ABF | YRC ABF

I don't think it would be bad for the industry to get one low priced carrier out of the game. I have seen more than one carrier go out of business in my time and thus far not one has made a ripple when it went out. My sympathies would be with those who are right on the cusp of retirement as they would have a hard time replacing their jobs. Historically the industry has absorbed the functioning workforce at an incredible pace. YRC is not only their own worst enemy, they are the worst enemy of all remaining carriers, union and not. i e, I have personally witnessed two instances where YRC went in and cut New Penn's rate (after the acquisitions). Their mindset has been to get the freight regardless of price, sometimes I wonder if they even know what it costs to move their freight. Please don't think that I forget the origin of my 7% concession + less vacation.

Maybe you can explain to me how it is in the best interest of the rest of the industry to keep YRC around.

You are right. When CF went out 70% of their freight was heavily discounted freight. The had next to nothing of value in their customer accounts. The freight that was left was picked up by different carriers. So if YRC goes out it will be a small blip on the
I don't think it would be bad for the industry to get one low priced carrier out of the game. I have seen more than one carrier go out of business in my time and thus far not one has made a ripple when it went out. My sympathies would be with those who are right on the cusp of retirement as they would have a hard time replacing their jobs. Historically the industry has absorbed the functioning workforce at an incredible pace. YRC is not only their own worst enemy, they are the worst enemy of all remaining carriers, union and not. i e, I have personally witnessed two instances where YRC went in and cut New Penn's rate (after the acquisitions). Their mindset has been to get the freight regardless of price, sometimes I wonder if they even know what it costs to move their freight. Please don't think that I forget the origin of my 7% concession + less vacation.

Maybe you can explain to me how it is in the best interest of the rest of the industry to keep YRC around.

I just suffered from 2 major power surges in the neighbor hood. That is why my post is incomplete.

You are right. When CF went out 70% of their freight was heavily discounted freight. They had next to nothing of value in their customer accounts. The freight that was left was picked up by different carriers. So if YRC goes out it will be a small blip on the Air Traffic Control's Radar that will disappear & 7 days later, it will be YRC who? And the sad thing is the workers left over wanting a job will be picked from the younger age group. No one wants a 50 year old worker when they can get someone @ 25. Any company will go to the end of the earth to lower potential workman's comp expenses. Nature of the business. von.

IMO the sudden availability thousands of highly qualified drivers will only have a downward effect on wages and benefits. You do understand the laws of supply and demand?
I agree that the companies would be able to absorb the business. But I stand by my statement above.

I just suffered from 2 major power surges in the neighbor hood. That is why my post is incomplete.

You are right. When CF went out 70% of their freight was heavily discounted freight. They had next to nothing of value in their customer accounts. The freight that was left was picked up by different carriers. So if YRC goes out it will be a small blip on the Air Traffic Control's Radar that will disappear & 7 days later, it will be YRC who? And the sad thing is the workers left over wanting a job will be picked from the younger age group. No one wants a 50 year old worker when they can get someone @ 25. Any company will go to the end of the earth to lower potential workman's comp expenses. Nature of the business. von.
50???? try 60 or70....they wish they had 50 year old workers!

Do you seriously believe the closure of YRCW would be good for the industry?
If you do, please elaborate.
IMO the sudden availability thousands of highly qualified drivers will only have a downward effect on wages and benefits. You do understand the laws of supply and demand?

The first very positive thing that would happen would be about a thousand or two thousand drivers that are over the age of 65 would go home and retire and spend their senior years with their family instead of staying out here till they die or their spouse dies or it is too late to enjoy their life....I just don't understand why so many guys stay so long when they don't need the money. The drivers that are left would spread out with many national regional and local carriers just like the freight. There is enough freight to support all of the drivers out there now I am sure the shippers are not going out of business because a carrier disappears. Of course their are the couple thousand drivers, that I would probably include myself in, that will never change companies unless they are forced to but it would probably be in their best interest with the current pension situation or lack of.
By the way you ask if I understand supply and demand, the answer is yes I have been trying to make a living trucking while dealing with all the scab companies and scab drivers for over thirty years. You asked!

Last edited:
Wishing yrc was gone accomplishes nothing. I have 10+ friends who work at Holland and Yrc. They make 70k plus with outstanding bennies. It's not what it was but what is anymore. They'll never repay the debt. We all know that. It's still better with them than without. Work for some of the nons like I have and you'll have a greater appreciation for what they still have. I just wish I could of experienced it at its height.

You may or may not know this unless one had been employed at CF.
Most of the good freight be it mom & pop or national accounts had long since been siphoned off to Their non- union operations.

You kids that are still employed will find out how hard it is to take that last step out the door when you have been at this for 30 plus years. Looking back the job sucked but the people you worked with made it worth it all.
Also that insurance is hard to replace at over $1000.00 a head per month.

Wishing yrc was gone accomplishes nothing. I have 10+ friends who work at Holland and Yrc. They make 70k plus with outstanding bennies. It's not what it was but what is anymore. They'll never repay the debt. We all know that. It's still better with them than without. Work for some of the nons like I have and you'll have a greater appreciation for what they still have. I just wish I could of experienced it at its height.
Roadway was a very disciplined company to work for before they were spun off from Roadway Services. After they were spun off, they loosened up a little. Little by little, management was encouraged to start working closer with their Teamsters. Michael Wickham really saved us after the spin off, Imo.
If not for the buyout and merger, Roadway Express would of survived, Imo.

You kids that are still employed will find out how hard it is to take that last step out the door when you have been at this for 30 plus years. Looking back the job sucked but the people you worked with made it worth it all.
Also that insurance is hard to replace at over $1000.00 a head per month.
It's darn hard to get the call at your motel room that your wife just passed unexpectedly also, might even be worth paying for some insurance, IMO.

I remember CF and even interviewed at Roadway. Great TM in Fayetteville NC back in 2001. Just married and new home and he honesty told me to pass. It was casual so nothing guaranteed. I passed up a job at Holland a few years later in Lumberton NC. I went for the interview only to be sent for a **** test. Way to fast. Glad I passed then as they closed it a few years later. Now I'm with Sysco in Buffalo and hook sets nightly next to Holland and New Penn terminals. These fellow Teamsters need these jobs. You never know I maybe working there one day.

These fellow Teamsters need these jobs. You never know I maybe working there one day.
I hear what you're saying and I feel for them. Once you need the company they own you, it's not a pretty position to be in, look at what it's done.

I hear what you're saying and I feel for them. Once you need the company they own you, it's not a pretty position to be in, look at what it's done.
The job prospects in Buffalo and other areas up this way are not great. What they offer now blows compared to what it once was but we have to live in and survive in the world as it is.

With all due respect. Have you considered how ABF would react to the permanent closure of all YRCW companies. If you need a hint, just look at YOUR current MOU. Maybe you don't recognize it, but you need ABF too.
I'm not going to debate the causes. We've worn that out.
But smart money will be on ABF seeking additional concessions, IF YRCW fails. And very likely will get them. Just as YRCW got them from us! Fear of unemployment in your late 50s+ will cause many more Teamsters to accept them. Of course there will be the same gripes as at YRCW.

With all due respect. Have you considered how ABF would react to the permanent closure of all YRCW companies. If you need a hint, just look at YOUR current MOU. Maybe you don't recognize it, but you need ABF too.
But smart money will be on ABF seeking additional concessions, IF YRCW fails. And very likely will get them. Just as YRCW got them from us! Fear of unemployment in your late 50s+ will cause many more Teamsters to accept them. Of course there will be the same gripes as at YRCW.
With all due respect I think that your thinking is skewed. YRC and the Teamsters are/were leading the race to the bottom and cut priced carriers don't do anybody any good except the shippers. I'm surprise that 'plex' hasn't been around to 'like' your post yet too.

The only reason ABF passed concessions was the bull crap lie of YRC buying ABF. The concessions at ABF was only passed by a 52% to 48% margin. If it wasn't for YRC it wouldn't have been close.
http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...sters-seal-deal-5-year-contract_20131031.html

With all due respect I think that your thinking is skewed. YRC and the Teamsters are/were leading the race to the bottom and cut priced carriers don't do anybody any good except the shippers. I'm surprise that 'plex' hasn't been around to 'like' your post yet too.

Gee, I never realized that you think of me so often, I'm flattered.

The only reason ABF passed concessions was the bull crap lie of YRC buying ABF. The concessions at ABF was only passed by a 52% to 48% margin. If it wasn't for YRC it wouldn't have been close.
http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...sters-seal-deal-5-year-contract_20131031.html

Which...if I still worked at YRC when that "offer" was floated, I'd have been destroying equipment. You motherfuckers got money to buy other companies, but are still taking 15% pay and 75% pension? **** you.

You moved to Egypt? Because you seem to be in "DE NILE"! LOL

But don't you really mean that Judy, and Welch got together for dinner somewhere and Judy said she could make the lawsuit against yrc go away if James would publicly let out thoughts of yrc buying abf? That way both companies save money....just enough info to scare the abf employees into voting yes?