Reddaway | YRC finally pulls the plug

What was the deal when Yellow bought Adley Express ?What did they do then? Anyone remember?

wow Adley Express was just down the street from me as kid..same street. They just changed shirts. The Yellow steward was an old Adley driver. He put about 35 years in with Yellow before he retired..a little trivia-the present steward is an x-Roadway who couldn't make the list

When YF bought a company where they did not already have a ongoing operation their was no change for employees.
I know of a few small cartage company's out West went from non union to master freight on these buy outs.
Note for the younger crowd : Back in the day people stood in line for a union job. All the non union workers wanted a master freight job.

Not the ones that vote,its the ones that
voted no back in oct 09. You know the ones I called GREEDY,It is those barns that thought they shouldnt take a pay cut when the rest of us did,including the So cal union barns...

I love this logic. If they are strong enough to vote against a concession they are "greedy". That sounds like "sour grapes" to me. No wonder we can't organize anymore with this type of "brotherhood" amongst members. Why should a profitable division take a pay cut just because a non-profitable division voted to take one? For that matter why did ANYONE vote for concessions? Did they (YRC) actually present a plan that changed anything but our pay and the future (LOWER) payouts of our pensions? NO, absolutely not! Why would anyone believe that the management at YRC has the ability, or for that matter, the desire to make this conglomerate successful? Could it be they just voted to postpone their fears a little while longer? 75000 teamster jobs at the time of the USF purchase, 25000 jobs today. What do you think they intend for us? And the IBT is out promoting this for them??????

So just a question. If Reddaway wasn't involved the in vote today why were they threatened with closure if they did not vote for approval?:confused:

funny but il bet the local knew this way b4 the vote and should of let the brothers know dont ya think?

YRC notified Local 162 that the plan was to close Portland and Seattle operations later in the year if the vote went through

I agree. Just reread the letter. If the vote passed, per the letter, Reddaway Portland and Seattle will be closed as part of the restructuring process. This will remove the union from Reddaway altogether. Then they can run Reddaway as a nonunion trucking company. The first overt move to remove the union from YRCW.

I agree. Just reread the letter. If the vote passed, per the letter, Reddaway Portland and Seattle will be closed as part of the restructuring process. This will remove the union from Reddaway altogether. Then they can run Reddaway as a nonunion trucking company. The first overt move to remove the union from YRCW.

No Reddaway has union terminals in CA. Redding, CA is union. They run to Medford with FON, and LA trailers.

19 of the 21 Reddaway Terminals closed in Texas,Louisiana,Oklahoma and New Mexico were Union.

YRC notified Local 162 that the plan was to close Portland and Seattle operations later in the year if the vote went through

I'm not sure what letter you are talking about. The one I have access to is from local 162 to the membership, and doesn't say anything about the consequences of the vote, only that they would be shut down later this year and the union demanded to bargain the decision and it's effects.

I'm not sure what letter you are talking about. The one I have access to is from local 162 to the membership, and doesn't say anything about the consequences of the vote, only that they would be shut down later this year and the union demanded to bargain the decision and it's effects.

Letter dated Octomber 1st

Earlier today Teamsters Local 162 was informed in writing by YRC of what they are calling a "tentative decision" of closure of the USF Reddaway Portland and Seattle Line Terminal Facilities.

On behalf of our affected members, Local 162 immediately responded by sending YRC a letter of demand to bargain both the decision and its effects on the membership. YRC states they are prepared to meet and discuss their decision and consider proposals from the Union.

YRC did not provide Local 162 with an exact date of closure but YRC did state, "The Company anticipates implementing these actions later this year in coordination with the anticipated restructuring of YRC Inc.

We will keep you updated with new information as it becomes available.

I agree with you that the Union is demanding the right to bargain this decision, but isn't the "restructuring of YRC" what was just voted on?

Not necessarily, it was only the teamsters part. I do think that the original letter to the union and the response to members ( that you posted above) implied that their should be some talks, remember they were the terminals that voted down the last concessions. The vote that was just taken was only a part, albeit a rather large part, of the total plan that has to happen. They need all of the pension funds and some financial institutions to agree on this as well. But nothing in the letter stated that their decision to close depended on this vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. It is only implied. And because Portland and Seattle refused to take the 15% wage cut now they are being threatned with closure. Lets hope the union can save all these jobs. If they get merged into YRC my guess is that they will be endtailed so all Reddaway drivers will lose their jobs. A lot of good men will be out of work. I HOPE I AM WRONG.

Agreed. It is only implied. And because Portland and Seattle refused to take the 15% wage cut now they are being threatned with closure. Lets hope the union can save all these jobs. If they get merged into YRC my guess is that they will be endtailed so all Reddaway drivers will lose their jobs. A lot of good men will be out of work. I HOPE I AM WRONG.
The freight business is overated. Time to start looking in different directions to support a family.

Maybe closing Reddaway would be for the best , yes we would lose most of that freight to Fed Ex and others but we would pick up some of it at YRC and fill out our capacity at no loss. More runs for us YRC guys to the northwest , less empty trailers. Dovetail the union Reddaway guys in and ship the nons down the road. Sounds like a win-win situation !

If those two terminals are closed, you effectively close all of Reddaway.