YRC I-64 fatal accident

You hit that nail dead on the head.
It's like you NEVER came up a short steep ram....and of course you stopped at the top,....you were hoping all the way to the top that someone would move over to let you ease on.
BTW....were you DRIVER OF THE YEAR when you 1st started out driving?
I'm not placing fault, but a combination of events resulted in a driver being killed, 65 years old, ready for retirement, we can only speculate....I can't wait to get out of this industry!

It's like you NEVER came up a short steep ram....and of course you stopped at the top,....you were hoping all the way to the top that someone would move over to let you ease on.
BTW....were you DRIVER OF THE YEAR when you 1st started out driving?
I'm not placing fault, but a combination of events resulted in a driver being killed, 65 years old, ready for retirement, we can only speculate....I can't wait to get out of this industry!

I always stop at the top of a ramp if I cannot merge safely. I also keep an eye on that lane I'm merging onto and try to match the speed of traffic flow first, and 99% of the time someone will move over or slow down. I slow down that other 1% of the time. Jumping in front of traffic without looking is a death wish.

To say this is tragic is an understatement however it seems like the definition of merging onto a hiway has no changed to "Bogarting" my way onto the hiway. I can remember decades ago when you were coming down the ramp, if another big rig couldnt move over they slowed or at least gave you the lights. That seems to have dissapeared. Our trucks are governed at 64 and sometimes i do have to shut it down on the ramp and the lousy part of it is no-one is to the left of the trucker running the rt. lane. Sorry but this is new mentallity of Me Me driving punto finali !

The ABF driver did nothing wrong. I drive the same way. If I'm going the speedlimit, I'm not going to slam on my brakes to let you on the highway, and if I can't move over a lane I won't. It's your responsibility to pay attention and follow the traffic laws. You have to yield when merging, not the vehicles in the lane you're merging onto.

The ABF driver did nothing wrong. I drive the same way. If I'm going the speedlimit, I'm not going to slam on my brakes to let you on the highway, and if I can't move over a lane I won't. It's your responsibility to pay attention and follow the traffic laws. You have to yield when merging, not the vehicles in the lane you're merging onto.

What ABF Driver?

"The new breed of drivers," both big trucks and four wheelers, do not study or practice the MENTAL skills of driving, only the motion skills of operating a vehicle. "Old school" drivers had t know when to dim headlights, signal turns and lane changes, merging, etc. Newer drivers don't know sh-t about really driving. Just my opinion.

"The new breed of drivers," both big trucks and four wheelers, do not study or practice the MENTAL skills of driving, only the motion skills of operating a vehicle. "Old school" drivers had t know when to dim headlights, signal turns and lane changes, merging, etc. Newer drivers don't know sh-t about really driving. Just my opinion.

No kidding. The new breed of truckers don't even know the difference between P&DC, short haul, line haul, etc. It's enough to make me want to bang my head up against the side of my truck. The stupidity of this new breed brought the industry down.