TForce | Your Supplement will Seal the Deal!

extreme seriousness, is not limited to that though.

according to who?

Those of us that accept the contract... live by the contract...

see... the company would have an awful difficult time convincing otherwise... since this is the only paragraph / language in the entire contract that pertains to it...

A guaranteed "win" for the teamsters if it were anything else other then what is written!

*** With the only exception being criminal, federal, dot violations ***

becuase Article 23 only pertains to
Time Sheets, Time Clocks, and Video Cameras.

That would mean the company could not call anything else pertaining to Time Sheets, Time Clocks, and Video Cameras a "extreme seriousness" offense.

I don't see how this limits say rearending someone or leaving a trailer unlocked from being labeled a "extreme seriousness" offense.

The answer that your looking for is in essence listed on page 25 and 26

Article 23
Time Sheets, Time Clocks, and Video Cameras

Section 2. Video Cameras

The Company may use video cameras to discharge an employee without corroboration by observers if the employee engages in conduct such as dishonesty, theft of property, vandalism, or fighting for which an employee could be discharged without a warning letter.

"for which an employee could be discharged without a warning letter"

This imbedded language is your answer...

I don't agree with much in this contract. But I don't have a problem with that one.

That would mean the company could not call anything else pertaining to Time Sheets, Time Clocks, and Video Cameras a "extreme seriousness" offense.

I don't see how this limits say rearending someone or leaving a trailer unlocked from being labeled a "extreme seriousness" offense.

Interpretation and Application of the language isn't restricted to just the section of the contract for which it is written...

You need to learn how to think outside the box making the language and contract work within your favor and not the company...

The language no matter where it is positioned in the contract blankets the entire contract and must be cross referenced constantly...

Bottom line is... It's all about presentation... then convincing the company that this is how we interpret what is written...

Extreme seriousness is basically commiting a criminal act.

Where is this going? Or should I say, what do you want to get away with? There will be precedents and the rest will follow. As long as it's done fairly, which it will, then what does it all matter? If we all knew that rear-ending someone or leaving a trailer unlocked would get your fired on the first offense, then we'd all know well enough to not do it. But if they let just one guy off with a warning then they'll do it for eveyone. Well that one, you might consider doing then. But the serious ones, you probably wouldn't engage in.

As it stands now, one guy can get fired for doing something on the first try and then another guy gets to use the escalated process.

You're over-reacting because if they set the precedent for firing on the first offense for something rather weak, like say not wearing your safety vest, then they'll have to fire everyone who doesn't wear it. That is something that would get out of hand. But if the serious offense covers stuff like fighting, vandalism and stealing then those guys deserve it and those cases will be few and far between.

Bottom line is... It's all about presentation... then convincing the company that this is how we interpret what is written...

You're not serious are you? Unless you're the first person to contest it, it'll almost always be based on past rulings.

How YOU interpret it won't even be heard. Try that one in traffic court and let me know how it works for you.

I disageed with almost all you say and there is no use to argue. You are always correct and everyone else is wrong.:Duel:
Liebs said it and here it is "O"/ Liebs I wouldn't say always that's alot but probably most of the time!I sure will be glad when this is over then we can all get back to just swapping love stories and trucker tales on here. Man I have been saving them up just for that time, So get the marshmallows ready boys Here comes the Teamsters on that horse again :horse:

upgf, your not following the arguement we are talking about what is called an "extreme serious" offense.

I think the rule book will define it others think differently.

NiKDiesel is 100% correct--ALWAYS think outside the box as that is exactly what the Industrial Relations man is doing for the company on each and every issue.
Get names and numbers of stewards and drivers in other barns and communicate, as they may have had a similar issue in the past or may have another angle to look at. Do your homework and do not be afraid to ask for help

Extreme seriousness is basically commiting a criminal act.

according to current ups employees here is wht they can be fired for on the first offense:

"In cases of:

1 Proven Dishonesty
2 drinking of alcoholic beverages while on duty
3 recklessness resulting in a serious accident while on duty
4 the carrying of unauthorized passengers
5 unprovoked assault of an employee or supervisory employee while on duty
6 selling, transporting or use if illegal narcotics while in the employment of the employer
7 willful, wanton or malicious damage to the employer's property

shall be dischargeable offenses without the necessity of a warning letter being in effect."

sexual harrassment

dishonesty, accident with death or vehicle being towed, under the influence, runaway, unreported accident

How YOU interpret it won't even be heard.

"I" will always be heard...

This contract provides us all with the voice necessary for dealing with any and all situations that may arise...

That voice is: the "Grievance Machinery"

Once a grievance is filed...

The process becomes the responsibility of the union for further interpretation, negotiation as well as professional representation...

Try that one in traffic court and let me know how it works for you.

Our monthly contribution pays for the best legal defense money can buy... :1036316054:

*** Remember This ***

What you are use to or have become accustom to in the past... Is non-existent now...

You no longer stand by yourself to defend yourself...

You have the "Power of the Union"...

Let it work for YOU!

This contract provides us all with the voice necessary for dealing with any and all situations that may arise...

The process becomes the responsibility of the union for further interpretation, negotiation as well as professional representation...

Our monthly contribution pays for the best legal defense money can buy... :1036316054:

*** Remember This ***

What you are use to or have become accustom to in the past... Is non-existent now...

Let it work for YOU!

I Agree! As we all know the past few years we the employees have had no power to right any of the wrongs that have been going on. Heck, We did not even have anyone to talk to that even would listen.

*** Remember This ***

Let it work for YOU!

Just gives me goose bumps all over...:biglaugh: