ABF | YRCW stock down another 25% today trading as low as $3.29

A severe "Qualified" driver shortage....and the ability to pick up a large pool of automatically "Qualified" drivers may outweigh any negative debt factor.
It would also place those drivers,...provided we're talking about ABF buying YRC,...back into the full pension scale,...as mentioned above...Would cure a lot of pension "ills".......

Now,....back to reality..........Do we think Hoffa and crew will allow this? Why did they allow a crippling buyout by UPS of their biggest fund? Why did they allow the second-largest contributor of most funds....to get away with only 25% of their pension contributions,...? For how many years?....

Mr. Hoffa originally supported the Kline-Miller Act,...which amended the ERISA Act of 1974 to allow pension cuts to retirees,...based on Thomas Nyhan's recommendation....When he .........woke up out of his ..coma.. and saw how wildly unpopular that legislation was,...he put on his acrobat costume and did a backflip.....
What......He didn't realize that BEFORE his support of the pension cuts?

I don't see Mr. Hoffa pushing for,...or allowing,....a potential sale of YRC,...especially to ABF. There seems to be some sort of obstruction emanating from his office,....even though a combination of the companies would....cure a lot of problems,....and, more importantly,...restore a National Master Freight Agreement,..covering just about all Union LTL carriers......

Why he destroyed his father's Life's Work is beyond me........

And ....Don't Forget!....Once we have ABF,YRC/Roadway/Holland/New Penn under the ABF NMFA,......we've got to start the push to get UPS Freight under that contract!.....

Yeah,....Right.......

If I remember ABF was already offered that deal before by the Union, which ABF turned down.

Only thing I forgot to add Doc out of a class of 10 ,5 may stay, first year in this is hardest, but most of us will len a hand when we see a guy having trouble. I trained 2 guys this year both doing ok now, company will give them easy loads to start,and just want clean delivers . First guy kinda freaked out when he found out my truck wasn't an auto, says I'm not to good at shifting told him don't worry I had the shop put in rubber gears so it grind so loud.

A severe "Qualified" driver shortage....and the ability to pick up a large pool of automatically "Qualified" drivers may outweigh any negative debt factor.
It would also place those drivers,...provided we're talking about ABF buying YRC,...back into the full pension scale,...as mentioned above...Would cure a lot of pension "ills".......

Now,....back to reality..........Do we think Hoffa and crew will allow this? Why did they allow a crippling buyout by UPS of their biggest fund? Why did they allow the second-largest contributor of most funds....to get away with only 25% of their pension contributions,...? For how many years?....

Mr. Hoffa originally supported the Kline-Miller Act,...which amended the ERISA Act of 1974 to allow pension cuts to retirees,...based on Thomas Nyhan's recommendation....When he .........woke up out of his ..coma.. and saw how wildly unpopular that legislation was,...he put on his acrobat costume and did a backflip.....
What......He didn't realize that BEFORE his support of the pension cuts?

I don't see Mr. Hoffa pushing for,...or allowing,....a potential sale of YRC,...especially to ABF. There seems to be some sort of obstruction emanating from his office,....even though a combination of the companies would....cure a lot of problems,....and, more importantly,...restore a National Master Freight Agreement,..covering just about all Union LTL carriers......

Why he destroyed his father's Life's Work is beyond me........

And ....Don't Forget!....Once we have ABF,YRC/Roadway/Holland/New Penn under the ABF NMFA,......we've got to start the push to get UPS Freight under that contract!.....

Yeah,....Right.......
You nailed it. Why did Hoffa (a lawyer) allow the demise of the union & pension fund under his watch? He might be a bad leader, but, is he really that stupid? Or how about all the advisors & lawyers for the IBT to council the Union in to financial ruin. But the worst problem we have is our ourselves. We keep voting in to office the very people who have taken us to the lowest depths a Union can suffer. The Longshoreman’s Union has problems, but nowhere like we have. Why have the dockworkers stayed strong for so many years? Because the union members are active enough to not allow ruin to come crashing down on top of them. Even a better & more secure union is the Airline Pilots Association. You hear very few problems coming from them. And their current contract (UPS & Fed-X) puts a nice pay check in their pocket. Until the rank & file stand shoulder to shoulder & storm the gates, they will suffer what they have brought upon themselves. Von.

Only thing I forgot to add Doc out of a class of 10 ,5 may stay, first year in this is hardest, but most of us will len a hand when we see a guy having trouble. I trained 2 guys this year both doing ok now, company will give them easy loads to start,and just want clean delivers . First guy kinda freaked out when he found out my truck wasn't an auto, says I'm not to good at shifting told him don't worry I had the shop put in rubber gears so it grind so loud.
It is nice your managers think about the new help & try to not overwhelm them the first day. By breaking them in with that type of attitude will go a long way in the employee wanting to stay there, not to mention the possibility of less freight damage, or injuries in the work place. It is the employee that makes a company viable. Not the Board of Directors or the stock price. von.

It is nice your managers think about the new help & try to not overwhelm them the first day. By breaking them in with that type of attitude will go a long way in the employee wanting to stay there, not to mention the possibility of less freight damage, or injuries in the work place. It is the employee that makes a company viable. Not the Board of Directors or the stock price. von.
The new ones go thru a 2 week training class vidoes load and unload tie down's etc some classroom mostly in yard driving onto and off the truck and trailer. then it's 2 weeks some times less loading driving and delevery with a regular driver( i,e. me) . He/she will do most of the work i ride and check him out, and YES we have female carhaulers. My company is family owned so no stock holders to contend with. Carhaul isn't for everybody , I know i hear you guys say about cold/hot docks etc well my dock is open and is tarmac ,plus climb around a slippery truck/decks when it's snowing and a blowing or it's 90 degrees out and you have 2 degree burns to your hands when you grab the wheel of a car/truck that's been sitting all closed up lol. But if I didn't like doing it I wouldn't been here almost 24 yrs now. Have a Happy and safe New Year

Also if your thinking well if they go get another union job. At that point they would be paying FULL RATE which helps against the pay in, drawing ratio.
I hate to break it to you but nothing except the US government can save central states. The numbers are so huge that if Yrc paid in full it wouldn’t extend the life of the pension one day. Very few countries on this planet could come up with the money to save central states. Heck our own government program {PBGC} doesn’t have the funds to save it. Multi employer pension funds are almost a TRILLION underfunded. Most of that number is due to central states. I suggest everyone pay attention to what’s going on in Congress and educating themselves about our pension issues. All the joint subcommittee on multiemployer pensions hearings are on YouTube. I strongly recommend watching these.

Where are the union jobs that are available?
For starters ABF and UPS, we can't find anyone....let me re-phrase that our tm is not qualified nor does he take the time to hire qualified freight men. Think outside the box good union jobs don"t have to be in freight, my local sanitary authority is union & top rate is $31 an hour with more time off then freight....

I hate to break it to you but nothing except the US government can save central states. The numbers are so huge that if Yrc paid in full it wouldn’t extend the life of the pension one day. Very few countries on this planet could come up with the money to save central states. Heck our own government program {PBGC} doesn’t have the funds to save it. Multi employer pension funds are almost a TRILLION underfunded. Most of that number is due to central states. I suggest everyone pay attention to what’s going on in Congress and educating themselves about our pension issues. All the joint subcommittee on multiemployer pensions hearings are on YouTube. I strongly recommend watching these.

Very good Advice! It's amazing that ,...somehow,..our so-called "leaders",....who are eversomuch smarter than us lowly truck drivers and dock workers,...allowed this situation to grow to the proportions that it did.....

The "leaders" at IBT headquarters must have callusses on their eyebrows from constantly wearing ...blinders.....

I'm going to make a motion ( as a retiree...) next Union meeting, that they hang up Sargeant Schultz's picture , along with Hoffa's and Hall's........It appears his philosophy of; "I Know Nothing! Nothing!" is the driving force behind most IBT decisions...

For starters ABF and UPS, we can't find anyone....let me re-phrase that our tm is not qualified nor does he take the time to hire qualified freight men. Think outside the box good union jobs don"t have to be in freight, my local sanitary authority is union & top rate is $31 an hour with more time off then freight....

Truck driving jobs ,...particularly LTL jobs,....USED to be the highest blue-collar occupation in this country....
For many, many reasons.........
The main one is that...LTL is NOT truck driving....It is Freight Handling in all it's aspects.....Driving is just ONE of the varied skills you need to be a...profitable...employee in LTL.

As long as LTL companies hire "truck drivers" only,.....and deny that "freight handling" is another set of skills,.....they will constantly have a hiring problem,......with newbie "truck drivers" expecting to hold the steering wheel only,...and becoming deeply disappointed at having to get all sweaty and dirty,...handling that freight.......

The new ones go thru a 2 week training class vidoes load and unload tie down's etc some classroom mostly in yard driving onto and off the truck and trailer. then it's 2 weeks some times less loading driving and delevery with a regular driver( i,e. me) . He/she will do most of the work i ride and check him out, and YES we have female carhaulers. My company is family owned so no stock holders to contend with. Carhaul isn't for everybody , I know i hear you guys say about cold/hot docks etc well my dock is open and is tarmac ,plus climb around a slippery truck/decks when it's snowing and a blowing or it's 90 degrees out and you have 2 degree burns to your hands when you grab the wheel of a car/truck that's been sitting all closed up lol. But if I didn't like doing it I wouldn't been here almost 24 yrs now. Have a Happy and safe New Year

Hah!....I remember my first year as a carhauler for M & G Convoy way back in the late '70's..........Older guy told me that at least once a week during my first year,...I would have my head down on the steering wheel and be pounding the dash,..wondering WHY I chose this job........

Damned if he wasn't right..........My first load of large Chryslers on a Delavan 6 car.....6 car , no less.........took me 7 hours to load and deliver 8 miles from the railhead.........

After a year or so,....when I got cocky and ..."quick".....I slipped off a top deck and fractured a wrist.....Long way to the ground,....should've hit head first,.....no damage done then.......

Truck driving jobs ,...particularly LTL jobs,....USED to be the highest blue-collar occupation in this country....
The main one is that...LTL is NOT truck driving....It is Freight Handling in all it's aspects.....Driving is just ONE of the varied skills you need to be a...profitable...employee in LTL.

As long as LTL companies hire "truck drivers" only,.....and deny that "freight handling" is another set of skills,.....they will constantly have a hiring problem,......with newbie "truck drivers" expecting to hold the steering wheel only,...and becoming deeply disappointed at having to get all sweaty and dirty,...handling that freight.......

Guess I was just an ole truck driver, don't know one thing about freight, never touched a piece a half dozen times
in 35 yrs, not a very profitable employee for PIE, I guess old Gooberlip Gump was right, I probably did put PIE
out of business!

Guess I was just an ole truck driver, don't know one thing about freight, never touched a piece a half dozen times
in 35 yrs, not a very profitable employee for PIE, I guess old Gooberlip Gump was right, I probably did put PIE
out of business!

No, no, no, Brother SeaBreeze! There are employees whose very presence on the payroll,...in ANY capacity,....makes the company profitable.....

Although these types of employees are rare,...few and far between,......I am SURE you fall into that category.......

The day that you retired,...Wall Street hung Black Crepe all over the Transportation Stocks section.........

Yesterday I was at the bank signing the paperwork on a new 15 year HELOC (my last one expired this month 12/03-12/18) and the loan officer, bank branch manager, my wife and I talked for over 1 hour. We spent most of the time talking about credit scores, taxes, the economy, and the stockmarket. The loan officer pointed out that my wages and our household income are quite high for our area (most of my income comes from ABF ie truck driving) and my wife does not work (no income). We discussed loosing my DOT Road Expenses vs paying our house off for income tax purposes vs buying more income producing assets (rental property or a business) or putting more money into IRA's to reduce taxable income. My point for this post is truckdrivig in the Atlanta area is still a very high paying blue collar job.

Yesterday I was at the bank signing the paperwork on a new 15 year HELOC (my last one expired this month 12/03-12/18) and the loan officer, bank branch manager, my wife and I talked for over 1 hour. We spent most of the time talking about credit scores, taxes, the economy, and the stockmarket. The loan officer pointed out that my wages and our household income are quite high for our area (most of my income comes from ABF ie truck driving) and my wife does not work (no income). We discussed loosing my DOT Road Expenses vs paying our house off for income tax purposes vs buying more income producing assets (rental property or a business) or putting more money into IRA's to reduce taxable income. My point for this post is truckdrivig in the Atlanta area is still a very high paying blue collar job.

Just living at or near Atlanta, you are certainly NOT overpaid, JMO.
At one time I enjoyed running Birm. from Charl, but with the increase of traffic and idiots around Atl, I gave it up and ran Jax.
Same miles but a lot less stressful.

Just living at or near Atlanta, you are certainly NOT overpaid, JMO.
At one time I enjoyed running Birm. from Charl, but with the increase of traffic and idiots around Atl, I gave it up and ran Jax.
Same miles but a lot less stressful.
Amazing that someone thinks they are over paid....

Very good Advice! It's amazing that ,...somehow,..our so-called "leaders",....who are eversomuch smarter than us lowly truck drivers and dock workers,...allowed this situation to grow to the proportions that it did.....

The "leaders" at IBT headquarters must have callusses on their eyebrows from constantly wearing ...blinders.....

I'm going to make a motion ( as a retiree...) next Union meeting, that they hang up Sargeant Schultz's picture , along with Hoffa's and Hall's........It appears his philosophy of; "I Know Nothing! Nothing!" is the driving force behind most IBT decisions...
The result of politics as usual. No elected official wants to be the bearer of bad news-whether local, state, federal or union politician.

But,.....You accept an elected position in anticipation of the responsibility,...the moral responsibility,.....to be able to tell the people who elected you the truth......

Even a Steward's election......You should be found out quickly if you can't tell either your co-workers, or management the truth......

And,....Not having the courage to speak up,....is just as bad as a lie.......

When our IBT leaders ...discount us, and say: "Ahh,...yer just a truck driver.....Ya don't unnerstand...".....They are trying to justify...to themselves...reasons for not telling us the truth.