Yellow | YRC Worldwide

maybe im missing something but if things are so good at yrwc then why have i been laidoff all year??
maybe some of the older hands have the answer - i dont??

Maybe because you are in the Central Region?....I do not know. The Southern Region is hopping and hiring though....crazy world of LTL....KK

Freight is slower this year than last year at this time. Hope we have a good end of the month, because about a week after that, I think the layoffs will start again. Dollar Bill already said it will be a slow 4th quarter. I don't know how Yellow can trim back any more, but believe me they will find a way. It's going to be a long winter!

Ghostrider,
If you are under an actual letter of layoff (they'd send it to you via Certified Mail) then call in and have them place you on the list for dock /city work. Under our contract, once you are on an official letter of layoff, you have the option to work either the dock or city. They use a great number of casual workers. But, they have to work you before any casuals or someone junior to you. I know they just hired a number of new dock workers within the last 2-3 weeks. Most of them were placed on the 4pm to midnight shift. They would be junior to you. You would end up bumping one of them to something else.

why cant someone who is laid off fill in at another barn that is in need? Thats crazy. Seems to me that would be a win win.

Not allowed per Local Contracts

trucker4cf said:
why cant someone who is laid off fill in at another barn that is in need? Thats crazy. Seems to me that would be a win win.

Most terminals have there own Local to the International Union. And each protects their own local turf. Otherwise it would be possible for employee's from one barn to knock out employee's from the local barn when work slows down there.
The International Union negotiates the main Contract. And then each Local Union Hall negotiates their own individual work rules for their barns.

freightmaster1 said:
I don't know how Yellow can trim back any more, but believe me they will find a way. It's going to be a long winter!
That's why a guy should be like a bear,during the summer....eat all the hamburgers you can during the summer months,gain about 50lbs then you can hibernate during the long cold winter,its the freight haulers survival guide 101:Chef-Cowardee:

albany ny moved in holland last week tm cant understand why holland ay does more bills inbound and out bound than yellow and is dark from 10 to 6am no osand d no return bills the holland men work and the yellow men think its still the roaring 70s 80s wake up guys or get out out