Reddaway | YRC finally pulls the plug

Not the ones that vote,its the ones that
voted no back in oct 09. You know the ones I called GREEDY,It is those barns that thought they shouldnt take a pay cut when the rest of us did,including the So cal union barns...

Hey big pile of dog bleep
Why don't you get the facts before you call me greedy. If Reddaway would have only offered to steal 15% from us we could have accepted that like everyone else. Problem was they wanted about an extra $1.50 per hour from us over what they made you take. Sorry if you're ok with being treated like a pile of dog bleep but we refused and we chose to stand up to tyranny and oppression. If you don't you will be pushed around by this company and I hope you have help because you are gonna need it.

Tom S., the Secretary-Treasurer for Local 81 in Portland, said that he had the letter stating that Reddaway will be closed and the workers end tailed into YRC.

Why exactly would the workers be end tailed and not dove tailed?

Somebody said that they are not NMFA, but does that really matter?

Is there precedence for end tailing

Teamsters from another

The law says if you bring work you dovetail. The IBT says if you merge from a white paper into what WAS the Nmfa you endtail. The local unions in the NW will fight the IBT because it is a form of discrimination. Reddaway has a lot more work than YRC

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom S., the Secretary-Treasurer for Local 81 in Portland, said that he had the letter stating that Reddaway will be closed and the workers end tailed into YRC.

Why exactly would the workers be end tailed and not dove tailed?

Somebody said that they are not NMFA, but does that really matter?

Is there precedence for end tailing

Teamsters from another

The law says if you bring work you dovetail. The IBT says if you merge from a white paper into what WAS the Nmfa you endtail. The local unions in the NW will fight the IBT because it is a form of discrimination. Reddaway has a lot more work than YRC

I don't know what law you are referring to, or what source you're using for the IBT's stand. What I know is this, the dove tailing of non-NMFA workers is not provided for in the NMFA contract that I can find. Therefore, if it's not specifically provided for, it can not be allowed.

What I know is that about 15-17 years ago there was a merger between Reddaway and United Truck Lines. Reddaway was Union and some United was Union. There was argument about whether the non-union United people should dovetail or end tail. There was no language to support either position just like the NMFA has now. The decision went to arbitration and it was determined that if a company brings work, they shall dovetail, if they do not, they shall end tail. From what I saw the IBT is taking the position that no matter what, if Reddaway merges with YRC, they shall end tail. No contract can take precedent over an arbitration decision unless there is specific language stating the other position. By there being nothing in the NMFA speaking to this situation, I would think an arbitrators decision would apply. To me it seems like a discrimation situation where the IBT is giving preferential treatment to one group over another even though the group that would be end tailed would be bring substantially more work with them than the work that is currently being performed by the absorbing comapny.

I hope that makes sense.

I heard the union shops would dovetail and the nons endtail. Makes sense to me. I would be very surprised if any non is going to dovetail in front of a union man.

I heard the union shops would dovetail and the nons endtail. Makes sense to me. I would be very surprised if any non is going to dovetail in front of a union man.
reddaway is not going anywhere just another yrc threat to scare a yes vote. This guy is pushing yes votes on the yrc board,he must be management.

What is it that you guys don't understand? Yellow/Roadway merged and is now one company. Reddaway on the other hand all though is under the same YRCW umbrella is not part of YRC, so why would they dovetail into the YRC seniority roster? Those guys never worked for Yellow and they never worked for Roadway. Those terminals that are closing in the pacific northwest are controlled by TDU run locals, that should tell you something right? I was told that the Reddaway members gave the negotiating committee list of their concerns and most of the concerns where addressed and worked out, and they still voted the concessions down. That tells me that those TDU leaders put their members livelihood on the line and lost, just to go against Hoffa and the International. Way to go TDU!!

You have no clue what you are saying...

What is it that you guys don't understand? Yellow/Roadway merged and is now one company. Reddaway on the other hand all though is under the same YRCW umbrella is not part of YRC, so why would they dovetail into the YRC seniority roster? Those guys never worked for Yellow and they never worked for Roadway. Those terminals that are closing in the pacific northwest are controlled by TDU run locals, that should tell you something right? I was told that the Reddaway members gave the negotiating committee list of their concerns and most of the concerns where addressed and worked out, and they still voted the concessions down. That tells me that those TDU leaders put their members livelihood on the line and lost, just to go against Hoffa and the International. Way to go TDU!!

I was sitting at the negotiating table for months. I had lunch with Mr Paffenroth several times, the man Hoffa sent to take over our negotiations. He failed to get our members to bend over like the master freight guys nationwide have done. However, he did finally understand and agree that we have worked the same work, for less money than Master Freight for years and years. The IBT's answer to the concessions was to give us a small pay raise before taking 15%. It would have left us at a reasonable $19 an hour. (Reasonable compared to simply taking 15%! However, we would be $2.65 less than the majority of non-union LTL regional carriers in Portland.) This would have passed in this economic climate, if not for some language issues. We were not being offered a 'snap back' at the end; We were to pay 100% for our health coverage increases in the final year; Our dock workers were to end up on a very low pay scale, losing several dollars per hour; And a few other significant items that were far different from what Master Freight enjoys as part of a concession. In other words, there was NO EQUAL SACRIFICE. We sent Paffenroth back with 'FAILURE' stamped on his forhead, which is why he is voicing he would just as well let Reddaway die. He takes it personal. If we had the same offer YRC has given it's employee's, it would probably pass by a small margin. The thinking is it is better to be around in 3 or 4 yars to fight for a return to real wages, than not be around at all. As for the Locals being 'TDU' Locals, not true. Most Teamsters within Reddaway don't even kno what the TDU is. Our negotiating committee is made up of the union reps and stewards from each unit. Our first order of business was to agree that there would be no sidebars and 'private deals' made without everyone's knowledge. However, the IBT has taken over negotiations and now everything is done behind closed doors. We effectively have no representation at this point. It's more appropriate to say the IBT has taken over, and has their thumb on the Local's leadership. The one exception is Seattle. They have strong leadership and the membership numbers to stand up against this IBT scam. Any Local that stands up for their members, if it goes against Hoffa's wishes, is subject to being taken over by the IBT....this is the world we live in, it is what it is. Both labor and Reddaway management are rooting for Seattle to stand up for what's right and save a 92 year old company that has been gutted by the Yellow Machine. (I do not include Roadway in that.....they have been gutted by the Yellow Machine as well. They were once an excellent company.) I will say this: If we go down, you can expect several hundred people protesting on a picket line and doing ambulatory picketing at YRC. Anyone who crosses...we will call *****. We will spend a few weeks of our own time, doing what the real Teamsters taught us. If it pushes YRC over the edge, then so be it. The American way. And then we can all go out into what remains of the industry and organize. Hopefully, the IBT will have new leadership by then....

:clap::clap::clapping::notworthy:
What I know is that about 15-17 years ago there was a merger between Reddaway and United Truck Lines. Reddaway was Union and some United was Union. There was argument about whether the non-union United people should dovetail or end tail. There was no language to support either position just like the NMFA has now. The decision went to arbitration and it was determined that if a company brings work, they shall dovetail, if they do not, they shall end tail. From what I saw the IBT is taking the position that no matter what, if Reddaway merges with YRC, they shall end tail. No contract can take precedent over an arbitration decision unless there is specific language stating the other position. By there being nothing in the NMFA speaking to this situation, I would think an arbitrators decision would apply. To me it seems like a discrimation situation where the IBT is giving preferential treatment to one group over another even though the group that would be end tailed would be bring substantially more work with them than the work that is currently being performed by the absorbing comapny.

I hope that makes sense.

This makes sense to me!

when two companies merge as one in a buy it's a dovetail..Yellow-Roadway..
ABF-Carolina

when two companies are owned by a parent company and operate separately
YRC-New Penn and the parent company closes New Penn it's an end-tail

hypothetically and sympathetically speaking of course

:nono_h4h:​

well it would be another of the stupid things YRC would do. I am not familiar with the east coast (new penn & holland) but know that Reddeway is a very repected company on the west coast. If people wanted to move their freight via Yellow/Roadway they would be already. Get rid of Reddeway and their coverage and service by merging them into a new operation and the whole YRCW will lose business. Very good for west coast companies but really sad that YRCW continues to cost people their jobs.

Just because TDU Tom Leedum is in the NW does not mean every Local in the NW is TDU. 162 is not, 962 is not and the current leadership at 174 ran against the TDU group in 2006 and 2009 and beat them both times by wide margins. Check your facts please!

I was sitting at the negotiating table for months. I had lunch with Mr Paffenroth several times, the man Hoffa sent to take over our negotiations. He failed to get our members to bend over like the master freight guys nationwide have done. However, he did finally understand and agree that we have worked the same work, for less money than Master Freight for years and years. The IBT's answer to the concessions was to give us a small pay raise before taking 15%. It would have left us at a reasonable $19 an hour. (Reasonable compared to simply taking 15%! However, we would be $2.65 less than the majority of non-union LTL regional carriers in Portland.) ............... If it pushes YRC over the edge, then so be it. The American way. And then we can all go out into what remains of the industry and organize. Hopefully, the IBT will have new leadership by then....

Amen 162P&D,
A rare find is a Local President that is more for the Brothers than for himself. I believe that if the IBT could gain 50k Mexican teamsters they would throw away 30k USA teamsters in a heartbeat. That is the way it is.
[And to think, I was seirously considering begging Reddaway hire me anywhere.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen 162P&D,
A rare find is a Local President that is more for the Brothers than for himself. I believe that if the IBT could gain 50k Mexican teamsters they would throw away 30k USA teamsters in a heartbeat. That is the way it is.
[And to think, I was seirously considering begging Reddaway hire me anywhere.]
The IBT has already thrown away all of the US Teamsters in exchange for millions of cheap , non union illegal Mexican truckers. Just look at the policy positions of all the candidates the IBT supports.

My heart bleeds for alot of you guys. You showed up at our picket line and hung out with us. The guys I am talking about know all about strike line tamales and thanksgiving meal. You supported our strike line and I feel really sorry for the situation you are in. You stood strongh and voted down their crap. Now I hate to say your little corner of the world may not be enough. YRC does not know what they are doing if they try to remove Reddeway from the local landscape. I hope for the best for all of you.

My heart bleeds for alot of you guys. You showed up at our picket line and hung out with us. The guys I am talking about know all about strike line tamales and thanksgiving meal. You supported our strike line and I feel really sorry for the situation you are in. You stood strongh and voted down their crap. Now I hate to say your little corner of the world may not be enough. YRC does not know what they are doing if they try to remove Reddeway from the local landscape. I hope for the best for all of you.

I completely agree with truckchick , And as I have said before , any teamsters who move into a Reddaway barn to haul their freight is an effing scaab.

WOW aren't you the observant one !!! I posted that 20 day's ago and you bring it up now ? Things change !!!!!!!!!!! That article you quote was from today NOT TWENTY DAY"S AGO as the post of mine was from !!!!
Although you have never acknowledged that what I started this thread with was not false, as you repeatedly labeled me with "internet troll." Seems as though things have changed. And It's not over yet.

What I know is that about 15-17 years ago there was a merger between Reddaway and United Truck Lines. Reddaway was Union and some United was Union. There was argument about whether the non-union United people should dovetail or end tail.

I hope that makes sense.
This is also reinforced with the controversy that has surrounded a TAC SEA merge. The union has made it clear that the non union TAC would dovetail into union SEA. Not a rule favorable with the SEA and POR teamsters.

when two companies merge as one in a buy it's a dovetail..Yellow-Roadway..
ABF-Carolina

when two companies are owned by a parent company and operate separately
YRC-New Penn and the parent company closes New Penn it's an end-tail

hypothetically and sympathetically speaking of course

:nono_h4h:​
There is is nothing to support the difference between the two situations you have described.

Troll?....1st post?..ok listen up people anyone who posts for the first time and has any info please pass it on to a senior guy...you must only post any important stuff after we vote on you.....otherwise you will get called a troll and get a pic of a fat slob?...welcome to trucking boards....

..you must only post any important stuff after we vote on you........
I'm not sure what this means. You mean vote to approve me a member here?
The word vote carries some heavy weight in the trucking industry these days.
I think you're being facetious, in which case I'll laugh along with you.:LMAO: