ABF | YRC Mc Reynolds Lie

I don’t think anyone truly believes ABFS lost 21Million in the first Quarter of 2013. Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors, and more smoke and mirrors!

Ok, you believe the numbers are smoke and mirrors. We are making a gigantic decision on whether to approve or decline this contract. Can we get more specifics on the smoke and mirrors?

Ms McReynolds is not your good old guy Robert Young when it comes to money management. You boys peed her off in 2010. This was an act of war. Now that changed everything. If they ain't making enough money nobody is making enough money. You are being attacked on both flanks, union on one side McReynolds on the other. Man your battle-stations.

If......ummmm....YRC was to purchase ABF........if anyone was to purchase ABF,....don't you think that one of the first acts of the purchasing company would be to eliminate the 'Deadwood"? .....Don't need 2 CEO's,....or most top management. Bye-bye Ms. McReynolds........and Mr. Slagle,....and pretty much all of the top management staff. Now.......in the "event" of a so-called valid offer of sale.......don't you think the rats would be deserting the sinking ship?....or is Ms. McReynolds going to stick around until Mr. Welch personally fires her? All this talk about "sale",...and "stock price" is purely conjecture.......and go ask a stockbroker about conjecture. You can twist the figures up, down, inside-out, over and under, and come up with pretty much any scenario you want to scare yourself with......THAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF THE RUMOR OF A SALE!.....When you see ABF top management leaving.......then you might have some validity in a sale.. Watch what they do, not what they say! Vote with your eyes, not your ears! Management has no loyalty other than to a dollar.....they are not like rank-and-file, who actually do have company pride and loyalty. Ms. McReynolds said she isn't compensated as well as her "peers" in other trucking companies,......she threatened to leave if she wasn't compensated better. Did she leave?....or is she sticking around for that compensation coming her way? And......if we go beyond the extension without a contract,....a "NO" vote,say.....well then negotiations continue unless the Union or the company declares an "Impasse" in negotiations. When they do that,....it is perfectly legal to have spot strikes on LOCAL matters,....you can scatter strikes all across the U.S. and Canada,...declare a strike over unclean restrooms for 24 hours,....and then go back....Disastrous, right?......Would we be "sellable" then? Read your Labor laws. A lot of you guys act like we are old-time slaves on a plantation,...to be bought and sold at our owners' whim, if we don't have a contract. Not True.......unless you want to conjecture yourself into that position. Watch what w happens at the end of the month, ...and see if the word "Impasse" is strenuously avoided. There will be another extension.

YRC is the only carrier that would benefit from an ABF buy. First off they would have to pay a premium to shareholders to have them (shareholders) agree to the sale. Second the top share holders work in Fort Smith Ark so they become millionaires after the sale and continue to manage the company for a short period as a separate entity. YRC would effectively be reducing competition and capacity while acquiring a top of the carrier to enhance the YRC network in the name of improving density with reduced labor costs. The top dogs at Fort Smith want you to vote no

The executives of ABF like other corporations have a "Golden Parachute" clause in their contract. Should the company be sold/taken over they would be offered a position with the acquiring company or receive a hug sum. It would be their choice. ABF paid millions over the years to executives of companies they acquired. That is how a corporation is set up. The hostile takeover attempt on ABC years ago proved that Bob Young cared about the company his grandfather founded. He could have taken the money & retired a wealthy man but he chose to keep the company. Many of the management people care about the company as do hourly employees. They have been with the company for a better part of their life & have "Skin in the game" & bleed green. I am sure some in management as well as some hourly employees have little or no loyalty to the company. Those loyal to the company is the reason ABF has survived deregulation & the takeover attempt.

YRC is the only carrier that would benefit from an ABF buy. First off they would have to pay a premium to shareholders to have them (shareholders) agree to the sale. Second the top share holders work in Fort Smith Ark so they become millionaires after the sale and continue to manage the company for a short period as a separate entity. YRC would effectively be reducing competition and capacity while acquiring a top of the carrier to enhance the YRC network in the name of improving density with reduced labor costs. The top dogs at Fort Smith want you to vote no
Think its time for you to go bye-bye

Think its time for you to go bye-bye

It's time for you to go buy a newspaper. A buck and a quarter. It won't change your life style. Say again how everything is a lie

Which contract (YRC or ABF) would you rather work under if you "had" to pick one and why?

OK, as I have said before, the 2 are apples and oranges...one is about survival, the other about greed.
YRC's ends in march 2015, and we are to go back to top wage....if ABF's is voted in, they will wave that POS contract in our faces and we will never (ALL OF US) be back in a top wage progression again....so you see, YRC members want ABF members to make a stand and vote it down to save ALL of our future wages and benefits....not so YRC "MIGHT" by YRC....don't be fooled!....KK

OK, as I have said before, the 2 are apples and oranges...one is about survival, the other about greed.
YRC's ends in march 2015, and we are to go back to top wage....if ABF's is voted in, they will wave that POS contract in our faces and we will never (ALL OF US) be back in a top wage progression again....so you see, YRC members want ABF members to make a stand and vote it down to save ALL of our future wages and benefits....not so YRC "MIGHT" by YRC....don't be fooled!....KK

Respectfully disagree. At one time they were the exact same apple. When YRCW was allowed both the wage concession and 75% reduction in pension contribution NMFA forever disappeared and they became different type of apples but definitely still an apple. To keep the fruit reference, I would compare union LTL's as the apples and the oranges would be the non-union LTL's.

Please read Mr. Welch's comments addressing the concerns raised by YRCW drivers about the possibility of his company purchasing another company while the concessions are in effect. YRCW&ABF Proposal 001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Specifically, he says "our wages need to be competitive, which they now are, in order for our business to be stable and competitive." I really don't understand how on earth you or anyone else believes they will some how be competitive enough in early 2015 to increase what they pay every employee by increasing their salary and pensions contributions "conservatively" $20,000 per employee. The ABF concession amounts to roughly $4500 for an employee making the same estimated average salary of $60,000.

You also distinguish ABF's motives as greed and YRC's as survival. Both companies have lost many millions of dollars the last 5 years while one company continued its full contractual obligations and the other didn't. Please think about that in the big picture as we progress through the very interesting times we live.

I stand corrected on my statement. It has been reported. I do however after more research challenge her statement in the letter to us employees. The meeting took place in March, we were told that by Law she had to report it, In the Report it was stated she acknowledged and reported due to a third party inquiry. If it is so vital and required by law why wait two months until the negotiations at a critical point? My overall point and I am not afraid or fear anything, my vote is hell no!!!,,, But this is all a scam, a tactic by Welch a WallStreet genius and Mc Reynolds a Walmart/number cruncher to bust us and scare us and further benefit Yellow.. The Leadership of this weak union bought the BS and sold us out.. A number was thrown on the table and the way to obtain it was to give our wages and vacation away and subcontract 6%.. the companies answer is sacrifice, we all do it.... I also might point out it has been widely talked about that no document was filed, now bingo, May 8, a document....... also it was mentioned a 500 million dollar offer,,, company has a billion in assets, 140 million in debt,, for 500 million? in a one hour meeting between welch and mcreynolds,, now that's some fast talking!!! man I think I will go to YRC and work for that magic kingdom!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Respectfully disagree. At one time they were the exact same apple. When YRCW was allowed both the wage concession and 75% reduction in pension contribution NMFA forever disappeared and they became different type of apples but definitely still an apple. To keep the fruit reference, I would compare union LTL's as the apples and the oranges would be the non-union LTL's.

Please read Mr. Welch's comments addressing the concerns raised by YRCW drivers about the possibility of his company purchasing another company while the concessions are in effect. YRCW&ABF Proposal 001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Specifically, he says "our wages need to be competitive, which they now are, in order for our business to be stable and competitive." I really don't understand how on earth you or anyone else believes they will some how be competitive enough in early 2015 to increase what they pay every employee by increasing their salary and pensions contributions "conservatively" $20,000 per employee. The ABF concession amounts to roughly $4500 for an employee making the same estimated average salary of $60,000.

You also distinguish ABF's motives as greed and YRC's as survival. Both companies have lost many millions of dollars the last 5 years while one company continued its full contractual obligations and the other didn't. Please think about that in the big picture as we progress through the very interesting times we live.

With the problem being the apples are rotting away.

Jeff, I am going to agree & disagree with you. Like you I think that without concessions YRC would not exist today. I don't think ABF's motive is greed. The company simply cannot compete with YRC's 15% wage cut & 25% pension payment especially with the discounting that is going on. Even with the lower wages that gives YRC an advantage ABF could compete if freight rates were not discounted. The low freight rates simply make the playing field even more unlevel.

I am still voting HELL NO. all the B.S. going around is not going to change the fact that this is a P.O.S. contract that needs to be voted down, and sent back to the drawing room.

Another one who thinks we go back to full wages in 2015!

The question would be what,...as determined by the IBT ,...would be full wages? There is no NMFA. There is an ABF NMFA,...this is now company-specific. Half of the changes in the contract are language changes to reflect that this agreement is now a single-employer agreement. I think the IBT suckered the YRC employees again by allowing the NMFA to disappear. If we vote this in,.....as an ABF NMFA,....then that is effectively the end of a 50 year old labor agreement covering a field of labor,....not specific employers. The original thought behind a national unified wage and benefit standard was that companies could not gain a competitive advantage,....in the days of the ICC and heavily regulated freight lanes,....by undercutting employees' wages and benefits. This was established 25 years before de-regulation. Well......here we are,......and the bean-counters win again. There is a difference between a profitably run trucking company, and a company that compares it's profitability to it's competitors. AS COMPARED to Estes, OD, Conway,....and YRC.......ABF is "losing" money. Yes,....I know the SEC filings, the stock report, the income tax filings all show a "loss"..............just the same way YRC's filings and stock report showed a "loss",......and everyone believed it,....until 4 years later, when they have,....suddenly,....$451 million for another carrier purchase, and a half-million a month to pay for IBT-appointed special watch-dogs,...and their employees working massive overtime,...and their company giving away hundreds of freight bills a week because they can't cover them,...and their stock rising pretty fast because they cut heavily their employees' compensation, and can now give the non-Unions a run for their money.........they sure don't act like a failing company. I've been through 9 company failures,......and YRC never acted like it was failing, in my opinion. Neither does ABF. They both act like carriers who are planning to increase their bottom line at the expense of their employees,.....irregardless of how profitable they are. We are being suckered. The YRC employees are being,....and have been,....suckered. The non-Unions, who have nowhere near the benefits, or wages, or even overtime pay, that we have,.........well, maybe they were born suckers. 60 hours a week with no overtime pay, a "health care" surcharge to "maintain" insurance, and all the liability in the world on public streets in the most fatal occupation in the United States,........in the 21st century?............Yup,....born suckers,...........And our bosses want us to "compete" with them,.....to make themselves,....and the shareholders rich.....I guess this vote will prove if we're born suckers, too.

Nothing personal but I'll hold the line for you just like you did for us. I can see what happened there has done me no harm.