FedEx Freight | YRC-Fedex difference

droppingaduece

TB Lurker
Credits
Besides one being non and the other being union can anyone see the similarities between yrc and FedEx. Both company's bought out other company's trying to be the largest in the ltl business. The biggest difference there is FedEx didn't go into debt the way yrc did. Both company's have laid off a large part of their work force. Yrc employees voted to take reductions to save as many jobs as they could and looks to be on the rebound tho they still have a long way to go. Fedex employees moved in some cases thousands of miles to save their jobs and then we're told after about 3-6 months thank you for moving until we could get the rail situation figured out now we don't need you anymore. Yrc lost pay in voting to take concessions, FedEx lost pay in that FedEx Corp didn't keep up with pay increases and benefits that other carriers have. We just didn't get to vote.So for ask you anti-union people out there that wasn't too bring up the yrc contract for comparison, we are closer to yrc than you think. By the way I live in Texas, I am pro-union, because I feel like that is the best option for us as employees, 1 person can't stand alone and make a difference. Are the Teamsters perfect, no they are not, but the work rules, pay, and lack of benefits we have now are far from perfect also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides one being non and the other being union can anyone see the similarities between yrc and FedEx. Both company's bought out other company's trying to be the largest in the ltl business. The biggest difference there is FedEx didn't go into debt the way yrc did. Both company's have laid off a large part of their work force. Yrc employees voted to take reductions to save as many jobs as they could and looks to be on the rebound tho they still have a long way to go. Fedex employees moved in some cases thousands of miles to save their jobs and then we're told after about 3-6 months thank you for moving until we could get the rail situation figured out now we don't need you anymore. Yrc lost pay in voting to take concessions, FedEx lost pay in that FedEx Corp didn't keep up with pay increases and benefits that other carriers have. We just didn't get to vote.So for ask you anti-union people out there that wasn't too bring up the yrc contract for comparison, we are closer to yrc than you think. By the way I live in Texas, I am pro-union, because I feel like that is the best option for us as employees, 1 person can't stand alone and make a difference. It's the Teamsters perfect, no they are not, but the work rules, pay, and lack of benefits we have now are far from perfect also.
I heard the YRC is looking for drivers in your area. You should put in an application. You love the Union so much and hate FXF you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I heard the YRC is looking for drivers in your area. You should put in an application. You love the Union so much and hate FXF you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Just pointing out the similarities driver. And again why should I have to start all over. If the union does come to your terminal and happens to get voted in, if your not in a rtw state does that mean you will move on? Dude you have a lot of hatred going on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pointing out the similarities driver. And again why should I have to start all over. If the union does come to your terminal and happens to get voted in, if your not in a rtw state does that mean you will move on? Dude you have a lot of hatred going on there.

Guess you didn't keep up with the US Supreme court...every state is pretty much a right to work state now.

Besides one being non and the other being union can anyone see the similarities between yrc and FedEx. Both company's bought out other company's trying to be the largest in the ltl business. The biggest difference there is FedEx didn't go into debt the way yrc did. Both company's have laid off a large part of their work force. Yrc employees voted to take reductions to save as many jobs as they could and looks to be on the rebound tho they still have a long way to go. Fedex employees moved in some cases thousands of miles to save their jobs and then we're told after about 3-6 months thank you for moving until we could get the rail situation figured out now we don't need you anymore. Yrc lost pay in voting to take concessions, FedEx lost pay in that FedEx Corp didn't keep up with pay increases and benefits that other carriers have. We just didn't get to vote.So for ask you anti-union people out there that wasn't too bring up the yrc contract for comparison, we are closer to yrc than you think. By the way I live in Texas, I am pro-union, because I feel like that is the best option for us as employees, 1 person can't stand alone and make a difference. Are the Teamsters perfect, no they are not, but the work rules, pay, and lack of benefits we have now are far from perfect also.

What I read from your post is why bring in a union. A lot is similar if you ask me so what has the union actually done for YRC?

The similarities pretty much stop at they're both LTL carriers.

The equipment quality, the work environment, the US/Them divide, the amount of petty grievances....night and day.

Guess you didn't keep up with the US Supreme court...every state is pretty much a right to work state now.
Evidently I have to explain it. I have worked my way up to where I am on the board. Have done my share of patio dancing in the heat and cold, have been extra board and finally get to a good daytime bid. Why would I leave that, along with my vacation time to start all over. Was just wondering if BDM was willing to do the same. Not trying to start a political debate.

What I read from your post is why bring in a union. A lot is similar if you ask me so what has the union actually done for YRC?
How about when an extremely bad financial decision was made by yrc and the purchase of companies put them in the position of going bankrupt. The union renegotiated the contract, not a popular decision at the time, as people where asked to take pay cuts and lost some contributions to the pension. They worked with the membership and creditors to keep the doors open in effect saving jobs. Not all of them but the majority of them. At the same time FedEx and Conway where trying to put the final nail in the coffin of yrc. Do you remember the 90 for 90? You know 90% discount for 90 days. A very bad financial decision made by FedEx. That's when our salaries were frozen and salaried employees where hit with a 5% decrease. But we didn't get a vote on that did we. As I mentioned the renegotiation wasn't popular, but the membership did vote on it. That is how the union has helped yrc. And before you say the union put them in bad financial position, no they didn't. While they still have a ways to go they are making a come back.

The similarities pretty much stop at they're both LTL carriers.

The equipment quality, the work environment, the US/Them divide, the amount of petty grievances....night and day.

Please explain how do the similarities stop. Because it doesn't match what you are trying to pass out. We know you are anti so let me explain.

I pass and get passed by yrc equipment everyday they have good equipment, now I know as a non employee of FedEx you haven't seen or pretripped our equipment. While we do have some good equipment we have our fair share of junk also.

The divide, your right the company does try to divide us so we won't get together, that's not a stretch.

And we have plenty of petty grievances here, biggest difference is We are ALONE when we try and get them fixed. Sometimes it works most times it doesn't. Have I won some battles, yes I have. But I've lost more.

I don't see the night and day difference except yrc is union and has a contract FedEx doesn't.

The facts are that you do not have to belong to a union to work for an employer in the US (just try that one in the construction trades in the north) . In the right to work (RTW) states one does not have to pay anything to the union. In the non RTW states workers have to pay a fee, which is almost as much as union dues but not being a member they are not allowed to vote in elections or attend union meetings and functions. In many industries there are many who do not pay dues in those RTW states and they do get what they pay for wink wink. However, in the freight industry and UPS most pay their dues as a token of their appreciation for what they receive.

Please explain how do the similarities stop. Because it doesn't match what you are trying to pass out. We know you are anti so let me explain.

I pass and get passed by yrc equipment everyday they have good equipment, now I know as a non employee of FedEx you haven't seen or pretripped our equipment. While we do have some good equipment we have our fair share of junk also.

The divide, your right the company does try to divide us so we won't get together, that's not a stretch.

And we have plenty of petty grievances here, biggest difference is We are ALONE when we try and get them fixed. Sometimes it works most times it doesn't. Have I won some battles, yes I have. But I've lost more.

I don't see the night and day difference except yrc is union and has a contract FedEx doesn't.

The big difference is FedEx makes money and YRC does not. The union negotiated for them and they make less than us. Why would we want the same people negotiating for us. NO!!!

The big difference is FedEx makes money and YRC does not. The union negotiated for them and they make less than us. Why would we want the same people negotiating for us. NO!!!
The main reason was the economy tanked not to mention bottom feeders cutting rates, guess fedex would rather give your raises back to the customer instead of its drivers....

Evidently I have to explain it. I have worked my way up to where I am on the board. Have done my share of patio dancing in the heat and cold, have been extra board and finally get to a good daytime bid. Why would I leave that, along with my vacation time to start all over. Was just wondering if BDM was willing to do the same. Not trying to start a political debate.
BDM I guess is me. Been with FXF 15 years started at the bottom just like everybody else now I'm #3 on the city board. If I hated FXF like a lot of these cry babies on here I would be gone in a heart beat life is to short to be miserable. I ran the road coast to coast for 21 years. I want nothing to do with line haul bid. I just do my job and go home. On Friday I get my check and start over on Monday.Could FXF be better sure it could. But I have worked for a lot worse over the years and drove a lot worse equipment.

Explain, please..

Not sure what you would like me to expound upon.

Please explain how do the similarities stop.

Black/white, hot/cold, up/down, off/on....that's how different those companies are. The only similarity is that they are both LTL carriers.

droppingadeuce said:

You are mistaken about my level of familiarity with FedEx and YRC equipment. You may believe you have your fair share of junk, what you don't have is perspective as to just how much junk some of these other carriers have.

droppingadeuce said:
And we have plenty of petty grievances here...

I haven't seen or heard of a single petty grievance, but I am sure they exist. Why don't you pop by a YRC or ABF terminal and ask to fill out an application, while you are in their break-room look at the grievance notifications on the Teamster board. I believe your definition of petty will change.

droppingadeuce said:
Spend some time at a YRC facility or two, you'll likely change your mind.[/QUOTE]

If I hated FXF like a lot of these cry babies on here I would be gone in a heart beat life is to short to be miserable.

Some have a dislike for the current state of affairs and want to do what they can to affect change.

Most who are unhappy would likely be unhappy wherever they land, it is how they are. They are often "victims" in other facets of their life too. Nothing is ever their fault. Somebody is always out to screw them.

Some people think they're right all the time and are probably grossly overpaid for the uses of their brains.Because in the real world their ideas dont hold water.
I used to try and talk union in the Fedex forums and was always outnumbered by a longshot.
Some of these prounion guys now were not then.
Lame attempt to label people who desire unions as weak " victims".

Some have a dislike for the current state of affairs and want to do what they can to affect change.

Most who are unhappy would likely be unhappy wherever they land, it is how they are. They are often "victims" in other facets of their life too. Nothing is ever their fault. Somebody is always out to screw them.