ABF | YRC Asks Court to Dismiss ABF Suit

found this on a YRC thread ......................................................................................................... "For all of the people who think ABF is not a part of the NMFA"

ABF Agrees to Be Bound by 2008-2013 National Freight Standards Agreement
January 29, 2008 from the IBT itself article found in IBT press releases for Jan 2008.
(Washington, D.C.) - ABF Freight System, Inc. has agreed to the Teamster Union's demand that the company should agree to be bound by the proposed 2008-2013 Teamsters National Freight Industry Standards, which will protect union members' futures.

By agreeing to be bound by the proposed standards, ABF employees' health, welfare and pension benefits will be protected. Also, ABF employees' wages and working conditions will improve, as well as their job security.

We are pleased that ABF has agreed to be bound by the 2008-2013 Teamsters National Freight Industry Standards because it will protect our members' futures, said Tyson Johnson, Director of the Teamsters National Freight Division and lead negotiator of the proposed agreement. Improving and protecting our members' wages, benefits and working conditions are our top priority. I urge all Teamster freight members to approve the tentative agreement.

The tentative agreement, also known as the National Master Freight Agreement, provides record benefit contributions from employers that will help protect health, welfare and pension benefits........................

Last edited by a moderator:
They have the same language as the NMFA, however they are not signatory to the same agreement as YRC. Therefore a different agreement.

I'll wait and see what the court says before I make my decision on that.

Where is the contract that ABF is under? My handbook is the NFMA handbook. I have not seen a supplement with ABF on it or language that excludes ABF in the NFMA. There must be a copy of the separate agreement if there is indeed one. If there is a white paper agreement somebody at the local can surely supply a copy. If ABF would have been successful in negotiating a contract exclusive to ABF then there would have been a different contract than YRC.

Where is the contract that ABF is under? My handbook is the NFMA handbook. I have not seen a supplement with ABF on it or language that excludes ABF in the NFMA. There must be a copy of the separate agreement if there is indeed one. If there is a white paper agreement somebody at the local can surely supply a copy. If ABF would have been successful in negotiating a contract exclusive to ABF then there would have been a different contract than YRC.

ABF withdrew from the carrier bargaining unit in 2008 and signed a separate agreement that mirrors much of the NMFA negotiated on YRC's behalf.

"An employer executing a 'me too' agreement does not become a party to the underlying contract," YRC said, citing several previous court decisions.

YRC also pointed out that ABF negotiated a contract amendment with the Teamsters earlier this year that was rejected by its union employees in May.

YRC Asks Court to Dismiss ABF Suit | Journal of Commerce

ABF withdrew from the carrier bargaining unit in 2008 and signed a separate agreement that mirrors much of the NMFA negotiated on YRC's behalf.

"An employer executing a 'me too' agreement does not become a party to the underlying contract," YRC said, citing several previous court decisions.

YRC also pointed out that ABF negotiated a contract amendment with the Teamsters earlier this year that was rejected by its union employees in May.

YRC Asks Court to Dismiss ABF Suit | Journal of Commerce
What they said was take it or take it. I was still employeed by roadway back then & the abf managment was not happy.

I posted this over in the YRCW forum, please read what is in bold letters.

Published on Teamsters for a Democratic Union (Teamsters for a Democratic Union)
ABF Agrees to Match NMFA By TDU Created 2008-01-30 22:19 ABF Agrees to Match NMFA | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

January 30, 2008: As expected, ABF management has signed a "me-too" to be bound by the National Master Freight Agreement (NMFA).

The ABF me-to means we will retain a united freight contract. This outcome was never really in doubt. The International Union said all along that it would hold ABF to the NMFA—just like it did when other companies including Yellow tried to break away.
The International Union cynically tried to take advantage of member’s opposition to ABF’s attempted pension grab by telling ABF Teamsters to send a message to the company by voting for concessions in the proposed National Master Freight Agreement.

That concessionary offer is still out for a vote. If it is rejected, then Teamsters at both Yellow-Roadway and ABF can send our negotiators back to the table to win improvements. That would send a real message to management that we are determined to defend our union standards in freight.................... One contract demanded by the IBT, a united contract the NMFA. Just like when Yellow tied to break out of the NMFA. ABF is as much a part of the NMFA as is YRCW

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ABF has a strong chance of winning this law suit and what it says in bold letters seems to prove it,ABF employees were getting the same wage as everyone else along with paying into the pension and health and welfare therefore if there were not covered under the NMFA I am sure there would have been a major wage difference also the international has been to quiet about the it which tends to tell me they are worried.