XPO | Zdm: The Latest Erroneous Response To Their Damage Woes.

Metaldisector

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm interested to everyone's thoughts on ZDM (Zero Defect Method). I think it's the wrong response to the freight damage issue. Strapping all decked pallets to the wall is a waste of time. Productivity will plummet. We will run out of straps...oh wait, we already did.
Let's hear it.

I think ZDM can work if time is allotted for it, but that's not what they do here. This company, even as Conway has never understood that you cannot simultaneously have nicely loaded trailers, cubed out at 110%, with short load windows until cut times, and with a motor move average of 11-13 mm/hour. The company has to pick and choose which is most important and focus on that. Otherwise it's a total fail, like it is now.

Fundamentals. Training. Knowledge. Experience.

If these are emphasized and prioritized the numbers will follow.

Respect who your customer is. Know who your customer is.

People not exposed to outside customers seem to think there are no consequences for their bad actions. We all have customers - the person that unloads your trailer , the person that receives your paperwork , the person that runs the trailer you loaded , the drivers you manage or supervise , you get the point.

Don't crap on your customer.

Fundamentals. Training. Knowledge. Experience.

If these are emphasized and prioritized the numbers will follow.

Respect who your customer is. Know who your customer is.

People not exposed to outside customers seem to think there are no consequences for their bad actions. We all have customers - the person that unloads your trailer , the person that receives your paperwork , the person that runs the trailer you loaded , the drivers you manage or supervise , you get the point.

Don't crap on your customer.
Take care of the customer, and everything else will fall in place, because ltl is becoming a commodity, so how will XPO stand apart From other LTL carriers? I’m all for trying new things, but XPO is famous for dragging out bad concepts! If it works great, if not lets stop, and find something that works!

Last edited:
I never heard of the term ZDM, I guess our barn never got that email. We can't even get any dock workers to strap hazmat.

As soon as they expanded the dock worker program, without putting any effort into training them, they sealed it. You can’t put the genie back. The majority of drivers I believe care about the freight, and load it properly. Dock workers who don’t have to pull the loaded trailers, simply get to clock out and walk away.

As soon as they expanded the dock worker program, without putting any effort into training them, they sealed it. You can’t put the genie back. The majority of drivers I believe care about the freight, and load it properly. Dock workers who don’t have to pull the loaded trailers, simply get to clock out and walk away.
You forgot the one big thing the dockworker doesn't have to do.... Look the customer in the eye.

The biggest problem with the system are the plastic deck boards. everything slides on them.
I loaded many trailer and if you follow the loading policy, the one before this ZDM trailer cube was in the 80%. Yet LH comes down with number like 98 cube and 21K per trailer. Man I wish I could get some of the drugs they are on. So now you have a FOS tell his dockworker to cram the trailer because of these BS numbers.
Also not are the loading of trailer the problem it also the way some of the driver drive. Back in the day when I did flatbed and lowboy work I seem it many time. When you put a 80,000lb machine on you lowboy I don't care how many chains and binders you put on it. Drive like an idiot and that machine is coming off that trailer

The biggest problem with the system are the plastic deck boards. everything slides on them.
I loaded many trailer and if you follow the loading policy, the one before this ZDM trailer cube was in the 80%. Yet LH comes down with number like 98 cube and 21K per trailer. Man I wish I could get some of the drugs they are on. So now you have a FOS tell his dockworker to cram the trailer because of these BS numbers.
Also not are the loading of trailer the problem it also the way some of the driver drive. Back in the day when I did flatbed and lowboy work I seem it many time. When you put a 80,000lb machine on you lowboy I don't care how many chains and binders you put on it. Drive like an idiot and that machine is coming off that trailer
Now we are getting cardboard in also to use on deck boards. It's awful. Gets destroyed after one use

Yes, I was being sarcastic. The cardboard doesn’t slide like plastic when stacking pallets, but it’s not good for much else. It is what it is.
What what i see it alot easier to driver over with the forklift. Those damm plastic deck board make them get off there lift and move them out of there way.

I was told the cardboard is replacing the half sheets of plywood. They do a great job protecting drums etc. I use what’s available, which is sometimes nothing.
I guess the new dockworker were getting to many splinter and how heavy they were.

I guess the new dockworker were getting to many splinter and how heavy they were.
I don’t think they are a good replacement for plywood but I am using them as that’s all that’s available. I don’t see anyone else using them at all. They do get trashed easily. I just chuck a couple between pallets, try to unfold or use as best I can to protect the freight. Most dockworkers I see don’t use any dunnage anyway.