TForce | Zone Drivers & Union

It will be totally the drivers choice. Since it is just one driver, who will he need protection from?

They are still domiciled out of a larger terminal, meaning they report to a TM just like we all do. And I would think the same card check agreement applies to these guys as well.

Many locals have grieved these zone drivers under the past practice of a 150 mile job posting. So many of these drivers may one day be replaced by employees domiciled from terminals with 150 miles of the new zone locations.:duh:

It will be totally the drivers choice. Since it is just one driver, who will he need protection from?

Himself of course, like when he doesnt take the key with him when he gets out to pre trip. He'll have to write himself up, then grieve himself.

Many locals have grieved these zone drivers under the past practice of a 150 mile job posting. So many of these drivers may one day be replaced by employees domiciled from terminals with 150 miles of the new zone locations.:duh:

Haven't heard that before what is zone drivers?

Haven't heard that before what is zone drivers?

Zone drivers are drivers that are being placed in areas that were previously serviced by interline carriers..
In some cases they will work out of a small package hub or a truck stop,line haul drivers will drop their peddle trailer and pick up the trailer that they loaded thruout the day on their way thru..
Karen

If I remeber these jobs were posted, so whats to grieve?

Zone drivers are drivers that are being placed in areas that were previously serviced by interline carriers..
In some cases they will work out of a small package hub or a truck stop,line haul drivers will drop their peddle trailer and pick up the trailer that they loaded thruout the day on their way thru..
Karen

Thanks Karen,

You stated package. Is that what UPS does. Now UPSF is starting to do the same thing???

Con-way does alot of this, and there seems to be quite a few managers of theres that came here.

That is probaly where this idea came from.

Thanks Karen,

You stated package. Is that what UPS does. Now UPSF is starting to do the same thing???

Yes UPS Freight is doing this..
It is eliminating the interline guys while building up outbound service in areas that were not focused on before.

If I remeber these jobs were posted, so whats to grieve?
Overnite,
Yes, these jobs were posted but current employees were not allowed to apply to those zone centers, because UPS was not allowing transfers. I tried to transfer but was not allowed, and the sad part about this is I'm on lay-off status.

I bet the union fights this tooth and nail, if a currrent union employee transfers to a zone terminal wouldn't that zone terminal then be a union terminal?

Zone drivers are like special services drivers, They will have a truck and trailer and will probably not have a terminal, the towns they operate in are small, and might have 1 or 2 core buisness's to pickup or deliver to. They will be small areas 150 miles from the larger terminal or city.That is who will be taking care of them. Most of the time the Zone driver will live in the small town (s) he sevices, some will have acsess to a dock and a forklift, some will not. He might get 3 hours 1 day, 10 the next, and some time depending on the weather and how rural he is, he might not get work at all, I dont believe he or her will be Union, because of the speciality and isolation of their job classification.