ODFL | Your friend the dispatcher

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
I've always looked at a dispatcher as a card dealer.Some are straight up and honest,some are not.The ones that are crooked hide the cards and stack the deck for their good buddys.The ones that are honest,they're the ones a driver will do a little extra for.When miles are short and paychecks get small the dispatcher can make or break a man trying to work for a living........any opinions on this ?

I agree with that.
Last week was at home Monday, Tuesday,
Got out on Wednesday and stayed at Home on Thursday and Friday.
Have a Family of 4. Go figure.

I've always looked at a dispatcher as a card dealer.Some are straight up and honest,some are not.The ones that are crooked hide the cards and stack the deck for their good buddys.The ones that are honest,they're the ones a driver will do a little extra for.When miles are short and paychecks get small the dispatcher can make or break a man trying to work for a living........any opinions on this ?

Sounds to me like you hit the nail on the head. I have experienced both types of dispatchers while at OD. At one point when times got tough I got real frustrated and angry at the ones dealing from the bottom of the deck. That was the wrong thing to do.

The one thing we have on our side is the chance to be flexable. Try to look for the opportunity in your circumstance and trust in God to take care of the rest.

What does that mean? Take time to ask dispatchers what you can do. Is there anything else to run? I get surprised by the drivers who never ask this question. If you get the short turn see if the next terminal does not have something longer. Get sent home then see if they have something to do. One morning after a short turn I asked our dispatcher and was given the chance to make 3 more turns bringing back empty 53's. A 300 mile night turned into 580 miles. I have seen drivers get angry and try to get out of doing some simple city runs. Take whatever chance you get to work.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Just take the initiative and trust God to open the door.

Exactly, I've worked for both kinds of dispatchers, but no matter what I was like a dog looking for the bone. I wanted more work, or when I was done early on my P&D run, I would ask if there was anybody that was buried that I could go and start P/U's for, or take a couple of stops from.

We can't control the kind of people that are over us, but we can control our destiny and in that I've established a reputation with everyone that I can get the job done. Once in awhile that helps.

i'll run what ever they give me and they know that but im still sitting trying to get out of mrt disp said 16 schedules were can. today ive been trying to get out since 11/9/08 was told it would be a couple of more days before i can get out to many teams ahead of me that have been home longer then me

I feel your pain on that one easttnhillbilly. I go up to MRT from GVL quite a bit. Freight at MRT seems to be especially bad for some reason. Lately we bring freight in but almost always take empties back.

The freight's very slow I got cancelled saturday and today on my bid.I would guess running wild would be tough right now.When you got out of your terminal I'd try and get as far away from home as possible and stay there.

The freight's very slow I got cancelled saturday and today on my bid.I would guess running wild would be tough right now.When you got out of your terminal I'd try and get as far away from home as possible and stay there.

thats part of the problem den and slc don't want wild teams in there area any more all west bound extra loads have to be dropped in den then we head back east usually straight home thru par to mrt so times on weekend we can get a good west bound run out of kcy