road test, and here i am.

Good job. I remember my days out there in the elements. Still am but being paid a lot more to be out there.

Good job. I remember my days out there in the elements. Still am but being paid a lot more to be out there.

I always tell these part timers who have no plans to drive....Go somewhere else, we pay our part timers worse then any other LTL company I know of

Diesel Smoke said:
I always tell these part timers who have no plans to drive....Go somewhere else, we pay our part timers worse then any other LTL company I know of

They do it's horrible I wanted to drive but then they did away with the Cdl training program.