XPO | YRC, Teamsters agree to unit’s exit from next-day delivery business

I hate the thought of the drivers losing their jobs at YRC, but I must say, I didn't expect them to stay on life support this long. I'm not convinced however, that changing the business model to essentially drop market share in next day lanes to increase market share in longer lanes will do anything to increase revenue. The new wave of logistics and warehousing makes next day lanes almost essential to any business, including the trucking industry. They need cash, and they need it now. IMO the only way they are surviving is because the union is keeping them alive with concessions. Eventually, the union will have had enough and YRC will pack it in. I will assume the people steering that ship know more than me, but in my eyes it just doesn't make any sense. They can not continue to operate assets larger than their competitors, yet increase revenue while decreasing market share, its economics 101 in my eyes.

But thier side companies make good money. It is YRC that is the money pit. By reducing the YRC part of YRC, they are making the whole of YRC stronger.

Another article that says in a year a half YRC will go under. I have been reading these for 3 years now.

YRC will stay alive until the pension payments are no longer extended and they are forced to pay up.

YRC will stay alive until the pension payments are no longer extended and they are forced to pay up.

That doesn't make any sense at all. They will never pay up. Because what you said at the beginning. It would be the end of them. That sentence is all wrong in every way possible.

I think it's just a matter of time now... Maybe they'll wait 'til Labor Day to shut it down just like CF. Wouldn't that be nice?

Actually it wouldn't be like CF. If yrc shuts down its due to its crushing debt. CF shut down because its non union spinoff had bled it to where there was nothing left.

I hate the thought of the drivers losing their jobs at YRC, but I must say, I didn't expect them to stay on life support this long. I'm not convinced however, that changing the business model to essentially drop market share in next day lanes to increase market share in longer lanes will do anything to increase revenue. The new wave of logistics and warehousing makes next day lanes almost essential to any business, including the trucking industry. They need cash, and they need it now. IMO the only way they are surviving is because the union is keeping them alive with concessions. Eventually, the union will have had enough and YRC will pack it in. I will assume the people steering that ship know more than me, but in my eyes it just doesn't make any sense. They can not continue to operate assets larger than their competitors, yet increase revenue while decreasing market share, its economics 101 in my eyes.

got a structured settlement? you need cash and you need cash now? call jg wentworth and get cash now! LOL

I was talking to one of our FOS's about this. He said that there is a letter from our President (whatever his name is) about this. He does not see it to impact us and he feels that we are not going to get any of their freight. I also talked to one of our DSR's. At most of his stops, we get 4 bills,YRC get 8. If we even pickup 1 or 2 extra bills because of this the system is going to be so blown out that it will be more of a distaster than it is now. Whats everyone elses opinion on this?

IMHO, this is going to be a trend industry wide. With the crushing high cost of fuel, companies will slowly cut-back on expanding next day service points and gradually change many to 2 day points. it will no longer make sense to move any trailer that is not completly full no exceptions no matter what day of the week it is. The best way to accomplish this is expand 2 day service. trailers will more often be broke by daytime dock crews that will not be paid 3rd shift premium, more time for using dunnage to save on claims, and no claim for late service because it's not due as soon.

IMHO, this is going to be a trend industry wide. With the crushing high cost of fuel, companies will slowly cut-back on expanding next day service points and gradually change many to 2 day points. it will no longer make sense to move any trailer that is not completly full no exceptions no matter what day of the week it is. The best way to accomplish this is expand 2 day service. trailers will more often be broke by daytime dock crews that will not be paid 3rd shift premium, more time for using dunnage to save on claims, and no claim for late service because it's not due as soon.
There's no 3rd shift premium at Con-way. Fed Ex either. I hope more companies move away from next day service, more freight for us.

I was talking to one of our FOS's about this. He said that there is a letter from our President (whatever his name is) about this. He does not see it to impact us and he feels that we are not going to get any of their freight. I also talked to one of our DSR's. At most of his stops, we get 4 bills,YRC get 8. If we even pickup 1 or 2 extra bills because of this the system is going to be so blown out that it will be more of a distaster than it is now. Whats everyone elses opinion on this?

Our outbound is running at 100% capacity right now,we are strugling to try to get it done in time to make gate times.
If there was another 2 two 3 shippments per customer added it would bury us.