Holland | YRC to Take 2Q Charges; Affirms Core Earnings Outlook

Benny Hill

I'm Back (kinda)
Credits
YRC Worldwide late Tuesday updated its second quarter 2008 earnings guidance to a range of 55 cents to 65 cents per share, and said the earnings would include net “curtailment gains” of 34 cents a share and a charge for a “significant accident” of 9 cents a share.

Excluding the unusual charges, earning from core operations will be consistent with the company’s previously issued guidance of 30 to 40 per share, YRC said in a statement.

“Our operational execution has been strong, and we are building momentum in spite of the challenging environment,” YRC Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bill Zollars said in a statement.

For the full story click here:

Transport Topics Online | YRC to Take 2Q Charges; Affirms Core Earnings Outlook

I don't know what "guidance" means so I don't get whether this is good or bad. "curtailment gains" sounds bad as well as a “significant accident”.
So is this a good thing or do I need some more ulcer medicine?

I don't know what "guidance" means so I don't get whether this is good or bad. "curtailment gains" sounds bad as well as a “significant accident”.
So is this a good thing or do I need some more ulcer medicine?
I do believe its for the good. 30-40 cents a share is a heck of a lot better than negative numbers again!

What you missed was that Bill Z. told an AP reporter in a phone interview that, " Even though the enviroment is tough and the economy doesn't show signs of improving, we have done a reasonable good job of doing what we say we'd do", then on the WEB TELECAST this morning, 6/18, he says the economy has stabilized, I get a mixed message here, any comments?.

What you missed was that Bill Z. told an AP reporter in a phone interview that, " Even though the enviroment is tough and the economy doesn't show signs of improving, we have done a reasonable good job of doing what we say we'd do", then on the WEB TELECAST this morning, 6/18, he says the economy has stabilized, I get a mixed message here, any comments?.
Well, if it stabilized that doesnt mean it isnt tough at the same time on certain industries. Stabilization basically would lead me to believe that it's niether up or down, not saying thats a good economy though, just stable. Kinda like, "in limbo". Think positive Lumpersam, you always come on here sounding like someone just ran over your dog! There is not a darn thing me or you or anyone else can do about it!!!:1036316054:

as the owner operators and small trucking companys shut down over fuel the ones that make it when things turn better will be able to set higher rates as the ones that hauled the freight at aloss will be gone.

Bad to say, but the cuthroat carriers usually get their payback when fuel prices soar. They negotiate ridiculous rates to get the business, sometimes at a loss, but when fuel skyrockets, they go bankrupt.
Might be a lot of this happening thruout 2008.
That will solidify rates by bringing down overcapacity in trucking.
You can read about curtailment gains and get a better understanding of it. Scroll down to that section on that page. After reading it, you'll see how it applies to YRC now with the COO and non-union buyouts. Read the entire page from the start if you have time as it's interesting.

They claim freight is down 30%,is this true? Some places are very busy some are having hard time getting board cleared by Wednesday. Open- Board drivers say there are no miles ,some are getting 3500 miles ,I think its where you are positioned in the system

Laid Off In Sc

The Insight Of Curtalment And Alpha Make Perfect Sense. I Find Ot Hard To Believe That Usf Is Making Any Money And Dont See The Outlook As Good At All. The Economy Sucks And Freight Sucks And Now Yrcw Makes Money Because Of A Utility Driver I Call Bs With A Capital Bs. Only The Truth!!

Hello All, I'm new to this forum. I thought you might like to read something I ran across a while back. It is very interesting reading and makes me wonder what the 3rd quarter of this year will bring.

YRC Worldwide: A Compelling Short Idea - Seeking Alpha

Have a good one. Pokey from Detroit, Laid-off Linehaul Driver:smilie_132:
Welcome to Truckingboards Pokey, glad to have you. I use Seekingalpha when ever I can because I like to read more than I do listening to the people talk.