Yellow | YRC Worldwide-Could Further Consolidation Lead To A Buyout By UPS?

http://www.joc.com/trucking-logistics/yrcs-zollars-apologizes-teamsters-hoffa_20090722.html
YRC's Zollars Apologizes to Teamsters, Hoffa
July 22, 2009

YRC Worldwide Chairman, President and CEO apologized not once but twice to Teamsters General President James P. Hoffa and union employees.

The first apology came after an article in the July 20 Kansas City Business Journal reported Zollars as saying YRC’s nonunion workers probably won’t take further cuts in pay proposed for union workers.

“YRC is committed to the principle of ‘equal sacrifice’ and will require that our nonunion employees take as much, if not more, cuts in wages and benefits as provided by our union employees,” Zollars wrote in a July 21 letter to Hoffa and YRC employees.

The company’s union workers are voting on a proposed 15 percent wage cut and 18-month blackout on pension contributions. Ballots are due Aug. 6.

Zollars then apologized for a suggestion on the FAQ section of YRC’s Web site that savings from the proposed wage and benefit cuts would be passed on to shippers.

“The intent of the cost savings is to provide the companies with sufficient operating cash to survive the worst economic recession in recent history,” he said in the letter.

He also retracted an July 20 announcement that YRC would enter a home-delivery alliance with Specialized Transportation, or STI, linking YRC’s LTL network with STI’s “final mile” home and office delivery service.

“YRC will not subcontract bargaining unit work” in violation of its contract or its new agreement with the Teamsters, which gives the union more of a say in its operations, Zollars said.

"We recognize that, with more than 8,000 Teamsters on lay-off, residential delivery work must be offered to the bargaining unit."

Contact William B. Cassidy at [email protected].

nOgX0ga.jpg

Trust me!
:17113:

Last edited:
Rumor mill ,is really getting wild now ,on one of the yahoo boards they talk of Amazon is looking to buy a carrier & yrcw is one of them ??:clapping:

Fk ups and the horse it rode in on lol half you guys would be fired in your first 45 days and why on earth would ups buy a company where there drivers are as old as the fleet ageing wore out and out of service they have enough overnite stuff still in service without having to add this roadway and yellow junk to the pile and also there aint to many market places to put 500+ door freight terminals take Bloomington California for example 400 doors on the yrc side and aint no telling how many ups and reddeway has your talking probably a thousand door freight terminal on the east side of L.A lol get real and get into reality of the situation

I got positive proof yesterday that UPS is looking to buy us. Caught this image. Why else would both trailers be loaded on one railroad car? Definitely something going on! :hide:

kNVhG6D.jpg
Lol...funny.that's a ups train.YRCW pays a premium to load guaranteed premium loads.Because supposedly that specific train is not to be delayed.we are talking millions a year to do that byYRCW

what are the wages, health insurance, retirement and grievance rights did you bargain for in your contract? if it's better than what we have, you can represent us next contract.
It's called saving for your own retirement. I'm Canadian, so health insurance is virtually irrelevant to me. I don't need grievance rights because I'm self-employed and can't be made to do anything I don't want to do. Contractually, I operate a tractor trailer for a national carrier, and as long as I do so within the bounds of the law I am secure in this job unless my position is terminated or I choose to leave. And eliminating my position requires terminating an entire operating lane between two service centers that have been open for over a decade.

You can argue that I don't have it as good as you. You might even be right. But I control my own destiny.

It's called saving for your own retirement. I'm Canadian, so health insurance is virtually irrelevant to me. I don't need grievance rights because I'm self-employed and can't be made to do anything I don't want to do. Contractually, I operate a tractor trailer for a national carrier, and as long as I do so within the bounds of the law I am secure in this job unless my position is terminated or I choose to leave. And eliminating my position requires terminating an entire operating lane between two service centers that have been open for over a decade.

You can argue that I don't have it as good as you. You might even be right. But I control my own destiny.
Sounds like the perfect job.

Are you sure that isn't actually the Pennsylvania Deutsche from around Lancaster or Intercourse or Blue Ball?
My an ancestors help found Lancaster County. Only place where you can start out in Virginville, go thru Intercourse to get to Paradise, and end up in Blue Ball or Bird in Hand. It's now the trail of the Straburg RR.

Probably didn't do anything to Officially Found it. But they settled there in the 1660s from Switzerland. First around Marysville. Then the rest moved in the Quarryville area.

Last edited:
My an ancestors help found Lancaster County. Only place where you can start out in Virginville, go thru Intercourse to get to Paradise, and end up in Blue Ball or Bird in Hand. It's now the trail of the Straburg RR.

Probably didn't do anything to Officially Found it. But they settled there in the 1660s from Switzerland. First around Marysville. Then the rest moved in the Quarryville area.

I usually take the road through Virginville on my way to Intercourse and then Paradise.

And referring to non-union drivers as "scabs" is sure to make them want to join the Union right?

Especially when a Scab (Strikebreaker) is someone who crosses a picket line to do the work of those on strike. That's what a Scab is and not a nonunion worker.

I remember back in the 80's Roadway dispatched me (I was a road driver calling in for instructions with an empty enroute back home) to pick up at one of their customers. When I arrived and saw they were on strike I called dispatch and was informed it was okay as other companies were crossing the picket line. I hung up and came on in with an empty trailer. Dispatch started to chew me out when I did that and I stopped him and said "you want me to call the Local about this?" Conversation was then over.