Yrc 511 dallas driver killed in crash

1406724362000-Tina-18wheeler.JPG
RIP BROTHER DRIVER

I sometimes get hollered at for being in the middle lane and making some big rigger (usually some truckload company truck) have to shut off his cruise control. But I've seen way too many drivers - cars and trucks alike - cut the wheel and pull right out into the right-hand moving lane without getting rolling first. And if that guy who was hollering before has you blocked in and you can't get out of the right lane when someone pulls out on you, you are in deep $#!+. I have no way of knowing if this could have been the scenario or not, but we have lost a brother who likely had a family and loved ones. Rest In Peace, Brother.

The more I think about it, this crash was not a typical 10-15 mile-per-hour speed differential incident....as in hitting a brick wall at 10-15 mph or hitting another moving vehicle that is traveling 10-15 mph slower. No, this crash appears to be one where the trucks crashed at a much greater speed differential. And since I know first hand that YRC's fleet units are governed at 63 MPH, the truck that got hit could not have been moving at more than 20 mph, as evidenced by the damage. That reinforces my theory that the truck that was struck had just pulled from the shoulder. I notice there is no information about the struck truck. Was it one of those "entry-level training trucks" such as Swift, Werner, Prime, or the like? This makes at least two YRC men killed in similar crashes in the last 7 months that I am aware of, the other being JC Miller who smashed his "3-Million Mile Safe Driver" tractor into the back of a loaded dump truck that was slowly entering Interstate 64 in West Virginia last December. JC's tragic crash was one too many and now this crash in Austin is another too many. In addition to being a Teamster, I also am a member of OOIDA because the issues they are fighting for affect all of us, company drivers or owner operators. OOIDA's "truckersforsafety.com" seeks to address issues relating to training standards, or the lack there of, for the CDL training industry. In the meanwhile, all we as drivers can do is pay attention to the road ahead, and especially to trucks sitting on the shoulder. That old Smith System key, "Leave Yourself an Out" is even more important in this age of amateur and imported drivers on the highway.

The more I think about it, this crash was not a typical 10-15 mile-per-hour speed differential incident....as in hitting a brick wall at 10-15 mph or hitting another moving vehicle that is traveling 10-15 mph slower. No, this crash appears to be one where the trucks crashed at a much greater speed differential. And since I know first hand that YRC's fleet units are governed at 63 MPH, the truck that got hit could not have been moving at more than 20 mph, as evidenced by the damage. That reinforces my theory that the truck that was struck had just pulled from the shoulder. I notice there is no information about the struck truck. Was it one of those "entry-level training trucks" such as Swift, Werner, Prime, or the like? This makes at least two YRC men killed in similar crashes in the last 7 months that I am aware of, the other being JC Miller who smashed his "3-Million Mile Safe Driver" tractor into the back of a loaded dump truck that was slowly entering Interstate 64 in West Virginia last December. JC's tragic crash was one too many and now this crash in Austin is another too many. In addition to being a Teamster, I also am a member of OOIDA because the issues they are fighting for affect all of us, company drivers or owner operators. OOIDA's "truckersforsafety.com" seeks to address issues relating to training standards, or the lack there of, for the CDL training industry. In the meanwhile, all we as drivers can do is pay attention to the road ahead, and especially to trucks sitting on the shoulder. That old Smith System key, "Leave Yourself an Out" is even more important in this age of amateur and imported drivers on the highway.

Brother Steve, both your post are factual and spot on. All we can do is stay vigilant and use the 5 keys. I use the center lane whenever I approach all the spots where trucks are notorious for pulling back out onto the interstate from a dead crawl, ie. rest areas and wide spots. We are at both an disadvantage and advantage, our YRCF truck runs 62-63, but running the same lanes for 39 yrs. + is a huge hammer I have over Mr. Newbie and Mr. Sound Asleep.

The only other truck I saw in that horrific video was one of those spreader type dump trailers, but it didn't have any damage, that I could see?