FedEx Freight | Your First assigned tractor and how many miles did it have on it?

My first was R6405 with 938000 as a city downgrade. 2004 Volvo with an M11 and a super ten. Nothing like pulling triples in that. Well... I think all of our trucks are turned down just enough to feel like that now.

Mine was AF unit R856 spring ride International. 890K and she drove like a bat out of hell! She had NO governor. She would do 90mph if you let it. I got pinched once for arriving too early during my shuttle.(speeding). AC would freeze you out. I still miss that truck but I love my current red racer Volvo with 900K miles.

:smilie93C_peelout: R 871 400 000 something, she did 77mph. It started to need to much and they gave me R1307 didn't go as fast but was in that one for over a year. Then the red racer era started for me.

L579 spring ride, no air, radio was from home installed in a plastic tool box held in place in the passenger seat with a bungee cord , those were the days !
+
-

Man I had forgotten about my home made portable radio box,used it in L187,don' remember how many miles it had but I do recall how hot it was.

My first truck (not FedEx) was a single screw 1972 International Transtar that looked a lot like this.

file0040.jpg

Guardrail

6215834 06 miles. Was brand new. Hard to give it up. But couldn't turn sharp enough when I moved to a inner city route.

HD4243. A 1982 KW was assigned to me in January of 1985. It only had 150,000. Miles on it. Had a Cat 3406A. Ran Reno to Orange County for a year with it. Great tractor!

I think mine was L242, no A/C, but you all know that, I loved that truck and did 2 summers in it, then it got a new engine and went away :( those screamin smurfs were awesome city units, I just wished it had A/C.

I used to pull over at the Quick Trip in Tulsa and dump my water jug on my head, then go in and fill it up, drink some, dump some more on me, then re-fill and get back to work, I bet it was 120 degrees in that truck!

I think mine was L242, no A/C, but you all know that, I loved that truck and did 2 summers in it, then it got a new engine and went away :( those screamin smurfs were awesome city units, I just wished it had A/C.

I used to pull over at the Quick Trip in Tulsa and dump my water jug on my head, then go in and fill it up, drink some, dump some more on me, then re-fill and get back to work, I bet it was 120 degrees in that truck!

I know that routine , I used to carry a hand towel, soak it with ice water, and wear around back of my neck, redneck ascot.

R1 was in our yard for about a year in Indianapolis. I think it was a Volvo. It was a jif-loc and didn't get moved very often.

If I am not mistaken HD4250 was assigned to T.Hartshorn out of the Valley for a while. I do not remember its having 13-speed. It was the first tractor Viking had with ABS though

I have an edit, it was L 442