ABF | YRC extension talks

Now wait a minute, your telling me abf drivers can't visit the fort at all? Wow, guess someone forwarded me a pic then huh? Believe what u want. I'm excited fir all the men and women still have a great job to care for their families and we can all move past this. We are truly the best of the best. Congrats everyone
Im not going to drag this thread out any more then it has to, but why would you go visit the fort? Are you geographically close to the place?

I went from a dsr at conway, straight to upper management at abf. Dang, If its that easy, I might look into it. Thanks but No thanks. I enjoy being a driver not a pencil pusher

I went from a dsr at conway, straight to upper management at abf. Dang, If its that easy, I might look into it. Thanks but No thanks. I enjoy being a driver not a pencil pusher

Don't tell anyone but I am also in upper management. My title is H.D.I.C.P.T. Within Special Events at ABC.
Head
Duck
In
Charge of
Portable
Toilets.

I own the portable toilet business at every NASCAR Event!

Another revenue producing entity at ABC.

Don't tell anyone but I am also in upper management. My title is H.D.I.C.P.T. Within Special Events at ABC.
Head
Duck
In
Charge of
Portable
Toilets.

I own the portable toilet business at every NASCAR Event!

Another revenue producing entity at ABC.

In other words you're full of sh!t!

Mysteriously nothumbleenough returns after a long absence beginning when the Master was ratified. I expect his presence to signify that ABF is already in the process of holding out the donations hat.
Been watching closely for months . Haven't contributed purposely.

I'll bet you have a good idea where I stood on this issue. If you are trying to suggest I am part of management, please be so bold to put your exact thoughts out instead of hinting. I will gladly personally message a picture of the tractor I drive to start each trip. I would think you might have learned a lesson about the same accusations that Rolling62 proved to be false.
Oddly enough you accuse me of suggesting that you are management. There is nothing in my post there declaring that you are management. That in itself says something. That combined with your pro company rhetoric makes you sound like management to me.

Oddly enough you accuse me of suggesting that you are management. There is nothing in my post there declaring that you are management. That in itself says something. That combined with your pro company rhetoric makes you sound like management to me.
Why would any employee want their employer to fail? That pro company crap is hog wash. When abf thrives, we in return have then something to bargain with.

Why would any employee want their employer to fail? That pro company crap is hog wash. When abf thrives, we in return have then something to bargain with.

This qoute just shows us all you have no idea how union companies work. When the end of the contract comes abf (like all other union coms) always spin the numbers, and always cry poverty. Hell look at us at upsf, they just posted a 5.5% higher in revenue then this time last year. And our management said during the time since we voted down the T.A "we are at risk of losing customets due to the no vote". So dont think the sharrholders and upper management will share the revenue that they will rake in with your 7% wage cut. Rollin u got alot to learn. First thing u should do is keep your yap shut and your ears open......

Haha! I keep forgetting I don't work at conway anymore. I can't find my " How to be a hardcore teamster for dummies manual".

Nothumbleenough welcome back. I don’t know if you are management or not and I don’t care. What I do know is I have enjoyed our past conversations and I look forward to some stimulating conversation in the future.

So what are your thoughts on the cost structure reduction ABF will receive with this contract? Will management be able to turn in into a sustainable competitive advantage?

Nothumbleenough welcome back. I don’t know if you are management or not and I don’t care. What I do know is I have enjoyed our past conversations and I look forward to some stimulating conversation in the future.

So what are your thoughts on the cost structure reduction ABF will receive with this contract? Will management be able to turn in into a sustainable competitive advantage?

I believe it is the best they are going to get. As mentioned previously, I would bet pension relief will come their way via congress but only God could put that timeline out there considering the dysfunction of our political process in both houses of Congress. I don't think and would not support the company asking for any additional givebacks during this contract. And hopefully, come next contract we are able to bargain back some if not all the vacation time lost in this contract.

I expect us to be profitable and to hit the incentives laid out in the operating ratios to qualify for bonuses available. And lastly, I expect we will be the only union LTL still operating in a few short years.

You don't take into account that only 25% of truck drivers have a CDL-A, HAZ-MAT, Doubles, Triples, Tanker,....which is what you need to do LTL. You also don't take into account that the average age of an LTL truck driver is 10 years older than the rest of the workforce average age. We are a subset within a subset,....occupation-wise, and a rapidly aging one, at that. This contract was designed to keep aging drivers around a little longer, while the company gradually bleeds away the work load to contractors. The primary place where non-union LTL carriers hire are refugees from entry-level Truckload carriers,....drivers that have the rudimentary skills, and can't stand being away from home most of their life, and don't like being treated as part of the machinery. The primary place that the Union carriers got their employees, was refugees from the non-Union LTL carriers,....the guys that couldn't take the snitches, the spying, lack of seniority, favoritism, lack of overtime pay,...and a host of other things that don't exist at Union carriers. With this contract,...that "employment" chain has been broken. There is no reason to go to a Union carrier,...the wages are less, they've established a "No corroboration" clause in the contract,...there will never be enough work for people on the bottom, because there's no incentive to hire if you can farm out local cartage work on a daily basis. Of course they'll be profitable,....at our expense. How much less profitable would Estes and Old Dominion be if they were forced to abide by the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, and pay their employees overtime, like almost every other occupation in the U.S.? Profitability means lowering the labor costs, nowadays.....at the expense of the employees and their families.

Once you give something away, its like pulling teeth to get it back. And here is a update on upsf contract talks...........................................................still waiting to hear from ken hall. But ill keep holding my breath

YRC to Meet with IBT to Press Contract Extension
October 29, 2013: On November 5, YRC execs will meet with the IBT Freight Division and some members of the National Negotiating Committee to press for a contract extension, reportedly until 2019, with no improvements.

The meeting will come two days before YRC is expected to announce its third quarter results. The company is aiming to refinance its debt, and wants a long-term Teamster agreement in place to get bank financing.

Hoffa's appointee to YRC's Board of Directors, Harry Wilson, has been the point man in pushing for getting a contract extension in place.

- See more at: YRC to Meet with IBT to Press Contract Extension | Teamsters for a Democratic Union
2 places we spot trailers were very lean shipper said yrc came in & slashed rates...... That's not the way to pay debt off...... Could it be last ditch effort?

2 places we spot trailers were very lean shipper said yrc came in & slashed rates...... That's not the way to pay debt off...... Could it be last ditch effort?
For some reason that seems to be a standard operating procedure. Carolina did it when they were on their last leg. Fill the trailers at any price and hope we make money at it. Their business model is killing us all.

You don't take into account that only 25% of truck drivers have a CDL-A, HAZ-MAT, Doubles, Triples, Tanker,....which is what you need to do LTL. You also don't take into account that the average age of an LTL truck driver is 10 years older than the rest of the workforce average age. We are a subset within a subset,....occupation-wise, and a rapidly aging one, at that. This contract was designed to keep aging drivers around a little longer, while the company gradually bleeds away the work load to contractors. The primary place where non-union LTL carriers hire are refugees from entry-level Truckload carriers,....drivers that have the rudimentary skills, and can't stand being away from home most of their life, and don't like being treated as part of the machinery. The primary place that the Union carriers got their employees, was refugees from the non-Union LTL carriers,....the guys that couldn't take the snitches, the spying, lack of seniority, favoritism, lack of overtime pay,...and a host of other things that don't exist at Union carriers. With this contract,...that "employment" chain has been broken. There is no reason to go to a Union carrier,...the wages are less, they've established a "No corroboration" clause in the contract,...there will never be enough work for people on the bottom, because there's no incentive to hire if you can farm out local cartage work on a daily basis. Of course they'll be profitable,....at our expense. How much less profitable would Estes and Old Dominion be if they were forced to abide by the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, and pay their employees overtime, like almost every other occupation in the U.S.? Profitability means lowering the labor costs, nowadays.....at the expense of the employees and their families.

That is how I started my carrier in the trucking industry. An OTR driver, then a non-union LTL carrier, and finally a union carrier.

For some reason that seems to be a standard operating procedure. Carolina did it when they were on their last leg. Fill the trailers at any price and hope we make money at it. Their business model is killing us all.

I think that is how CF did it too. Talking with some of the old CF employees, several have mentioned how CF docks were full of freight on the day the company locked the gates and closed the doors.