YRC Freight is Hiring Across the Nation!!!

Discussion in 'Truck Drivers Wanted' started by YRC Freight, Jun 18, 2014.

1. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

Could one of you fellows explain what a hog board is? I always heard that term but never knew what it was.

2. Sugarfoot

Sugarfoot " I'm just a truck driver "

The correct term is "SENIORITY BOARD" It means that everyone on the board will realign by their seniority at a time agreed to by the Union and Company. Most Companies did it at noon or midnight.

Now here is the problem. If it's a large Extra Board, say 100 plus m/w, with say 50 at home and the work slows down. You could be next to be called with low seniority as a fairly new hire. When the board "turns", you go into your seniority position and as long as senior m/w are off rest they go out ahead of you. This occurs every day,...hence the slang term "HOG BOARD". You may not get out till Thursday when the senior m/w are out of time or marked off.

When I worked for a small LTL...14 terminals, I was the bottom man of 10 road drivers, at my terminal. I was the last man out every night, no matter when I got in every morning...around 1700-1900, but worked every night. In much larger barns that is not the case.

Cornbinder and grocerythrower like this.
  3. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

Sugarfoot, I appreciate that, I felt kind of silly asking but I really wanted to know. Now I understand what the slang term means, I guess on one of those boards its good to be king, bad to be on the low end.

Thank you again!!

Cornbinder and Sugarfoot like this.
  4. troubleman84

troubleman84 Well-Known Member

On that kind of board it's better to let your lifestyle grow with your seniority. Hard to pay bills and raise kids when you don't start work until thursday or Fridays and by then you should be looking for layoff.

5. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Part time Coop Dispatch driver

Could also be called greed board????

Hardball and The Best like this.
  6. Sugarfoot

Well, it's like everything in life. Some benefit and some suffer. Is it fair for a new hire to work and earn as much or more than say a 5 yr. member on a "Wheel Board" ? The newbie has to look to the future and realize that he/she won't always be at the bottom. Like we would say in Jersey,..." If you want to start at the top, get a job digging a hole". Seniority is the only thing we have, everything is based on it, it must and should prevail.

ps. I threw the jersey quote in just for your pleasure. :hide: :lmao:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    ESP, Bruno, Cornbinder and 1 other person like this.
  7. BIG R GUY

Everyone out hear says Jersey is a whole???? Whats that all about???

The Best likes this.
  8. Hoodock

Hoodock Well-Known Member

Still!!!

9. Infidel

Infidel Active Member

I worked on a "hog Board" at CF. There was no such thing as realigning the board. The senior most driver available at the time of need was offered what work that they had. The first 2 years sucked, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and maybe Monday if Sunday's trip was an overnighter. I got hired when things were booming and guys were retiring at a decent rate. After 2 years the work got more steady and eventually worked my way onto a bid.

Sugarfoot likes this.
  10. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

There is what we call a "hog board" in the city driving ranks also. In the city, the "hog board" are those high seniority guys who will stay and work the dock to get their 60 hours in, while watching the lower seniority guys get sent home on their eight each night or not even working each day. 40 hours for the low seniority, and 60 hours for the "hog board".
    Seniority prevails, I know............but so does greed.

hanalad and The Best like this.
  11. Sugarfoot

I hear you Flash, and see these same situations. I try not to pass judgement on People. You never know what they're up against or going through. You're correct, seniority cuts both ways. I have taken shorter trips and had junior Men complain that they wanted to be done earlier! Sometimes, you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Northern Flash likes this.
  12. BIG R GUY

And then there are those of all seniority time, milking their route out to 12 hours a day, and get away with it daily. That is greed.

13. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

Yep. I watched it for years. As long as the "clock suckers" greased the TM's ass each day, they could do whatever they wanted. They entered the terminal through the dispatch office versus through the employee entrance. :butt kiss:

One of those on our "hog board" would watch us city guys get forced to go home on our eight hours, so that he could get his (exact) 12 hour day. Then after we were forced out, ten minutes later he'd leave and go home. Then I heard that he was laughing about it and bragging how "that's what seniority gets you". I eventually had to tell him that he was taking food off my family's table, and if it continued, his overtime money was going to need to be spent on his dental work.

series60 likes this.
  14. a9faninnc

a9faninnc Super Moderator Staff Member

Every company have a few of them guys.I think some just live above their means and need 60 a week just to pay the bills..

series60 and Sugarfoot like this.
  15. BIG R GUY

Of course you also have some of these guys using the excuse,"YRC owes me" mentality....

Sugarfoot likes this.
  16. chUSMC

chUSMC Saving souls and licking holes!

Yrc is not what it used to be for sure but it still is better than many other driving jobs out there today, especially non Union gigs where the most senior driver has only been there for maybe 5 or so years..... The state of the fleet is dilapidated for sure but the last two years they've been bringing in quite a few new 2014 and 2015 Volvo units and the free healthcare is by far still better than most other companies; especially when I hear fedex and r&l weekly premiums around 80-100 bucks.... I'm not defending YRC I'm just calling a spade a spade, I agree it's far from great anymore, but it still has many perks most other jobs other than maybe ups and abf don't have..... I think management under dollars ran it into the ground and many drivers who couldn't even get a job at McDonald's can also be held accountable for its downfall as well.:..:BUT the answer now Is to do reorganize the way the the company operates and hope it continues to turn around the way it's been financially doing for th past two or three years, because if it does, it could be a pretty good gig IMO , but a lot needs to happen before this can be said for sure.... I think it's still a better gig than any nonunion company though for sure, this is likely a testament though to how crappy the entire industry is for drivers everywhere, except maybe at ups

The Best, Getoverit and SuperCourse like this.
  17. SuperCourse

SuperCourse Well-Known Member

Hey Al, back in the day if we'd have been called together and they had a Bangor and a Beantown to bed, you'd have been going to the pine tree.

Sugarfoot likes this.
  18. FREEDOM WARRIOR

FREEDOM WARRIOR New Member

Union unstability

chUSMC likes this.
  19. chUSMC

chUSMC Saving souls and licking holes!

Regardless of the negative posts, after working OTR, for NEMF and briefly at UPS Freight where I worked 2 days a week all year round, YRC is the best job I've ever had in the 8 years I've been driving.... Regardless of the past it's gotten a lot better over the years and in a crappy industry to work in in general nowadays, I wouldn't work anywhere else, even with the all its defects, it's got more positives, proud to be a teamster and proud to be at YRC, still better than most other jobs out there....

20. Sugarfoot

Very true, nice post Brother. We have a couple from ODFL and Pitt-Ohio in Hsbg. 135 and UPSF Drivers that left us a year ago coming back here on weekends to work because they are so slow.

chUSMC likes this.