YRC I-64 fatal accident

Any time of the year is bad for anything like this,however at this time of year it is especially horrible.

"Lord comfort the survivors,& hold tight the memories of your loved ones,in Jesus name,AMEN."

Another sad story....YRC drivers are among the best out here, probably got into a situation beyond his control. Slow vehicles coming straight off the shoulders/ramps suddenly leave a driver NO PLACE to go. I've had it happen to me numerous times, that's why I'll grab another lane, if I can when I see another vehicle on the side highway or a slow one entering the highway. Maybe the driver couldn't get over because of another vehicle alongside. Heck of a choice to make in a split second.

I suspect that the real truth about the cause of this tragedy will never be known, but as one of my pet peeve, I will bet you a dollar to a donut that I know what happened. Here comes the merging traffic without any regard of yielding or even looking, the attitude of "get out of my way, here I come" is overpowering the brain. And most likely this accident was the result.

I got to be honest. I don't slow down, I will move to the left if I can, if not I never let up and actually I have put some vehicles looking for a place to go when they realize that their attitude has got them in trouble. I hold my lane, maintain my speed and if the poor merging traffic has no where to go, that is their problem.

Only one person knows what really happened, that person will have to live with the incident for the rest of his life, I know for a fact, every January 6th at 1900hrs, I think about it, every time I drive by the same spot, I think about it, I can close my eyes and vividly recall the look on that persons face. A heavly intoxicated person laying in the road, I had no where to go, a micro second to decide, on coming traffic, take it into the trees, or try to serve and miss. You just don't know. The WV State Police will reconstruct the accident and issue a report, There will be lawsuits, lives ruined, could this all have been adverted who knows. Didn't something like this happen to another YRC driver south of INDY about a year ago?....We work in a DANGEROUS EVIRONMENT, that I cannot wait to get out of quick enough!

Only one person knows what really happened, that person will have to live with the incident for the rest of his life, I know for a fact, every January 6th at 1900hrs, I think about it, every time I drive by the same spot, I think about it, I can close my eyes and vividly recall the look on that persons face. A heavly intoxicated person laying in the road, I had no where to go, a micro second to decide, on coming traffic, take it into the trees, or try to serve and miss. You just don't know. The WV State Police will reconstruct the accident and issue a report, There will be lawsuits, lives ruined, could this all have been adverted who knows. Didn't something like this happen to another YRC driver south of INDY about a year ago?....We work in a DANGEROUS EVIRONMENT, that I cannot wait to get out of quick enough!

What happened last year was a drunk driver in a 4 wheeler was northbound on southbound I 65 and hit head on to an Indy driver. Our driver was off a couple of weeks to heal up.

What happened last year was a drunk driver in a 4 wheeler was northbound on southbound I 65 and hit head on to an Indy driver. Our driver was off a couple of weeks to heal up.
I thought it was a CR England driver who came straight off the shoulder, from a dead stop, maybe it happened to another outfit!

I thought it was a CR England driver who came straight off the shoulder, from a dead stop, maybe it happened to another outfit!

I believe that one was north of Indy around Lebanon. I am a little sketchy on the details, however.

The issue is that HARDLY anyone pays attention to it anymore, most states are taking the signs down.....most truck drivers assume that other drivers will make way as a matter of courtesy...however that always can't be the case due to traffic issues...just a sign of the times I guess.

Please let's not change the sudject matter.let's remember John....He was a great guy.I got to know him thru the NCTDC&MAPTDA Make a Wish.Such a kind harded man.Alway's had a smile on his face&alway's would take the time to stop&listen&help another driver out when need'd.Such a sad end of life to such a great person.Atleast he died doing what he loved.Prayer's to his son&all the family involved.RIP "JC"

How many times we see it, I do notice most of us carriers now using the 4 ways if not going to make it to speed. It is much quicker to notice the situation. But many times I see those trucks, ramp or not driving well below speed with no warning signals....Sad, I Feel for the YRC families.
What ever happened to yielding before merging into traffic??????

No wonder why we have special interest groups that lobby to the FMCSA for more regulations. We have morons like this driver who merged out onto the highway at 20 mph in front of traffic.

No wonder why we have special interest groups that lobby to the FMCSA for more regulations. We have morons like this driver who merged out onto the highway at 20 mph in front of traffic.
I place the blame on the state of West Virginia. To have an acceleration lane that short is pitiful. Considering that west Virginia can't even get up the funds to finish off US 35., they should beholding holding their heads low!

I agree, WVa has some of the shortest accel/decell lanes in the country, along with some of the steepest. I have traveled that same route in both directions many times over the years, it has it's share of accidents. You are right about US 35...WTF!!!! Real fun in the winter time!

I totally agree, if I am ahead of them coming off the ramp, I hold my ground, keep the same speed, and if they do not know how to properly merge onto the highway, they will learn quick, especially when a tractor trailer is coming your way. They need to slow down, and get behind you, but we all know, 4 wheelers do not like to get behind us, And especially when these 4 wheelers do not use their turn signals getting onto the highway really pisses me off the most. I like when they expect you to move over onto the other lane, then only for them to not let you or anyone behind them to let you back over, screw them bastards. The more you change lanes, the more you set yourself up for an accident.

I place the blame on the state of West Virginia. To have an acceleration lane that short is pitiful. Considering that west Virginia can't even get up the funds to finish off US 35., they should beholding holding their heads low!

Doesn't matter how short the acceleration lane is. That doesn't give you an excuse to not pay attention.