TForce | Your experience with UPSF

Every company has it's good and bad, one thing that irritates me is the grooming policy. If your hired after 5/06 you cannot have a beard, only a mustache with it trimmed or well groomed. Now i can SOMEWHAT understand doin this policy with the package guys because they are dealing with the public all day every day. Unlike us who bump docks all day with dockworkers who barely speak english in the first damn place, I DON'T THINK THEY CARE, it's a silly rule that is uncalled for. I can understand if they wanted us to keep it trimmed or not too long but to say we can't have it PERIOD. C'MON
I have a gotee cuz if I left just a mustache I would look like a pedo and you wouldn't let me near your kids......

Other than that, there really isn't a lot that REALLY get to me. I can from a company that treated me and their employees like dog crap so it takes quit a bit to get to me and when I hear fellow employees start whining about how bad it is here, or how they were wronged for something completely stupid I either say to them "it could be worse" or I just think it to myself. And I ALWAYS think to myself how they wouldn't last at my old job, I've also said that a few times too. Sometimes I feel like I'm working with a bunch of whiney children. Now I kinda am comparing apples to oranges because it was a warehouse job and this is obviously a driving job, but company rules and the way you are treated are what makes a difference.
I don't know about what goes on at other terminals, but I don't feel like I'm being treated like a damn child, like I was for the 10 years before I started at UPGF.

My theory is: go out and do your damn job, like your supposed to, and no one will bother you. We get union wages and benefits, be thankful for that. I know of a place locally that is hiring for 6 positions starting out at $14-$15 hr. and they had over 200 applicants. So for me to be making $23hr. and guaranteed my 8 a day, I don't complain much.
I had one driver give me crap cuz I never had a reason to file a grievance so he was saying I was a company man. NO I am not a company man, I just don't feel like I been wronged yet, i don't whine about stupid things and I do my job! Believe me, if I filed a grievance, with the steward I have, I would win but I have no need too.

So in closing, are their things wrong with the company? Absolutely, but there is things wrong EVERYWHERE you go. 2. Are their good things about the company? SURE, it could be MUCH worse. Believe me.

Have you ever been union?If not you better find your steward and the second you swipe on tell your steward you want to join the union and get involved. Dont be part of the problem like most, but be part of the solution. Be an active part of your union, because its not if youll need them,but when youll need them. Hope we can call you a union brother soon. Otherwise your on your own.

if your upset at the grooming policy, get a bunch of drivers from your terminal to show up monday morning with thier eyebrows shaved off. your just trying to be clean shavein.
they can't suspend or fire you for following company policy.

OK first I will say that if you go back and read my post, you will see filing a grievance if needed, I will win with the steward I have. So that should tell you that I am in fact union. Second I will say, not only am I union but I am in the second largest Teamsters local in the country, and a very strong one in fact. (except our B.A. is as useful as tits on a bull)

So my question to you is, whats your point? Just because I don't file a grievance at the drop of a hat or because I've had no need too, I'm a part of the problem, or I don't get involved? Watch what you say buddy, cuz you will eat your words. Their has been PLENTY of grievances filed and won at our barn to keep our management in check and the company off our backs, to a point where I have had no need to file. I will say this again, if I feel I been wronged, I will file a grievance.

I was refrencing my comment to charliefoxtrot my brother, if your rebuttal is geared towards what i said. 705 and 710 are good locals, and i know them quite well and have spoken to them b4. I started in 1984 at Chicago facility and go back to the John Volten days. Love ya brother and appreciate ya bowing up. Id rather read guys standing for something then fallin for anything. No offense my brother.

Sorry, I thought you were referencing me, cuz it was right after my post. There is a few people that post on here that know how much I get involved in union activities but they won't come forward because they don't want their location or identity understandably givin away, so I will respect that. So there is proof that I do. That is why I got a little curt, sorry I did brother....

i hate the fact that part timers get absolutely screwed when it comes to pay and benefits

i hate that every union steward we have is in bed with management

and i hate that they seem to have a quota of how many people they can write up each week

My experience with UPS Freight?........hmm......well, not absolutely horrible, but not really that great, either. So, I left UPS to deliver cryogenics for the Linde group, formerly BOC gasses........best job ever in the history of........uh.....history........seriously, this job is really great.

I did think that it was b.s. to see Swift, CRST, Interstate, Gordon, Andrus, Knight, (insert common carrier here) hauling our freight while I was on a "soft layoff".

Thanks for playing!!!!! Good luck to all of you in freight!!!!

Well to tell you the truth Im hoping overnite buys back UPS Frt. be the way their running it , we will be out of business before YRC. I never seen anything like. At. our terminal 90% are on overtime, 12 to 14 hours and this idiot Northeast manager comes iin and wanats to cut drivers. For 2 days now he has been here and we have more bring backs and missed pickups just because he wants it ran his way... YRC will soon need morre drivers to pick up the missed ones we did. If anybody knows this northeast mgr, please take him back were he came form. He does not know 2 plus 2 =4

yes, the sec does regulate the stock but the company is required to submit a policy statement and must adhere to the laws concerning employees and actions while performing a legal business. a stock holder can file a complaint with the sec for the company violation of their contract and the violation of the law. i.e. hazmat, safety, harassment, hostile work enviroment. another comment overnite is still running the show some employees need to get over this love affair with overnite. The reason they did not do this to you previously was because of the railroad at least they have some respect for the law and the employees rights.