Yellow | YRCW and ABF's Goals for next Union Contract!

profjt

TB Lurker
Credits
Dollar Bill and the CEO of ABF gave a Q&A and speech at Stearn & Bears this week. Both of them stated that in the next Union Contract there were 3 items they consider key to the next Contract. They were:
1) Loosening up of the work rules!
2) Keep pay raises at a minimum
3) Instead of pay raises up the companies share to the retirement plans.!

You can hear both of them and the Q&A at www.yrcw.com

Maybe it is time to look at allowing casuals to work the road. We are hiring to "summer" staffing levels, with a "winter" starvation period. This can't help but have a negative effect on hiring as a lot of guys don't want to/ can't afford to make so little for the first couple of years. If they could hire a "permenent" staff and supplement the vacation/summer rush with casual drivers it might make things a lot better for the bottom 1/3 of the boards.

We also should lose that two year wage progression.That's a big reason they can't find good drivers.Why should a guy with ten,fifteen,or twenty years under his belt work for 75% of the rate!Been there done that,it sucks! Remember the slogan"experience pays?"I guess it don't apply here!

Moparman said:
We also should lose that two year wage progression.That's a big reason they can't find good drivers.Why should a guy with ten,fifteen,or twenty years under his belt work for 75% of the rate!Been there done that,it sucks! Remember the slogan"experience pays?"I guess it don't apply here!

:duh: Here Here...................Couldn't agree with you more Brother. After 2 years just made it to 90%................been a long road and we are almost there. New Hirees should be just that......... anyone with 5 years or less in the craft........... not 15 yr. vets. Oh well ...................6 more mos. to 100%.:bgroovy:

johnnyrotten said:
:duh: Here Here...................Couldn't agree with you more Brother. After 2 years just made it to 90%................been a long road and we are almost there. New Hirees should be just that......... anyone with 5 years or less in the craft........... not 15 yr. vets. Oh well ...................6 more mos. to 100%.:bgroovy:

johnnyrotten, If you've been on the list for 2 years you should be at full rate.
The progression is 75 % for the first 12 months, 80% for months 12-18, 90 % for months 18-24 and full rate after 24 months

No surprise for me

profjt said:
Dollar Bill and the CEO of ABF gave a Q&A and speech at Stearn & Bears this week. Both of them stated that in the next Union Contract there were 3 items they consider key to the next Contract. They were:
1) Loosening up of the work rules!
2) Keep pay raises at a minimum
3) Instead of pay raises up the companies share to the retirement plans.!

You can hear both of them and the Q&A at www.yrcw.com

Profit over people wins the day!

Great point

johnnyrotten said:

Expect more from the lower senority guys and then pay them less too? As a result, Solidarity dies and the future along with it.

~ Fight the good fight ~

Moparman said:
I remember back when this 3 tier contract came out, I voted no. Some how it passed, I think most senior guys felt it does'nt effect me, "I'm getting mine" Well it sure tastes bad now doesn't it guys? And yes, I've had to work at 75% more than once and probably will again, :nutkick: I only hope some that were "getting mine" are now "getting theirs":smilie_132:

I rember when everyone was paid the same rate and it was the unions position then ,that if a person does the same job,he is entitled to the same pay,and I agree with this today.This is something that should have never been put in the contract. This was done after deregulation when we were losing members,and instead of going on organizing campaigns the "powers to be" at that time took the easy way out ,and here we are today with the same language in the contract.It is up to all of us to get this language out of the next contract.When they send out the survey of what you want in the next contract tell our leaders that we do not want this in the contract,and if they don`t then vote the proposed contract down.It is all up to us,the membership,not the leadership,all they can do is recomend the language that they negotiate,it is up to us to ratify it.

CFer said:
johnnyrotten, If you've been on the list for 2 years you should be at full rate.
The progression is 75 % for the first 12 months, 80% for months 12-18, 90 % for months 18-24 and full rate after 24 months
Started in June ...made the list in OCT. Sorry for the misunderstanding:duh:

34 yrs and had to start at 75% when APA went under. What a slap in the face !! Experienced teamsters should not have to work for entry level wages.

citykiddie said:
34 yrs and had to start at 75% when APA went under. What a slap in the face !! Experienced teamsters should not have to work for entry level wages.
I agree that the 3 tier pay scale has to go.

I had 35 yrs in the Teamsters when Red Star shut down. ABF hired me at 57 yrs old.

But if there was a higher rate for experienced Teamsters than for entry level drivers then they probably would have hired the cheaper new guys. Its a 1 list combo job & we started out on the dock anyway.

75%- 80% - 90% & 100%. It has to go. It also causes problems on the job. Its cheaper to give the overtime to the new guys whenever possible. Not so much on the dock, but they could control it out in the street.

It won't affect me because at 59 I won't be starting over again , but I'll be trying to get it out of the next contract, for the good of union.

How were some companies able to start off the Red Star men at a higher pay rate and accelerated scales ??

I could have sworn that NPME hired some Re Star men at 80-85%....

Not sure just asking

Friend of the frog said:
How were some companies able to start off the Red Star men at a higher pay rate and accelerated scales ??

Not sure just asking
Yes NPMF started Red Star drivers at a higher rate in places where Holland was opening

They also waived the 75 days casual period & put the Red Star men right on probation

I think that they did the same thing when APA shut down.

Friend of the frog said:

Not sure just asking
Big R Buf hired RS guys, but they had to start at 75%.

2631 said:
Yes NPMF started Red Star drivers at a higher rate in places where Holland was opening

They also waived the 75 days casual period & put the Red Star men right on probation

I think that they did the same thing when APA shut down.

Not in BUF they didn't.

New Penn paid more to the new RS drivers only in areas that Holland was expanding to. They upped the rate to the same rate that Holland was paying to try to keep the drivers from quitting

Amen 2631. Thinking about staying two more years myself unless I say the heck with it this July when I turn 57. I do enjoy working for Yellow, they are a heck of a lot easier to work for than APA was.

2631 said:
I agree that the 3 tier pay scale has to go.

I had 35 yrs in the Teamsters when Red Star shut down. ABF hired me at 57 yrs old.

But if there was a higher rate for experienced Teamsters than for entry level drivers then they probably would have hired the cheaper new guys. Its a 1 list combo job & we started out on the dock anyway.

75%- 80% - 90% & 100%. It has to go. It also causes problems on the job. Its cheaper to give the overtime to the new guys whenever possible. Not so much on the dock, but they could control it out in the street.

It won't affect me because at 59 I won't be starting over again , but I'll be trying to get it out of the next contract, for the good of union.
Not to forget they get the bigger mileage runs as well.:nutkick: