Holland | YRC The Cancer Of The Trucking Industry

I remember when they were encouraging us to buy company stock, which I foolishly did, and that was said to be treatment for the YRCW Cancer. Then came the stock warrants, (the next form of chemotherapy) which many of the employees were all giddy about. Since then, both stocks and stock warrants could have been used for toilet paper since they all have the same value.
And how about that "equal sacrifice"? Mgt got their pay and benefits package restored, has the Union members?
Those pukes hoodwinked us too many times for my likings.
If I were you guys, I'd never believe another word they said.
Nobody does.

Let's be honest....Truth is ALWAYS somewhere in between. I never worked a union job until I came here and I have seen with my own eyes how entitled Union members have become. NOWHERE else could employees get away with the screwing off on the clock that I see going on here. At any other company they would fire you and call it stealing time...WHICH IT IS. My father raised me to give an honest days work for an honest days wage. Before we criticize the company we should look at ourselves. Having said that...I Firmly believe we should get full pay in 2019. The economy is much better and all the trucking companies are profitable. It's YRCWS job to manage to profitability. If the union stalls on getting the full 15 percent back...we should vote the union out immediately. Now...full pay granted...I have no problem contributing to benefits. 40 or 50 bucks a week is half what the non-union pay for their benefits and let's face it...health insurance isn't getting cheaper...it's getting more expensive. If we go full pay to the tune of 300-400 a week and give 50 bucks per driver towards our benefits...im a happy camper! For the job we do...we would be very well compensated. Let's not be responsible for helping the company die by demanding the world while at the same time as I have heard many drivers say...slow-fu#$<ng the company till retirement. That surely will not get our 15 percent back.

Let's be honest....Truth is ALWAYS somewhere in between. I never worked a union job until I came here and I have seen with my own eyes how entitled Union members have become. NOWHERE else could employees get away with the screwing off on the clock that I see going on here. At any other company they would fire you and call it stealing time...WHICH IT IS. My father raised me to give an honest days work for an honest days wage. Before we criticize the company we should look at ourselves. Having said that...I Firmly believe we should get full pay in 2019. The economy is much better and all the trucking companies are profitable. It's YRCWS job to manage to profitability. If the union stalls on getting the full 15 percent back...we should vote the union out immediately. Now...full pay granted...I have no problem contributing to benefits. 40 or 50 bucks a week is half what the non-union pay for their benefits and let's face it...health insurance isn't getting cheaper...it's getting more expensive. If we go full pay to the tune of 300-400 a week and give 50 bucks per driver towards our benefits...im a happy camper! For the job we do...we would be very well compensated. Let's not be responsible for helping the company die by demanding the world while at the same time as I have heard many drivers say...slow-fu#$<ng the company till retirement. That surely will not get our 15 percent back.
I believe what you are seeing is demoralized workers that no longer have faith in a company that has repeatedly lied to them over the last 10 or so years since Yellow Freight took over a formerly proud and profitable company. When I started at TNT Holland, it was the premier freight company of the industry. Nobody could compete with the service, the customer satisfaction, the very low damage rate, or the profit ratio.
It was very tough to even get a job interview, let alone actually get hired back in the late '80's or early '90's. The background checks were very thorough. Many didn't make it past that. A driver had to have a verifiable 100,000 miles of experience to even be considered. No tickets of any kind for 7 years and no DUI ever. Morale was high. Productivity was high. Safety record was high. Equipment was good.
Then came Yellow Freight in 2005. Everything changed. Now Holland and YRC has the lowest of everything I just noted above. It has a very bad reputation among other drivers and customers all due to the takeover by Yellow in 2005. Management changed completely. Nobody wants to work at Holland or YRC anymore. It shows that most feel that Yellow (YRC) is just bleeding Holland dry just like they've done to so many other good companies in the past. Welcome to what used to be a great company to work for. I hope you can help get it back to what it once was. Something not likely to happen while YRC is still pulling the strings and bleeding off the profits.

I suggest that you go back and read post # 1 again. especially paragraph 4. Do the math as to just how much money has already been "given" to Holland's parent company YRC in exchange for paper that's worth practically zero since Jan 2009. The huge amount of money given back has not resulted in much of anything except to keep the patient "YRC" alive on life support in order to keep the big money flowing to the top execs at YRC for their high salaries and huge retirement packages and bonuses - while the employees wages and benefits are going the other way. You say the employees are "milking the clock" and not doing what they are paid to do simply because they are union members. With some, that may be true, but you have to look at the reason why. **** poor morale. **** poor management from the terminal level all the way to the top. Leadership is supposed to set an example to follow. There is no leadership at YRC and never was even when it was still Yellow Freight. I worked at Yellow Freight back in the 80's before coming to TNT Holland. The morale was worse than bad then. Everybody seemed to hate everybody else. When I went out on city peddle routes, all I heard from customers was complaints about poor service and damaged freight and nobody doing anything about it. The morale sucked then and it still sucks now. The only thing that changed is that now, since 2005, Yellow (YRC) has completely taken a formerly great company down to their level. The older guys that were at Holland prior to the Yellow 2005 takeover see it and don't like it. Therefore, now morale sucks at Holland, too.

So Henry...YOU read the paragraph. It was GIVEN. Everyone had a vote. Nothing justifies dishonesty and/or laziness. We have an opportunity comming up to get that money back. It will be a give and take as all negotiations are. My suggestions is...show them we are worth it. Any employee who is so upset about the company and has a CDL but still here is lying on this thread. They have every opportunity to leave and have not. What does that say? They have hope. So let's stop with the negativity. Yes...YRCWS over leveraged themselves and at a bad time on top of it. It has almost destroyed them and their sister companies. YRCWS doing a bit bette . In 2019 we tell them hands down the money comes BACK.

So Henry...YOU read the paragraph. It was GIVEN. Everyone had a vote. Nothing justifies dishonesty and/or laziness. We have an opportunity comming up to get that money back. It will be a give and take as all negotiations are. My suggestions is...show them we are worth it. Any employee who is so upset about the company and has a CDL but still here is lying on this thread. They have every opportunity to leave and have not. What does that say? They have hope. So let's stop with the negativity. Yes...YRCWS over leveraged themselves and at a bad time on top of it. It has almost destroyed them and their sister companies. YRCWS doing a bit bette . In 2019 we tell them hands down the money comes BACK.
The money given since 2009 will not come back. It is gone. All there is to show for it is paper stock worth next to nothing. Read SKullcramp's post # 10 and you'll see why so many keep voting "yes" or don't vote at all. An awful lot of them have 15 to 20 yrs or more invested and are a lot older than you. It's not easy to start over agt age 50 - 55 IF you can get someone to hire you. An awful lot have bad backs or other injuries that prevent starting over so they just want a few more years - then comes the NEXT bunch that only want a few more yrs. It's a never ending cycle that the company loves. I expect the giveback to go on and on (with even MORE co-pays in health and med benefits)

Most admit that the money and pension are never coming back. Has anyone noticed that it's always "Yep, next election, we are getting this and that back". Then it doesn't happen. Then the kicking the can down the road further begins again. "Yep, next election, we are getting this and that back". Then that doesn't happen either. Next thing you know, you have another ten years in and have been screwed out of another $100k.
Whatever. But the last time I checked, "hope" has never paid a single bill.

\ Good post. My own opinion is you'll see more "stock" awards in the next year or so, and then the letters about being on the team will arrive. They'll point out the small percentage of new equipment, ( that it's somehow a "gift" for our patience) and that we're almost there. At worst, another giveback, At best, another 5 years status quo.

. But I think yellow might make it as a non. Having talked to our "limited experience" new hires, I'm batting about 50%. Some are seeing the light, but a lot are not only going to vote yes, they are also right to workers, they have no intention of paying dues, they don't believe in seniority, they feel they're being screwed by the system because "It isn't fair that I don't get the switches, and I get stuck on the 10 stop lift gates. I've been here since October!" Who needs the union? I don't. " This is the best job most of them have ever had. $18.00 bucks to drive a truck? sign me up.With the new hires, yrc may have found the cure for cancer. And since Dr, hoffa wouldn't waste time trying to cure this patient and his insurance ran out, it's on to the next big thing. Logistics!
First- timer is a perfect example of what you just described. He wants desertification. He sees the employees as the bad guys for voting YES and allowing givebacks in 2009. Maybe he's right, but he "has no skin in the game" since he just started at Holland. He doesn't have the many years invested and he doesn't have the $93,000 invested since 2009 like some of the "old timers" do. And he has age and good health on his side. His opinion is seen from a whole different perspective. Nobody thought the givebacks would go on this long and nobody expected the company to come back for even more in 2017. It's like dangling a piece of cheese in front of a mouse just out of reach. The mouse keeps trying to get it, but it is always just out of reach, but the mouse keeps thinking if he runs a little more or a little faster he'll get the cheese. After 8 years the YRC "mice" still haven't got that damn piece of cheese.

Most admit that the money and pension are never coming back. Has anyone noticed that it's always "Yep, next election, we are getting this and that back". Then it doesn't happen. Then the kicking the can down the road further begins again. "Yep, next election, we are getting this and that back". Then that doesn't happen either. Next thing you know, you have another ten years in and have been screwed out of another $100k.
Whatever. But the last time I checked, "hope" has never paid a single bill.

You know what else you can't pay bills with? Health insurance. They love to use that against everyone, "look at the awesome health insurance you have!"...meanwhile, the nonunion competition is making another 5 dollars for every hour worked. Who cares if his health insurance costs 100 bux, that's only 4 hours.

First- timer is a perfect example of what you just described. He wants desertification. He sees the employees as the bad guys for voting YES and allowing givebacks in 2009. Maybe he's right, but he "has no skin in the game" since he just started at Holland. He doesn't have the many years invested and he doesn't have the $93,000 invested since 2009 like some of the "old timers" do. And he has age and good health on his side. His opinion is seen from a whole different perspective. Nobody thought the givebacks would go on this long and nobody expected the company to come back for even more in 2017. It's like dangling a piece of cheese in front of a mouse just out of reach. The mouse keeps trying to get it, but it is always just out of reach, but the mouse keeps thinking if he runs a little more or a little faster he'll get the cheese. After 8 years the YRC "mice" still haven't got that damn piece of cheese.

Allow me to correct your flawed thinking on that. I had an opportunity to go with another non Union carrier paying MORE than Holland. I also saw the deduction on my check each week before they stopped showing it. I also have an opportunity right now to leave and go to Estes or OD at 63 cents per mile. So you see...EVERYONE has skin in the game. We want that 15 percent back just like the rest of you as it affects decisions WE make as far as whether to stay or go. Now...if you all think for a minute that people don't see you cussing the company...down talking your peers...pissing and moaning about how you are going to screw the company. If you think the other half of us who are here HOPING for a recovery and a return to greatness aren't disgusted by your behavior....THINK AGAIN. It is a common subject of conversation and it's not an attractive one. You individuals are a cancer in this company in the same way you she'd light on YRCW as a cancer in LTL. Now...I don't mean to suggest the buy out and subsequent economic factors weren't a set back for you. I'll even go so far as to say it was a devastating set back. MANY Americans fared much worse than you. That is life. It's not always easy. In fact it's SUPPOSED to be tough. So don't think for one second that your attitudes of we gonna burn the place down on our way out the door is an acceptable response. Cowboy up!!! You remind me of these dam snowflake liberals who voted for Hillar . It didn't go their way so they gonna burn the country! Come on guys. We are grown folks. Act like MEN!!! Take your lumps in life and get back after it.

Allow me to correct your flawed thinking on that. I had an opportunity to go with another non Union carrier paying MORE than Holland. I also saw the deduction on my check each week before they stopped showing it. I also have an opportunity right now to leave and go to Estes or OD at 63 cents per mile. So you see...EVERYONE has skin in the game. We want that 15 percent back just like the rest of you as it affects decisions WE make as far as whether to stay or go. Now...if you all think for a minute that people don't see you cussing the company...down talking your peers...pissing and moaning about how you are going to screw the company. If you think the other half of us who are here HOPING for a recovery and a return to greatness aren't disgusted by your behavior....THINK AGAIN. It is a common subject of conversation and it's not an attractive one. You individuals are a cancer in this company in the same way you she'd light on YRCW as a cancer in LTL. Now...I don't mean to suggest the buy out and subsequent economic factors weren't a set back for you. I'll even go so far as to say it was a devastating set back. MANY Americans fared much worse than you. That is life. It's not always easy. In fact it's SUPPOSED to be tough. So don't think for one second that your attitudes of we gonna burn the place down on our way out the door is an acceptable response. Cowboy up!!! You remind me of these dam snowflake liberals who voted for Hillar . It didn't go their way so they gonna burn the country! Come on guys. We are grown folks. Act like MEN!!! Take your lumps in life and get back after it.
I guess if I was in your shoes, I'd feel the same way, but I'd also understand the other side of the opinion held by those that have LOST over $93,000 since Jan 2009 and the working conditions (equipment and idiot supervisors) have gone downhill just as fast as the stock prices over the last 3 month period. Seems like the $93,000 "investment" the company (YRC) got since 2009 from every one of the 32,000 employees, through extortion and coercion of it's employees, is not doing much for the employees, but it IS helping fill the pockets of YRC executives.
extortion - the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats (job loss).
All they've really gotten is lies and a constant run-around and very little return on their investment that was coerced out of them with the threat of job loss if the giveback was voted down. The graph below shows the stock performance even WITH the huge influx of money provided by employees.
. https://www.google.com/webhp?=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS481US485&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=yrc worldwide stock history&*
So IF YRC makes some kind of miraculous come back from the "near dead", YOU will be the benefactor of all those who have given so much.
Stand up at the next Local meeting and say you are in favor of desertification at Holland because you haven't been getting full pay and benefits during your last 2-3 months since you started there. Tell them that you want desertification at Holland if the union does not DEMAND a return of full pay and benefits that Holland employees had prior to Jan 2009. Tell them of the "sacrifices" you are making by even agreeing to work at Holland instead of OD or Estes. See how THAT works out for you. At least show a little appreciation and understanding of all those that have had to put up with the lies, threats of job loss (extortion).

Last edited:
Damn

Henry what we have here is a needed debate between a young and old teamster. Let's face it Henry the future of this union is not in our hands anymore. Firstimers and all our new hires views of moving forward as a Holland driver needs to be heard. I, like yourself are in the minority as TNT Holland originals know what it takes to be at the top of our industry and unfortunately it can not happen with our present owner. We have several very good young guns at our barn that just need the opportunity to have a voice.

"Cowboy up ? ?" "Burn the place down ? ?" also "Damn"

All I can say is - remember what that great American philosopher and connoisseur of Kentucky bourbon once said :
"IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, TRY AGAIN - THEN QUIT. NO USE BEING A DAMN FOOL ABOUT IT" W.C. Fields

Last edited:
Bunch of mice/whackadoos working here now with criminal records. Paper hanging bad check writers, guys arrested for communicating threats, harassment, etc, etc.. Got one guy in the system who was even arrested twice for running around in his personal vehicle with emergency lights on like he thinks he's a cop or something.:scratchhead:

Last edited:
Bunch of mice/whackadoos working here now with criminal records. Paper hanging bad check writers, guys arrested for communicating threats, harassment, etc, etc.. Got one guy in the system who was even arrested twice for running around in his personal vehicle with emergency lights on like he thinks he's a cop or something.:scratchhead:
Wonderful ! ! I guess there's no "vetting" going on at Holland either. If you're still breathing - you are hired !
Next, there will be "prayer rugs" furnished in the break room.

Just a little tidbit of information for those who use "the health insurance" for their best attempt at defending their position.

Other carriers' health insurance weekly cost is anywhere between $30.00 and $125.00 per week. So let's take the high end for an average......and use $100.00 per week for our example.

At $125.00 per week, the non-union linehaul driver that makes $100,000.00 per year, pays $6,500.00 for health insurance, which brings his income down to $93,500 for the year.
At the YRCW shops, the same 100K driver loses -15% of his income, which cost him $15,000, and brings his income down to $85,000.00.

YRCW driver loses $15,000, and the non union loses $6,500.........tell me again where the YRCW driver benefits.:scratchhead:

Until the YRCW companies and the Union fix this, they won't be growing anytime soon.