Yellow | Yrcw seeks economic relief from teamsters!

I'm guessing upper (mis) management is under contract. They will get paid no matter what happens. If this shuts down, the suits suck out what they can. Then move onto their "next great turnaround" CF had a lot of good people who loved working there, and busted their a$$ for an American icon, me included. But they had **** poor management. Yellow has a lot of people who hate the company, me included. And **** poor management. I've been here B4. This dose'nt even bother me any more.

well i guess brooklyn will be a shopping cart on wheels if we have to give back i know some will make it back anyway they can its over im jumping ship before it sinks way to go dollor bill may you by meds with all your money you peice of ****

When Yellow bought Preston over Thanskgiving weekend, 1993, they came to us (Leo Suggs became our Prez) and said "Give us 9% the first year; 7% the second; 5% the third, 3% the fourth, and then you'll be fullscale from then on. That was the best "give back" ever offered-- the others were all at 15%.....

We made it thru the 9%; then the 7%. We were just about to go to 5% when Leo told us "Boys, this won't work. Freeze it where it is for the end of this contract, and it'll work". So we did.

Then Yellow "sold us" to Dave Letke (Yellow Vp); Sean Callahan (yellow VP) and Nick Marino (Yellow VP); we wre Debt Free! And later we crashed/cosed because supposedly we couldn't get credit for our payroll (I think Yellow was done taking us off their taxes).

That's as close as anyone EVER got to making it out of a Give-Back..........We got 6 more years than we deserved, but closed anyway. I guess it depends on what they offer, and how long you need to go to get to retirement?

The next burning question is: Is the Pension fund next?

And beyond that: Is this then the End of the Road for the (Freight) Teamsters?

Or even further: If Yellow pulls off breaking the Teamsters, and the Big 3 Auto Giants get out of their contracts-- is this the end of Unionism?

There's more to this than Yellow, for sure.....

(I'll g back to my tin foil hat now......)

When Yellow bought Preston over Thanskgiving weekend, 1993, they came to us (Leo Suggs became our Prez) and said "Give us 9% the first year; 7% the second; 5% the third, 3% the fourth, and then you'll be fullscale from then on. That was the best "give back" ever offered-- the others were all at 15%.....

We made it thru the 9%; then the 7%. We were just about to go to 5% when Leo told us "Boys, this won't work. Freeze it where it is for the end of this contract, and it'll work". So we did.

Then Yellow "sold us" to Dave Letke (Yellow Vp); Sean Callahan (yellow VP) and Nick Marino (Yellow VP); we wre Debt Free! And later we crashed/cosed because supposedly we couldn't get credit for our payroll (I think Yellow was done taking us off their taxes).

That's as close as anyone EVER got to making it out of a Give-Back..........We got 6 more years than we deserved, but closed anyway. I guess it depends on what they offer, and how long you need to go to get to retirement?

Or even further: If Yellow pulls off breaking the Teamsters, and the Big 3 Auto Giants get out of their contracts-- is this the end of Unionism?

Very interesting view jimmy g!!!

Facts and history in your post. Well said, thank you and good luck!!!

NO GIVE BACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope this goes to a rank and file vote, though we all know that deals are settled behind closed doors ALWAYS....we start giving concessions now, we are truly done for.....58,000 on board, and lifeboats for 20....:TR10driving03:

good post jimmy g....very interesting perspective....

I say no way , but would consider it if and only if they could show me the big give backs all the upper crust were giving.
I better have a vote in such a big decision, NOT JUST MY B/A

I say no way , but would consider it if and only if they could show me the big give backs all the upper crust were giving.
I better have a vote in such a big decision, NOT JUST MY B/A

I agree 100%. If they can prove to me that management is willing to make the same sacrifice as labor I would consider it.

If you look around our terminal you will see 32 or more contractual employees on lay off and 0 managers on lay off. That speaks volumes to me.

You will hear how managment already had their pension frozen and bonuses not givin out, at least for lower middle management. And how all the stock options they got are now worth nothing. I gave up H&W after 2 days and 30 and out already so we're even. Now cut supervisors 10% and make the rest pickup the slack like they have us and we can start talking from that point. :soapbox:

Maybe a temporary concession in the form of %'ers and hourly guarantees would be better, a more flexible workforce rather than actual wage concessions?

Maybe a temporary concession in the form of %'ers and hourly guarantees would be better, a more flexible workforce rather than actual wage concessions?
I would think an equal sacrifice by all is more in line with the Teamster brotherhood ideal. Then again thats just the way I think. :1036316054:

You will hear how managment already had their pension frozen and bonuses not givin out, at least for lower middle management. And how all the stock options they got are now worth nothing. I gave up H&W after 2 days and 30 and out already so we're even. Now cut supervisors 10% and make the rest pickup the slack like they have us and we can start talking from that point. :soapbox:

Wolf is correct about the lower management. 400 supers were cut from Yellow, the DAY BEFORE the announcement. I know, cuz one of them was my friend. And only management may realize this. Last year,about this time, YRC cut my pay ( non-union hourly) by one hour each day. In a nut shell, and quick easy math, this is 20 bucks a day, 100 bucks a week and 400 bucks a month. I got my 40 hrs back around April, 5 months later. I was surprised they even it back to me.... but expect a take back again real soon....

YRC has been "cutting" and "cutting" for a long time now. Out in the open and behind "closed doors"...

Seems to me, like this is just a band-Aid for a major bleeding artery... Be careful of the "concessions" they may ask you to take.... They didn't "ask" me, they just SAID SO.... DID IT HELP? seems NOT, so far..... I expect anyday now, for them to cut my hours again.

If I was Teamster, I would vote NO ! Make your cuts elsewhere, we have already given ENOUGH ! And just LOOK at all the cuts they have already made? Combining terminals, slashing duplicate jobs, getting rid of lower management jobs, and cutting hours of non-union hourly, closing departments ( Billing clerks).... How long is the list to be before we just end up sinking anyway ?

Vote to have the BIG SALARY PEOPLE get/take a MAJOR CUT ! Anyone making 100 k or more.....

Wolf is correct about the lower management. 400 supers were cut from Yellow, the DAY BEFORE the announcement. I know, cuz one of them was my friend. And only management may realize this. Last year,about this time, YRC cut my pay ( non-union hourly) by one hour each day. In a nut shell, and quick easy math, this is 20 bucks a day, 100 bucks a week and 400 bucks a month. I got my 40 hrs back around April, 5 months later. I was surprised they even it back to me.... but expect a take back again real soon....

YRC has been "cutting" and "cutting" for a long time now. Out in the open and behind "closed doors"...

Seems to me, like this is just a band-Aid for a major bleeding artery... Be careful of the "concessions" they may ask you to take.... They didn't "ask" me, they just SAID SO.... DID IT HELP? seems NOT, so far..... I expect anyday now, for them to cut my hours again.

If I was Teamster, I would vote NO ! Make your cuts elsewhere, we have already given ENOUGH ! And just LOOK at all the cuts they have already made? Combining terminals, slashing duplicate jobs, getting rid of lower management jobs, and cutting hours of non-union hourly, closing departments ( Billing clerks).... How long is the list to be before we just end up sinking anyway ?

Vote to have the BIG SALARY PEOPLE get/take a MAJOR CUT ! Anyone making 100 k or more.....
Honest I love my local management. Great bunch to work for but in 5 years we have lost 1 outbound supervisor, went from 10 union to 6. We work close to 10 hours per day. I won't say how much time salery puts on the clock. Could'nt prove it anyway, they don't punch a time card. None of this would make life easier for us grunts just venting I guess. :popcorn:

I would think an equal sacrifice by all is more in line with the Teamster brotherhood ideal. Then again thats just the way I think. :1036316054:

Yeah, I really don't know, I was just kind of throwing ideas at a wall seeing what sticks. On one hand I see what your saying about looking out for everyone's interests and a sacrifice by all. On the other, when layoffs come, its not as though we all agree to work four days so everyone can keep working. I am one man from the bottom of my city board, so believe me, I would not be someone benefiting from an agreement like this.

Yeah, I really don't know, I was just kind of throwing ideas at a wall seeing what sticks. On one hand I see what your saying about looking out for everyone's interests and a sacrifice by all. On the other, when layoffs come, its not as though we all agree to work four days so everyone can keep working. I am one man from the bottom of my city board, so believe me, I would not be someone benefiting from an agreement like this.
Yup me too. Just got back after 2 year soft layoff working 3-4 days per week. Nice to get big paychecks again but figure with merger and economy it won't last long. Guys working 60+ while I tried to get H&W still sticks in my craw so Thats why I'm so touchy about not spreding the pain a little. Then again those that "PAID THEIR DUES" don't like to hear me either. :1036316054:

More Food For Thought

During the conference call today, it WAS stated that the IBT would not entertain any concession unless it was approved by the membership AND matched by management. Action must be quick if we decide to take it, which is why the meeting in Washington is happening tonight. Once they find out what is needed and what is possible, it will be brought to a 2 man committee from all the freight locals now set up for Next Wed. Dec. 3rd in Scottsdale, AZ. If approved by the 2 man committee, it will be brought to the freight membership for a vote, as I understand it. No details are available yet except they are looking at money (mileage & hourly cuts). That being said and given the history of the old 15% give-back language, which by the way was removed from the contract because no carrier ever survived it. However there was a lot of people that got extra time out of it and made it to retirement because of it, so it wasn't all bad. Now that leaves us with a choice of somewhere between a possibility of a chance to slight to no chance. Ahhhh, democracy. :smilie_132: