Yellow | YRCW truck leasing info

Do you really think they only leased equipment this one time 4 years ago. This may be the only time we know of. It may have been going on for years before and has happened many times or continuously ever since this article quoted James Welch.. This sort of stuff is usually kept pretty hush - hush. They really don't want the employees to know what the leased equipment ratio is to owned equipment and how much that ratio is changing from owned to leased. To know that may show a pattern of things to come.

YRC Freight (as of 12/31/16)

-~7,700 tractors, including approximately 6,200 owned tractors and 1,500 leased tractors,

-~31,000 trailers, including approximately 24,900 owned trailers and 6,100 leased trailers.

YRC Regional Transportation (as of 12/31/16)

-~6,600 tractors including approximately 5,000 owned and 1,600 leased

-~13,500 trailers including approximately 10,800 owned and 2,700 leased.

-~7,700 tractors, including approximately 6,200 owned tractors and 1,500 leased tractors,

-~31,000 trailers, including approximately 24,900 owned trailers and 6,100 leased trailers.

and the source of this info is.....................
If the numbers are accurate, someone else will be rolling in the money..............the auctioneers.

Kk can get ya that info.he never posts fraudulent info
Just trying to get a better picture painted. If the leased/rental numbers are high and getting rapidly higher, that shows they are divesting themselves of assets in favor of untouchable equipment and property in a possible bankruptcy liquidation. If the leased/rental numbers keep going UP while owned property and equipment numbers keep going DOWN at the same rate - that is a bad sign of things to come. The numbers quoted don't show that, just what was as of 12/31/16.
With 44,500 trailers between YRC, Holland and New Penn (leased and/or owned), I just can;t understand why there is such a shortage of usable trailers to get the freight down the road at so many terminals. I realize many of that total are city "shag" trailers, but still it seems like a complete mismanagement of equipment - too many at places where they are NOT needed and not enough where they ARE needed. Sounds like nobody really has any idea where the empties are sitting. There needs to be a week set aside to take a complete, company-wide, "eyes-on" manual inventory of all trailer numbers and just where they are sitting, empty or full or in transit. A "computer only" inventory is not dependable enough. I wonder how many are sitting on rail cars or in the many rail yards around the country - both empty or loaded. I wonder how many are sitting at warehouses or at shipper's docks all over the country just being used as free storage space for those warehouses or shippers. There has to be a complete accounting on just where every trailer is (both company owned and leased) as well as how long it's been there and why. It's very easy to lose track of unmarked leased trailers, many of which all look the same except for the numbers. YRCW is still paying to lease those trailers whether they are moving down the road or just sitting somwhere empty unknown to YRC, New Penn or Holland.
Just leasing more and more trailers to make up for the empty one's they have lost track of and don't have the foggiest idea of where they are is not he answer.

Last edited:
Just trying to get a better picture painted. If the leased/rental numbers are high and getting rapidly higher, that shows they are divesting themselves of assets in favor of untouchable equipment and property in a possible bankruptcy liquidation. If the leased/rental numbers keep going UP while owned property and equipment numbers keep going DOWN at the same rate - that is a bad sign of things to come. The numbers quoted don't show that, just what was as of 12/31/16.
With 44,500 trailers between YRC, Holland and New Penn (leased and/or owned), I just can;t understand why there is such a shortage of usable trailers to get the freight down the road at so many terminals. I realize many of that total are city "shag" trailers, but still it seems like a complete mismanagement of equipment - too many at places where they are NOT needed and not enough where they ARE needed. Sounds like nobody really has any idea where the empties are sitting. There needs to be a week set aside to take a complete, company-wide, "eyes-on" manual inventory of all trailer numbers and just where they are sitting, empty or full or in transit. A "computer only" inventory is not dependable enough. I wonder how many are sitting on rail cars or in the many rail yards around the country - both empty or loaded. I wonder how many are sitting at warehouses or at shipper's docks all over the country just being used as free storage space for those warehouses or shippers. There has to be a complete accounting on just where every trailer is (both company owned and leased) as well as how long it's been there and why. It's very easy to lose track of unmarked leased trailers, many of which all look the same except for the numbers. YRCW is still paying to lease those trailers whether they are moving down the road or just sitting somwhere empty unknown to YRC, New Penn or Holland.
Just leasing more and more trailers to make up for the empty one's they have lost track of and don't have the foggiest idea of where they are is not he answer.
They know where most of these trailers are at all times.PTS railroad or linehaul.There are even some leased trailers that have gps tracking devices on them

Thanks for posting the info for the Bullheads on here and guess I'm not Wong after all about leasing ??:adoration:

Thanks for posting the info for the Bullheads on here and guess I'm not Wong after all about leasing ??:adoration:

May 4th YRCW Earnings Call For 1Q 2017

David Ross

And then last question for Stephanie. On the equipment side of things, you've made an effort to bring in as many new trucks as you can allow through operating leases at the moment. Can you talk about where we are in terms of margin impact of fleet replacement because for a while as the fleet was getting older, it was a margin headwind but then YRC was able to get enough breathing room to start replacing the fleet and mitigating that headwind. Are we at the point where the trucks you're bringing on are kind of margin-neutral in terms of the fleet not getting any older, so there is not necessarily incremental margin pressure, or are we get - are we at the point where you're bringing in enough new trucks where you're starting to get the margin back rather than stop the bleeding, if that makes sense?

Stephanie Fisher

Yes, it's a great question. I mean, I think we're at that turning point where we are starting to get margin back with fuel miles per gallon, less maintenance costs, better safety from the in-cab safety technology that comes along with the new equipment. So I think we are at that turning point, where the margin is now going to start improving with the new units that we're bringing on.

They know where most of these trailers are at all times.PTS railroad or linehaul.There are even some leased trailers that have gps tracking devices on them
OK. if that is so, why aren't the empties put (somehow) where they are needed. Why let the freight back up on the dock or sit in the yard in "trap trailers" waiting for empties to move it where it's supposed to go?
Where I worked for 16 years was considered an "end of the line" terminal where there was much more inbound than outbound freight. As a result, empty trailers tended to pile up and the home domicile drivers sat home a lot since the company didn't want to send them anywhere with an empty.
Instead the outbound freight would go with the foreign drivers in bed or THEY would occasionally pull an empty just to get them off the clock.
Their final answer to the problem was to put empties on the rail back to Chicago and finally send some of our home domicile drivers out with empties just to get the trailer balance back where it should be.
Nobody likes to run empties, whether it be on the rail or with company drivers, but when there is more inbound freight than outbound, it has to be done. If it isn't done there will eventually be a LOT of empties where they're not needed.
I'm wondering if that's what's happening now at YRC, creating trailer shortages at some terminals while empties are " backing up" in other yards, rail yards, rail cars or at customer docks and their yards.
I know this sort of thing happens, because when I worked for American Freight Sys. they used to rail some trailers out to California to a sister company we had then. Two trailers loaded with our freight went missing enroute. Nobody knew where they went. Finally two months later, somebody spotted them, still sitting on the flatbed rail car, on a railroad siding, in the middle of Kansas near a little "podunk" town. Needless to say, the customers were NOT happy and nobody could ever figure out what happened or why.

OK. if that is so, why aren't the empties put (somehow) where they are needed. Why let the freight back up on the dock or sit in the yard in "trap trailers" waiting for empties to move it where it's supposed to go?
Where I worked for 16 years was considered an "end of the line" terminal where there was much more inbound than outbound freight. As a result, empty trailers tended to pile up and the home domicile drivers sat home a lot since the company didn't want to send them anywhere with an empty.
Instead the outbound freight would go with the foreign drivers in bed or THEY would occasionally pull an empty just to get them off the clock.
Their final answer to the problem was to put empties on the rail back to Chicago and finally send some of our home domicile drivers out with empties just to get the trailer balance back where it should be.
Nobody likes to run empties, whether it be on the rail or with company drivers, but when there is more inbound freight than outbound, it has to be done. If it isn't done there will eventually be a LOT of empties where they're not needed.
I'm wondering if that's what's happening now at YRC, creating trailer shortages at some terminals while empties are " backing up" in other yards, rail yards, rail cars or at customer docks and their yards.
I know this sort of thing happens, because when I worked for American Freight Sys. they used to rail some trailers out to California to a sister company we had then. Two trailers loaded with our freight went missing enroute. Nobody knew where they went. Finally two months later, somebody spotted them, still sitting on the flatbed rail car, on a railroad siding, in the middle of Kansas near a little "podunk" town. Needless to say, the customers were NOT happy and nobody could ever figure out what happened or why.
This empties problem is huge.. they should have a change of ops just to fix this!!!!

This empties problem is huge.. they should have a change of ops just to fix this!!!!
Agree.
But they sold alot for scrap or pennies on the dollar years ago.
I think. Not an expert on this by no means.
Freight is unpredictable. But. Predictable too. End of month. End of quarter comes to mind.
If I knew this were coming up I would be stashing empties and making excuses to the people above.
Empties are there. No one wants them if they don't need them.
Viscous circle with the jerks. Pun intended.
Just an observation by me. And I'm no one in the scheme of things.
On with the show.

This is my take, knowing that most EOL's are inbound heavy; have the numbers crunching staff analyze total pulls between terminals. Example: breakbulk has ten pulls to EOL. Based on tonnage and bill count, EOL has six pulls to BB. Rather than meeting load factor to move pulls, match freight to pulls. Spread freight among pulls to end BB. Rather than fight to load high and tight to travel short haul, headload to final BB, back off with OD and non square freight. Fewer touches, fewer claims and lower labor cost.

This is my take, knowing that most EOL's are inbound heavy; have the numbers crunching staff analyze total pulls between terminals. Example: breakbulk has ten pulls to EOL. Based on tonnage and bill count, EOL has six pulls to BB. Rather than meeting load factor to move pulls, match freight to pulls. Spread freight among pulls to end BB. Rather than fight to load high and tight to travel short haul, headload to final BB, back off with OD and non square freight. Fewer touches, fewer claims and lower labor cost.
Stop it! Stop talking sense on here!! Someone in management might read this!!!

Maybe, but will they comprehend?
I know the head guy at BRG Patel Consulting... I can have them do an evaluation study,possibly work up a video showing the pros and cons,along with maybe a company wide conference call,and hold nationwide townhall meetings to answer questions....And post the results on here....

I know the head guy at BRG Patel Consulting... I can have them do an evaluation study,possibly work up a video showing the pros and cons,along with maybe a company wide conference call,and hold nationwide townhall meetings to answer questions....And post the results on here....
If you start making sense. We know your crazy.
Lol.