Yellow | YRCW to reduce Teamster jobs by 15-20 Thousand!

Blue, the last time i talked to SS they told me it was the last 35yrs you worked & they had a way to make the money = & average it all out & if you diden't have 35yrs they gave you a 0 for every year you diden't have to make 35yrs. From that they figured what you would get,

mustache, thx for your input. Here's the problem. I am only 50 yrs old, so 17 years of ZEROS will kill this kid's SS monthly payment. If I would have known this, I would not have worked ever since I was 17 yrs, but I would have sat home, raised my kids, tend my little home( stay at home MOM) and only just go out and work now ! I do like my job here at Roadway. There's just soo much b.s ( and unfairness)going on, that it all just gets to me sometimes....

the fact is yrc is shutting 200 terminals. thats like shutting down estes or r&l. its huge. either yrc has lost that much freight or plans on it. no way can yellow or roadway have enough capacity to absorb that much. or maybe they already lost that much.

Freight volume is down. At my Roadway terminal in Daytona Beach, last year I had 7 men working with OT, and 4-5 pulls a night of O/B. Over 100 bills I/B and over 100 bills O/B.... Yesterday....I had 19 I/B bills and 35 O/B bills...... That's why I am talking in this forum... I am from a side of the story that you guys don't get to see or know about......

Some of the people I work with, at both the Daytona Beach terminals of Yellow and Roadway...they say... when we merge we will have TWICE the work !..... uh,no....you won't.... the work is NOT THERE, not today... When we merge here in Daytona, we will have HALF the volume of freight, we BOTH had last year, at this same time... the economy is in the toilet, and I see it, in the office..... We are NOT turning down any freight...and here in the office, here is another issue..we have shippers who are mounting debts...and not paying their freight bills.....shall we pick them up today? Knowing they owe like 25 k in freight chargers???? These are big shippers, not some little fly -by-night guy who just sold something on Ebay and now needs to have it shipped, cuz it's too big or too heavy for UPS/FedEx......

the fact is yrc is shutting 200 terminals. thats like shutting down estes or r&l. its huge. either yrc has lost that much freight or plans on it. no way can yellow or roadway have enough capacity to absorb that much. or maybe they already lost that much.

Here is what they are doing at Daytona to handle that much ... Roadway owns the place, PLUS they own the woods behind it, and the woods beside it ( extra lots ) They are using these woods to expand, and putting on 8 more dock doors..... for a total of 16 after it is done. The two terminal are only a mile away, and we both service the same customers and the same areas.....

It is s good idea for the company to be doing this, to avoid redundacy, but men, and people will also lose their jobs, because that is getting rid of duplicates..... I could be one of them.... I'll ride this dead horse until it it's dead.....

the only question i have is how many teamsters work at holland? heard holland had a big meeting in chattanooga this week at the hotel where rdwy stays at. this info came from the hotel manager.

Saw this on the Roadway Board:

"Instead, YRC officials waited for a new contract from the Teamsters union, whose 55,000 members at both long-haul companies will be directly affected by any combination. Likely, dovetailing seniority will occur as YRC tries to trim its headcount to a more manageable 35,000 to 40,000 or so."

What Took So Long? YRC Plans to Merge Yellow and Roadway Units - GLG News

If you're in the bottom 3rd of your seniority board I would say it's a good idea to start looking at employment elsewhere. That is if you haven't started already.

I didn't take the time to read all the posts in this thread so I am not sure if someone else may have touched on this. I read the aforementioned article and the heading of this thread and felt compelled to comment. As someone who checks YRCW stock daily, and reads every interview with Zollars and listens to every conference call I do not know everything, or anything for sure, but I think I can make an educated guess. The article quotes YRCW as employing 60 thousand Teamsters, the entire company (YRCW) as quoted by Google finance is 63 thousand, USF, New Pen and Logistics are as of now not included in the change. That has to account for at least 15k employees right there, YRCW has how many non union employees in the Yellow Roadway networks? I would assume that puts the number of Teamsters affected somewhere in the 30 to 40 thousand range.

In smaller EOL terminals the cuts will be deeper, and the process will be much simpler, in larger areas however it is going to be a logistical nightmare, there is no way they will get anywhere near the efficiency this article assumes, in some areas they will either have to build new terminals or undertake several large construction projects that I doubt the company has the credit to fiance. So however they work it out by shuttling freight or whatever, they will not gain near the efficiency they will at the EOLS.

My estimate of job losses at the absolute worst case scenario assuming everything is falling into place perfectly for the company, and freight levels staying as low as they have been, would be a 20% Teamster job reduction. Probably realistically around 10% to 15%. This change is going to result in job losses, it is unfortunately necessary to avoid 100% job loss. So 5250 Teamster Jobs is my estimate by the end of the 18 month time frame.

The two teamsters left ARE ABF and YRC... I didn't forget about ABF... Yellow / Roadway is ONE company and has been since the buy out. I am not concerned about my job.... My kids are grown college, educated, have good jobs & homes, my house is paid for.... and quite frankly, I don't feel like working anymore! Fire me, Plz, and put me out of my misery ! But SS says I can't "retire" yet.... Every year I don't work , will be less benefits paid monthly to me. Or do you think I'm one of those women who will just collect my HUSBAND'S SS????

And if you thinking I'm stretching the truth, hey, whatever ! I have no reason to lie........

Then you forgot UPSF.

Larry retired....

May I stress the RETIRED part? Anybody tell you yet, that you can be annoying?

I had said UPS marches to the beat of a different drum... They are teamsters, everybody knows it, but don't count them IN on this.....They haven't been with "US" for quite a many years...

Are you looking for a word fight here or something????? To ruffle some feathers???? Try to stick to the tiopics, and not pick on someone's little choice wording of phrase...nobody else seemed to have a problem, and nobody else "corrected" me.....

If you are OUT of the workforce, then you are NOT UP TO DATE. You don't have CLUE of what is happening TODAY...If you wish to be helpful, then say something worthwhile.....

Larry retired....

I had said UPS marches to the beat of a different drum... They are teamsters, everybody knows it, but don't count them IN on this.....They haven't been with "US" for quite a many years...

Are you looking for a word fight here or something????? To ruffle some feathers???? Try to stick to the tiopics, and not pick on someone's little choice wording of phrase...nobody else seemed to have a problem, and nobody else "corrected" me.....

If you are OUT of the workforce, then you are NOT UP TO DATE. You don't have CLUE of what is happening TODAY...If you wish to be helpful, then say something worthwhile.....

I have noticed in many other instances that you don't know what you are talking about, and you just proved it again. I don't care if nobody else corrected you or if they had no problem with it. And don't tell me what I know and what I don't know. Anybody that comes on here and rips the company like you do, that is so obviously exposed, needs their head examined.

bluemule, Don't take Larryretired or any other member on personally without good reason. Larry may be retired, however, as you can see from his Rep points has contributed much here from his years of experience. We hope to benefit from your years of experience and yes, your female perspective much also here. All of us can be annoying when we present other opinions. Also, lets face it, as men, we probably have many other unsavory habits also!!! (Such as not catching your prior reference to UPS) :chairshot: Anyway, we're glad you're here. :1036316054:

Larry retired....

Saw an interesting piece on the Roadway forum yesterday. One post had said "The suits were here today, and we all had big meeting and this is what they told us". This caught my attention because my roadmen have been asking me if the " suits " have been yet or are they coming here. My TM is on vacation, so I won't have a clue until Monday...

He explained "in nut shell" that yellow will still delivering yellow freight, and roadway will still be delivering Roadway freight. They will share buildings, and you may see a Roadway Tractor pulling a Yellow pup and a Roadway pup ( or any combination ) . The individual brands will be delivered to the satelite terminal where Yellow P& D will deiver to Yellow customers, and Roadway P& D will still deliver To Roadway customers, in their own brand of equipment.... This makes sense to me. We still have to use the equipment the way it is. Can't possibly buy all new equipment. They'd be forking out a lot of money for paint, and causes customers to hava a sour face, seeing the wrong brand at their door. So I think many years down the road, you will YRC eventually one day, and not Yellow or Roadway anymore.

This is good news for us here at Daytona. If this works out this way, then only 2 men ( the two who are currently laid off at Roadway & Yellow,) and 10 out of the 12 will still have a job. As we will have 2 routes per area, one for Yellow and one for Roadway.

You make a good point bluemule. I think the biggest economies of scale they will reap will be in management mostly, dock and road second. I don't see much of a P & D effect any time soon.

Saw an interesting piece on the Roadway forum yesterday. One post had said "The suits were here today, and we all had big meeting and this is what they told us". This caught my attention because my roadmen have been asking me if the " suits " have been yet or are they coming here. My TM is on vacation, so I won't have a clue until Monday...

He explained "in nut shell" that yellow will still delivering yellow freight, and roadway will still be delivering Roadway freight. They will share buildings, and you may see a Roadway Tractor pulling a Yellow pup and a Roadway pup ( or any combination ) . The individual brands will be delivered to the satelite terminal where Yellow P& D will deiver to Yellow customers, and Roadway P& D will still deliver To Roadway customers, in their own brand of equipment.... This makes sense to me. We still have to use the equipment the way it is. Can't possibly buy all new equipment. They'd be forking out a lot of money for paint, and causes customers to hava a sour face, seeing the wrong brand at their door. So I think many years down the road, you will YRC eventually one day, and not Yellow or Roadway anymore.

This is good news for us here at Daytona. If this works out this way, then only 2 men ( the two who are currently laid off at Roadway & Yellow,) and 10 out of the 12 will still have a job. As we will have 2 routes per area, one for Yellow and one for Roadway.

i believe you are wrong on this one........we will all be combined soon on one senority list at each domicile, so how can we run seperate as yellow or roadway.......we will all be yrcw period....in charleston sc we will all be on the same senority list......so if this is true what you say then i could bid out of yellows trucks and into a roadway truck......only makes sense to me.......hey just my opinion........nuff said.....:hide:

Lordy, lordy, lordy! I'd like to respond to this, but I would just make you mad again. It would be nice if what you are saying were true, but old geezers like me just have difficulty living in fantasyland.

nope, not yet

Saw this on the Roadway Board:

"Instead, YRC officials waited for a new contract from the Teamsters union, whose 55,000 members at both long-haul companies will be directly affected by any combination. Likely, dovetailing seniority will occur as YRC tries to trim its headcount to a more manageable 35,000 to 40,000 or so."

What Took So Long? YRC Plans to Merge Yellow and Roadway Units - GLG News

If you're in the bottom 3rd of your seniority board I would say it's a good idea to start looking at employment elsewhere. That is if you haven't started already.
I heard plenty old timers talking " this is B.S. I'm outta here already have my papers in." UNITED WE STAND...DIVIDED YRCW STANDS AND 'WE FALL' Get a grip youse guys...We All Go Together, Or We All Fall Together...What part of this simple solidarity plan don't you understand? Don't make me want to throw up...PLEASE!!!

Lordy, lordy, lordy! I'd like to respond to this, but I would just make you mad again. It would be nice if what you are saying were true, but old geezers like me just have difficulty living in fantasyland.

It all depends on your perspective and what your job is, and where you been all these years. If you are linehaul, you get very little info, if any at all.... The highway is all you know... You always miss the drivers meetings, cuz you are not there....If you are P& D , you may get a bit more info if you have a TM that is willing to print out the Emails, he/she may get and let the P & D drivers read it for themselves, or have driver meetings to keep you informed, etc... The concept of my previous post is already true... My road men have already told me, they have seen Yellow pulling Roadway pups and vice-versa.... I believe them, I'm sorry you don't.... They have info they can pass along to me, and I have info to pass along to them..... I'm stuck in the office, and don't travel the Interstates much. And They have no clue of the ofice stuff.....

I recently posted an Email at work,that I printed out that advises all the Roadway/Reimer drivers that we were getting new pro numbers. This made sense to me, as I can't read Holland or Yellows Pro's when someone calls and asks for info on a shipment at DEST, and I don't have a clue, cuz Holland or Yellow picked it up.... We all need the same pros, so we can all read it on the computer, when customers ask. This has been frustrating for me for quite awhile now. Well, next morning my OPS took the memo down from the driver's board... WHY ???? What did it hurt to NOT inform the P&D that we were getting new pros? "I'll wait until the day we actually get them, the I'll tell them" my OPS guy says.....

My boss called me in the office the day of "Black Friday" to tell me Yellow & Roadway were merging to one comapny. My reply was " I thought we already were".... NO ! He says.... Roadway was always Roadway, and Yellow was always Yellow.... OK BOSS...whatever you say.....

Larry, I work in the office.... Just trying to give some feedback from a place you guys have NO CLUE about... and I'm not afraid to let my road men or my P&D know, and show them the Email I got, so they can read it for themself. I am the only one in the office, at this time. I give them more info than NO INFO..... I do it, because if it is is "sent to all"...and my TM is not posting it or passing it along..... Then I am...... my men have a right to read the same Email that I got also... They only way they can get it, or form opinions of their own.... is to get the info....... without info.... they are left with nothing to go by......

I do not pretend to have a crystal ball or know it all.... just passing along info.... This is not what bluemule says, read it for yourself. Come into the office, sit at my desk, and YOU read it..... for yourself.... Pick and choose what you wish, what to take in, and what to throw out..of yer mind.....

And excuse me, if I had a buzz of hope of what I may have heard, and now think that maybe 10 men, Yellow and Roadway will still have a P&D job here, and not 6 men out of 12 laid off, as was thought before.... Sorry...but it just made sense to me.... and thought it worth mentioning.... Stranger things have been known to happen....

Things are not always the OLD WAYS of doing business anymore..... It just might surprise you that all I'm talking about ...just might come to pass as being true...... Read one of my old posts... I had said, I don't think I will have a job either , after it is all said and done... I'm not doing anything here for my benefit. I work in the office, My fate is questionable and without any resolve.... just offering up some alternative viewpoints...and let the reader decide......... cuz, yeah, nobody knows what will happen... But maybe I just gave someone some hope today to just hang in there and wait and see.... cuz what I say...just might turn out to be the truth... I'm not the only one saying it.......

I am providing an OPINION from ANOTHER SOURCE...the office..... sorry you think I don't know how to be a team player and play ball also and a fair game of it.... ( don't know my *** from 1st base)...... never pretended to.... just offering another side.... I been in the trucking business for a very long time..... And at every aspect and end of it.... Union/ non-union , small business, Line haul, P&D, office, and the big three....CF, Yellow, and now Roadway....

It's all the same business.....

I have noticed in many other instances that you don't know what you are talking about, and you just proved it again. I don't care if nobody else corrected you or if they had no problem with it. And don't tell me what I know and what I don't know. Anybody that comes on here and rips the company like you do, that is so obviously exposed, needs their head examined.

This is what is known as " attacking the person, and not the issue".... I will no longer bog this forum with such fodder...

Larry... YOU'RE THE WINNER !

I'd say we should call it a draw and declare the the contest over also!!!
Vwaggs

i believe you are wrong on this one........we will all be combined soon on one senority list at each domicile, so how can we run seperate as yellow or roadway.......we will all be yrcw period....in charleston sc we will all be on the same senority list......so if this is true what you say then i could bid out of yellows trucks and into a roadway truck......only makes sense to me.......hey just my opinion........nuff said.....:hide:

OK...Larry Retired said this himself, on a prior post...and I believe him... They are merging, per say, one may be a breakbulk, one may be an end of line....

First..ask yourself ... is this what the senior men are threating you with....

Do not neccessarily believe the OLD WAYS of doing business are still in play today, in the 21 st century..... The union has less power than ever , in this day and age.....My children..in their late 20's HATE the Union concept... Where in the HECK did they get THAT from???? Did they not read the book "Slaughter House Five" in high school? No, I guess they didn't.....These times are a changing and business moves forward.....

You have not given me much detail... Here in our little terminal, this was our first thoughts also, business as usual...... but then some info came in and we know what we saw ! We don't know for sure what is to happen here at our little place, in our place, in the end result, but we do know what we see, and what we can assess.... I think it's going to make a slow transistion, and small changes will be seen first.... It has been so far.... Nothing like we've ever seen before, when companys bought out other companies....before....

Is it already happening for you? Or is it just talk? Let us know.....we would all would like to know.... The area of which you are in, has not been yet affected by the new "velocity network" has it? That has only happened in the NorthEast so far as I know...... Tell us ..if this is just talk or it is HAPPENING RIGHT NOW..... I think you are in the same conference as Daytona.... and Daytona is not in that picture..yet...

Do not neccessarily believe the OLD WAYS of doing business are still in play today, in the 21 st century..... The union has less power than ever , in this day and age.....My children..in their late 20's HATE the Union concept... Where in the HECK did they get THAT from???? Did they not read the book "Slaughter House Five" in high school? No, I guess they didn't.....These times are a changing and business moves forward.....

Very interesting to think about here and I can certainly say I am seeing this same attitude from people about the union, in general. I was at a fantasy football draft a couple of weeks ago with some buddies I grew up with and many other people stopping in at our all day party. Furthermore, most spoke openly about needing "something" for the working class in this country, but felt the union was in the same lines as the people you see at a carnival, basically. Finally, Vince Lombardi would often times talk about the heart of a man and if you won that over he would follow you anywhere. At the same time, count the costs when you follow people out of blind faith too... :shades:

The union has less power than ever , in this day and age.....My children..in their late 20's HATE the Union concept... Where in the HECK did they get THAT from????

A bit off topic, but you touched on something I was just thinking about.

My wife was on the way home to Ohio yesterday. She stopped at a Pilot for a potty break. While she was in the bathroom, someone broke the windshield on the car. Needless to say, in spite of all the witnesses, no one "SAW" anything. Since it was a stupid act anyway, I didn't mention the Teamster sticker in the window may have prompted it happening.